cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII 2501's for testing

Shamino
273 REPLIES 273

dordoka wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't realize about the option to set my System Specs in my profile. They are now updated.

My problem is simple: load optimized defaults in BIOS 2502, install Windows 10 Pro from scratch.

Hey dordoka, I would not be using BETA BIOS to install Windows 10. Try Version 2204 or 2206 for Windows Install

Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

RedSector73 wrote:
Hey dordoka, I would not be using BETA BIOS to install Windows 10. Try Version 2204 or 2206 for Windows Install

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply mate! Will give it a try following these steps to see if it makes a diference and report back.

RedSector73 wrote:

Hey RedSector. Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been making more tests.

I tried your suggestion, but the outcome was the same.

Nevertheless, all my previous attempts were done using the latest Windows 10 update (20H2, October 2020).

Yesterday I tried reinstalling, following exactly the same steps and with the same hardware, but using Windows 10 build 2004 instead (May 2020 update) and... low and behold, everything runs perfectly so far. It's been running finde for about a total of 10 hours, surviving cold and hard reboots, shutdowns, coming out of sleep, etc. I will keep trying, but apparently there's something very wrong with Windows 10 20H2, at least with my hardware.

Thanks again for your help.

I put this to the test by building a system with Formula Board and a different type of DDR4 that I have in my Hero, along with another X570 board:

I also ordered an MSI Edge as Amazon had one on sale.

I ordered two lots of DDR4 different type as it was fast with tight timings:

2 x ( USD$412.30 ) G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3800 (PC4 30400) Desktop Memory Model F4-3800C14Q-32GTZN

from the States - one lot in the MSI and one lot in the Asus.

Same issues with the Formula as I have with the Hero.

The MSI runs perfectly every time.

Asus - you really need to get this fixed - it is damaging your reputation and your sales. I now, only build MSI Tomahawk systems - I cannot recommend Asus to customers until this is fixed.

RedSector73 wrote:
I've lost count on the posts of Corsair Vengance and problems with Ryzen. The issue isnt the BIOS or motherboard or the CPU .... leaving the RAM.

Just saying, I been burnt by it as well and YMMV but ~imo F$#% using Corsair ram.

Well, reading comments around makes one think that even G.Skill RAM causes many problems... 😞
Of course I'm jokking and you are right, the main problem with Corsair RAM is that you can buy 3 kits with identical code and get 3 different kind of chips... sound like a lottery!
Never understood why Corsair takes so little attention to a crucial component as RAM.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Jackalito
Level 7
Thanks for the new betas, Shamino. It's much appreciated.

Still waiting for my new parts to test it out with Ryzen 5000. But I might as well flash this one and give it a go with my current 3900X. Right now I'm using 2402 without any issues 🙂
In space no one can hear you scream.

dordoka
Level 7
I spoke too soon previously. Explorer.exe crash loop just after login. Reboots out of nowhere... Totally unstable here.

arcanexvi
Level 9
@shamino teasing me with the Dark Hero BIOS and I can't even get my hands on one 😛

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Just a follow-up on 2502... been running a bit less than a day, about 16-18 hours - similar results to 2501, in that I'm stable with 4 dimms and "standard" settings. Have done a bit of benchmarking, a bit of encoding, a bit of gameplay, lots of file transfers, etc. - so far so good.. and fingers crossed :).

I am not expressly overclocking - I am just running stock Optimized Default settings and enabling DCOP and setting FCLK to 1800 instead of auto. All other recent "workaround" changes trying to get stable with 4 dimms were not done, ie I have not disabled PBO Max, or DF Cstates, I have not under/overvolted anywhere, mem at 1.35v. Only changes other than mentioned are housekeeping related, ie enabling SVM for Virtual Machines, disabling onboard wifi and disabling Crate install.

Might not be much help or use to those that are trying to OC, but for my mainly content creation workstation so far 2501/02 seems to allow 4 dimm use with stability, which I wasn't able to do before since adding the 2nd set. Specs are in the dropdown, but basically C8H WiFi, 3900X, 4x16 GSkill 3600 C16 B-Die.

I'll test a bit more, I haven't let it sleep yet, so need to make sure no e41's when sleeping/coming out of sleep, and then might try to tune up the memory with the dram calc - but that has been a total fail for me so far :(. Maybe I should just keep DCOP timings and be happy I got there... Hoping this holds up as I plan to move to 5900 or 5950x as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Temps/Voltages