cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Viii Formula onboard wi-fi under-performing

fgentile01
Level 7
I just built a PC last week that I am using for gaming and work. Its based on the Viii Formula MB, AMD Ryzen 9 3950x, and a Asus Strix 2070 Super Gaming. The MB has built in wi-fi so I decided to use it rather then buying a card or a USB wi-fi adapter. Its been about 3 days of troubleshooting and still the best I am getting for performance on internet speed tests is 20MB down and 4 up. My four year old ASUS laptop gets over 300 down and over 20 up. My internet wi-fi is through a cable modem wi-fi router that is 5.0.

The on-board wi-fi on the MB is an intel device and its a wi-fi 6 capable device.

At this point after numerous re-application of drivers and patching and setting changes I am about to give up and just use a USB connected adapter.

I just hate to not use what came with what is a very expensive MB to me.

Any ideas on how to get the Formula's wi-fi adapter to work with I guess is a legacy internet 5.0 router?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks..
7 REPLIES 7

fgentile01
Level 7
After BIOS updates to v2010 and Windows updates to v2004 the on-board wi-fi disappeared then came back after a few reboots. Currently the onboard wifi will not connect to my wifi router now. A USB 6.0 wifi adapter does and at nearly 300mbs.

ASUS support wants me to RMA to board.. likely will take months to get something back.

So my questions:

1. Does anyone with a Crosshair board have wi-fi working and does it work well?
2. Should I cut my losses and just do a return to the seller and take my money and go buy something from another brand?
3. Should I RMA and wait... and hope its all worth it in the end.
4. Should I just use the USB wi-fi adapter and deal with a defective component.

I am undecided. If I get a refund I won't be able to find a board nearly as feature rich since COVID prices drove all tech up in price. If I RMA I might get back a worse board.. more issues.

Returned board. Â*It’s defective since even wired network is slow all compared to other PCs on my networkÂ*

It's a driver issue, not a hardware issue. After Windows 2004 update there was an update to the WiFi 6 adapter via windows. You can always use your device manager to manually update the network drivers.

james702283 wrote:
It's a driver issue, not a hardware issue.

Hi,

Yes I agree, it's probably a drivers issue.

Try to update your Intel WiFi/BT Drivers (you can also update your Intel Ethernet Drivers) to the latest from this thread : [DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/BT.

MoKiChU
Level 40
james702283 wrote:
It's a driver issue, not a hardware issue.

Hi,

They should try to update their Intel WiFi/BT Drivers to the latest from this thread before RMA : [DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/BT.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

They should try to update their Intel WiFi/BT Drivers to the latest from this thread before RMA : [DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/BT.

Yup
Version 21.90.3.2
2020/06/0963.08 MBytes
Intel WiFi Driver v21.90.3.2 for Windows 10 64-bit

I just tried to update the drivers again (like the 20th time by the way), this time using the update package link provided on this thread. Same result.. the wi-fi adapter cannot connected to any wi-fi network. Note at the begining of this.. the wifi performance was just really bad.. well messing with upgrading bios just killed it. I even went out and purchased a brand new wi-fi 6 router.. was almost 500 bucks.

Oh and yes.. I reverted to previous bios, upgraded to new, reinstalled windows 2 times.

I am packing up the board today.. sending it back to the vendor I bought from and buying another ASUS formula board.. I got my RMA from my vendor. Yes, I am that loyal that I am going to try this again with a new board. I have had this board 2 weeks, and I have spent about 50 hours of my time on this single issue. If the new board has the same exact problem I will likely have to rethink my brand loyalty.

Anyways.. thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Sometimes you get a bad board.