cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula New Bios 2103

Super_Gnome
Level 11
There is a new bios, 2103, released 2020/06/29.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Formula/HelpDesk_Download/

Currently downloading it online via Asus EZ Flash 3 Utility doesn't work though. If you try, you get the message: File not found. Server connection failed.

Anyone else having, or not having this issue?

Regardless, you can still download it and copy it to a usb stick and then install it that way. It seems to work fine, though, in my case.
24 REPLIES 24

meerkat154 wrote:
Odd - yes there are two BIOS released same day: 2103 and 2010.
Updated via the BIOS EZUpdater to 2103 and having nothing but problems. Reset BIOS to defaults and still receiving "A fatal hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core". CPU IS AMD 3950X.

Attempted to flash 2010 through Windows AI Suite -> EZFlash but received the BIOS does not match the selected version error.
Anyone having similar issue?
Thanks,
Meerkat

I have the same motherboard and CPU. This is what I did. I got the file and copied it to a USB drive after formatting the drive (default format). I then named it C8F.CAP. Then I got into the Bios and updated using the tool there plugging the drive to one of the front ports (one of the latest of those). The tool downloaded it and it worked like a charm.

You say you are having nothing but problems. Maybe try what I did. I don't trust AI Suite at all, myself. It seems good for fan control but that's about it.

Super Gnome wrote:
I have the same motherboard and CPU. This is what I did. I got the file and copied it to a USB drive after formatting the drive (default format). I then named it C8F.CAP. Then I got into the Bios and updated using the tool there plugging the drive to one of the front ports (one of the latest of those). The tool downloaded it and it worked like a charm.

You say you are having nothing but problems. Maybe try what I did. I don't trust AI Suite at all, myself. It seems good for fan control but that's about it.

Super - thanks - will try that next. I just loaded the new AMD chipset drivers also released in June 2020. Going to wait and see.
It is confusing on which BIOS to use - 2103 or 2010 🙂
-Meerkat

meerkat154 wrote:
Super - thanks - will try that next. I just loaded the new AMD chipset drivers also released in June 2020. Going to wait and see.
It is confusing on which BIOS to use - 2103 or 2010 🙂
-Meerkat

Yeah, it is confusing isn't it? The thing about 2103 is that it the latest and it improves system performance. Hence, it is the better one. However, I have another rig with a different motherboard and a few of us with that motherboard have trouble with the latest Bios. It has our CPUs running at very high temperatures and core speeds so we have all reverted back to an older Bios. The point is, if for some reason there is a problem you probably want a Bios that works properly. Maybe others are having the same problem too. Asus software is not one of its strong points, not that other good motherboard makers are any better, though.

Super Gnome wrote:
Yeah, it is confusing isn't it? The thing about 2103 is that it the latest and it improves system performance. Hence, it is the better one. However, I have another rig with a different motherboard and a few of us with that motherboard have trouble with the latest Bios. It has our CPUs running at very high temperatures and core speeds so we have all reverted back to an older Bios. The point is, if for some reason there is a problem you probably want a Bios that works properly. Maybe others are having the same problem too. Asus software is not one of its strong points, not that other good motherboard makers are any better, though.

Thats why i'm on v1302. With v2010 and 2103 a lot of kernel power issues (system crash reboots), and mouse lags in bios. And the v2103 haves corrupted my windows 10 installation. System was slower than normal. And I had to do a clean install. Since i have flashed with flashback to v1302. system runs fine. No kernel power anymore, and mouse works normal in bios.

Mister-JDM wrote:
Thats why i'm on v1302. With v2010 and 2103 a lot of kernel power issues (system crash reboots), and mouse lags in bios. And the v2103 haves corrupted my windows 10 installation. System was slower than normal. And I had to do a clean install. Since i have flashed with flashback to v1302. system runs fine. No kernel power anymore, and mouse works normal in bios.

I am going to try to roll back the BIOS also to 1302. Too many crashes with 2103. Manual doesn't specifically talk about flashback tool oddly enough. I tried to rename the BIOS to CPE.CAP but both Windows and new BIOS Ezflash won't load the file.

Update - flashback just blinks twice. Is there a specific USB port on the back of case to use? I have FAT32 drive plugged in with C8HW.CAP file in root.
-Meerkat.

meerkat154 wrote:
I am going to try to roll back the BIOS also to 1302. Too many crashes with 2103. Manual doesn't specifically talk about flashback tool oddly enough. I tried to rename the BIOS to CPE.CAP but both Windows and new BIOS Ezflash won't load the file.

Update - flashback just blinks twice. Is there a specific USB port on the back of case to use? I have FAT32 drive plugged in with C8HW.CAP file in root.
-Meerkat.

I believe there are four ways to do it.

1. Download to USB and use port at the back. (This typically works but is a bit of a hassle--if you need details, check the manual. Alternately, I know of a video that explains it to some degree and can post it).
2. Download to USB. Go into the BIOS and use the tool there via USB. (This worked for me).
3. Go into the BIOS and use the tool there to get the new BIOS online. (This did not work for me but has worked in the past).
4. Use EZ Update in AI Suite II. (May or may not work).

meerkat154 wrote:

-Meerkat.

Above the usb c port, there is an usb port with bios above it. That one is for the Flashback.

Mister-JDM wrote:
Above the usb c port, there is an usb port with bios above it. That one is for the Flashback.

Thank you Mister-IDM. Digging through manual found correct USB port and rolled back to 1302 until Asus can figure out their BIOS.
I hope my CPU did not go bad and this is just a coincidence with a new BIOS.

Update: No crashes since rolling back to 1302.
My setup is:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Founders)
Patriot Memory 32GB 4400 C19 Series

Thanks,
-Meekat

meerkat154 wrote:
Thank you Mister-IDM. Digging through manual found correct USB port and rolled back to 1302 until Asus can figure out their BIOS.
I hope my CPU did not go bad and this is just a coincidence with a new BIOS.

Update: No crashes since rolling back to 1302.
My setup is:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Founders)
Patriot Memory 32GB 4400 C19 Series

Thanks,
-Meekat

Great to hear you dont have any issues with v1302. My system is runs fine now with after the downgrade to v1302. And i dont see any app crash notes in eventviewer. You can see now that bios updates are not always better than the older ones.

Mister-JDM wrote:
Great to hear you dont have any issues with v1302. My system is runs fine now with after the downgrade to v1302. And i dont see any app crash notes in eventviewer. But im not amused that v2103 have corrupted my windows install. You can see now
that bios updates are not always better than the older ones.

For grins I loaded 2010. Rock solid - zero crashes so far for two days. Not sure why my system is not happy with 2103. Curious if others went from 1302 -> 2010 -> 2103 or 1302 -> 2103 directly.
-Meerkat.