cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII 2501's for testing

Shamino
273 REPLIES 273

Thanks SHAMINO, this has resolved the issue on my Impact board (Not being able to use D.O.C.P).

ffletchs
Level 10
I just intstalled 2502, (C8H nonWiFi) and had very little luck

Memory is CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 32GB (4x 8GB)
tried first DOCP, no other change, failed to boot to windows
tried DOCP but lowered to DDR3200, failed to boot to windows
tried all auto, booted to windows but was unstable

before these new bioses I could run DDR3733@dram calculator settings

This works about as well as a 2402 bios for me (good). However I still need to manually set SOC and the other voltages in order to get stability.

ffletchs wrote:

update, bios is setting incorrect CPU SOC voltage, sometimes it sets it to <1.0V ~ 0.98V and then my machine is unstable at any settings

Manually settings CPU SOC to ~1.08-1.09V brings back some stability, still not as good as before

I hope they are still working on the issues with random reboots some of us with specific hardware configurations are using.

R9 3900x (purchased lauch week)
C8H (non-wifi)
G.Skill 32GB 3600 - F4-3600C16D-32GTZR

I've tried a few of the BIOS's and have had instability with anything past 1302. Any word on a fix for us?

ffletchs wrote:

I've lost count on the posts of Corsair Vengance and problems with Ryzen. The issue isnt the BIOS or motherboard or the CPU .... leaving the RAM.

Just saying, I been burnt by it as well and YMMV but ~imo F$#% using Corsair ram.

RedSector73 wrote:
I've lost count on the posts of Corsair Vengance and problems with Ryzen. The issue isnt the BIOS or motherboard or the CPU .... leaving the RAM.

Just saying, I been burnt by it as well and YMMV but ~imo F$#% using Corsair ram.

Going back to an older bios, everything is good, so the ram is fine, but I aggree its the combination, I ordered 2 stick of Samsung B-die memory, hopefully I'll have better luck with those

RedSector73 wrote:

I have an unstable system and my RAM is not Corsair branded. Corsair RAM might be problematic, but I reckon there's more into this issue...

dordoka wrote:
I have an unstable system and my RAM is not Corsair branded. Corsair RAM might be problematic, but I reckon there's more into this issue...

Cant see your system specifications to comment or help. This BIOS is stable for me just like they all have been bar one bios not long ago however finial version was. What I said about corsair RAM is universal to AM4 platform not this one or ASUS or a BIOS but Ryzen from ZEN Gen 1 to Gen 3 and speaking from experience and helping people on more than one forum.

I still like Corsair products just zero trust their RAM.

Of which, Vengeance RAM is cheap, loot box crap, where the version number will determine if it works or fails. This version number allows them to change anything about it as long as hit the same primary timings and make QVL for it useless. YMMV & my rant is over..

RedSector73 wrote:
Cant see your system specifications to comment or help. This BIOS is stable for me just like they all have been bar one bios not long ago however finial version was. What I said about corsair RAM is universal to AM4 platform not this one or ASUS or a BIOS but Ryzen from ZEN Gen 1 to Gen 3 and speaking from experience and helping people on more than one forum.

I still like Corsair products just zero trust their RAM.

Of which, Vengeance RAM is cheap, loot box crap, where the version number will determine if it works or fails. This version number allows them to change anything about it as long as hit the same primary timings and make QVL for it useless. YMMV & my rant is over..

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I didn't realize about the option to set my System Specs in my profile. They are now updated.

My problem is simple: load optimized defaults in BIOS 2502, install Windows 10 Pro from scratch. Problems start in the last phase of Windows installation (it takes longer than it should). After the installation is finished and computer is restarted, I enter my password on the login screen and it takes about 1min to show the desktop. When it finally gets into the desktop, the taskbar is frozen.

What I found out is that explorer.exe hangs: that's the reason it takes so long to show the desktop after login (it eventually gets restarted). The corresponding entry in event viewer is as follows:

The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.546 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 1370
Start Time: 01d6b91a260e336a
Termination Time: 0
Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Report Id: faba2063-b982-461f-9ad8-9dd929ddac0e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

Explorer hanging is also the reason why the taskbar is unresponsive. When I interact with it with the mouse or issue an explorer shorcut (alt tab, windows+R, etc), explorer.exe gets restarted and, if I'm lucky, everything starts to work. If I'm not, explorer.exe gets into a crash/freeze/restart loop and Windows is unusable.

I have tried disconnecting all periphericals but the mouse and keyboard, disabling services, etc. I've tried setting DOCP for my RAM, disabling PBO, using another hard drive for the windows installation. Getting a dump from the frozen explorer.exe and checking it in WinDbg... but no luck and I'm out of ideas.

If this BIOS is really stable, I'm perfectly fine with that. I would just love a confirmation whenever possible (I understand I'm using a not yet realeased BIOS). This is a completely brand new system and time is ticking for me to be able to return it whole or some parts.

Please, anyone has any idea? Thanks in advance.