cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair viii extreme + 5950x, wont boot with d.o.c.p enabled

ImpetuousRacer
Level 7
So, just picked up an Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme and cant get it to boot with 3600Mhz ram!
My setup is identical to what I had before (except I had a Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi) and it booted fine. (5950X CPU)

RAM I AM USING:
I'm using the G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite Series 64GB (16x4).
XMP is 14-14-14-34 @ 1.45V
Ram kit is QVL'd for the Dark Hero, Formula board, Hero, etc. (but not specifically for the Extreme).

ISSUE:
I tried enabling the DOCP, after saving BIOS settings, PC turns off, then I see the RGB on the ram do a quick flicker, then PC turn offs and tries again, so on and so forth until it fails and puts back to stock settings to boot - receive an F9 error.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
I tried manually setting ram to 3600, leave timings to Auto and 1.45V - kept stepping up the Voltage all the way up to 1.55V to try and get it to post.
Tried SOC at 1.1. Just doesnt want to boot at 3600. Highest I can boot at is 3466Mhz - anything beyond that wont boot.

I'm on the latest BIOS 0504. I've tried both VDDG at 1.00v and the VDDP voltage at .95v, gear down enabled and at 2T. Tried very loose timing settings.
I tried reseating the heatsink to make sure there wasnt too much tension, I pulled the CPU, checked to see if pins and socket looked clean, hit it with some canned air. Reseated everything. Cleared CMOS. Still no dice.

All power connections are plugged in, have a 1000W Seasonic Prime Titanium.

HERO WIFI WORKED PERFECT
On the Hero board, I'd just set DOCP and worked on every BIOS I updated to on that board without issue. Same Video card, CPU, Ram, etc.

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I TRY?
What settings should I try to get it to post? Any reason why it would work on lesser board? Is this an RMA thing? or an immature BIOS thing? A setting change I've missed? Thanks for the help!
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

16x4 is always going to be tough at those speeds. You're likely going to need more than 1.1v SOC, too. What Q-CODE does the board hang on?

Test up to 1.2v SOC and see if this helps DRAM training.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

16x4 is always going to be tough at those speeds. You're likely going to need more than 1.1v SOC, too. What Q-CODE does the board hang on?

Test up to 1.2v SOC and see if this helps DRAM training.

I receive error F9.

I tried 1.2v SOC and playing around with upping other voltages too and no luck. Just doesn't want to go past anything over 3466. Immediate F9 after saving.

I updated to the latest 4001 BETA BIOS, and now XMP profile works without issue.

I spoke too soon. I installed windows 11, got through the install, connected to WiFi, then computer crashed with F9 memory error then wouldnt boot with memory settings. I tried XMP profile again, tried tweaking many settings and it just wont boot at 3600Mhz. I purchased another Extreme board thinking it was faulty, same exact issue, 3466Mhz max memory. Have no idea how/why it suddenly worked briefly and now no longer works.