cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula Ram Question

Leveecius
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a quick question, hoping it's a simple one too. I've been digging around and I think I have the answer I don't want to hear, but I think it's what I'm going to hear. Up until yesterday I have been running my pc on 16GB of G.Skill Ram @ 4405mhz with the DDCP settings in the BIOS and it has been running flawlessly. Well lately I've been running more intense things and decided to upgrade to 32GB of ram. So, I just bought 2 more 8GB sticks of the same RAM I already had. Put them in yesterday, now PC won't boot. DDCP profile enabled will cause a no boot. It will literally turn off almost immediately. Then when it finally does boot, it boots into safe mode and RAM speed is at 2133mhz. So looking around at the QVL and through a few threads, is it possible to run @ 4405 mhz with 4 sticks of ram on the Formula? Or am I going to have to just bite the bullet and buy 2 16GB sticks and go from there? Or is it possible to even tune it to 3600 or something? I'd like to see it run at 4400mhz again, but not really sure I'll be able to. Here are the build specs:

Crosshair VIII Formula
Ryzen 3950X
Thermaltake 1250watt Plat. PSU
32 GB G.Skill F4-4400C18D-16GTZRC (4x8GB)
GTX 1080x2
Custom Dual Water Cooling loops
m.2 Hard drives

No overclocking done minus the GPU's.
3 REPLIES 3

GoLLuM13
Level 7
Hello, my answer won't make you happy but seeing the QVL for Ryzen 3000 series CPU there's absolutely no RAM kit mentioned running with 4 DIMMs starting from 3733Mhz except one Corsair kit at 4000 MHz and if I remember correctly you're losing performance (to a certain degree) above 3600 MHz anyway because the FCLK is rated to max at 1800 MHz, and you're supposed to have a ratio of 1:1 with the memory (which means 3600 Mhz)
What you can try anyway is to do a Clear CMOS, go to BIOS, don't use DOCP set up your memory manually in the "Extreme Tweaker" tab, you should start from 2133 MHz and see if it boots. If it does raise a little bit the frequency speed until you can't boot to know what is your max with 4 DIMMs. If you reach 3600 MHz and still can boot, you already did a LOT. If you reach a speed of 3600 MHz or less, and it's bootable/stable you can try to set up FCLK to the corresponding value (you divide the value by two, for ex: DRAM at 3600 MHz = FCLK at 1800 MHz), after this you can tune the timings with your kit timings as a start point (you can find them on the box of your RAM or on the "Tool" Tab there's a tool named "Asus SPD Information")
Of course, if you're not comfortable doing all this, then don't 😮
Main PC : Asus C8HW / AMD Ryzen 9 3900x / 32 Go 3000 Mhz C15 Corsair Vengeance RGB / nVidia RTX 3090 FE / Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500G / Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black / Lian-li O11 Dynamic XL RoG Certified / Corsair AX1500i
Secondary PC : Asus R5E / Intel i7 5930K / 16 Go 2800 Mhz C16 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 / Asus GTX 980 Poseidon / Samsung 850 Pro 256G / XSPC W/C / Cooler Master Cosmos 2 / FSP Hydro G Pro 850

I figured as much. I'm not super familiar with OC'ing RAM, and my successes with it are hit or miss. I will dig around and try to see if there is a better utility or guide to help me through it as I'd like to see it as high as I can get it. I know 2133 is the default speed for the BIOS, but knowing it's 1/2 my speed just... bothers me lol. So I'll see if I can get it a little higher. Thanks!

Baio73
Level 8
G.Skill kits should be identical, even if not bought at the same time... but with T-Topology motherboards, running 4 sticks is always a mess.
Id' try what GoLLuM13 wrote, maybe try a little bump to RAM voltage, but 99% the best option for you is to send back the new kit, sell the older one as used and grab a 2x16 new kit.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100