Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero WiFi totally unstable

Flexerl
Level 7
Hello Forum,

I just built a brandnew rig:
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero Wifi
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
G.Skill 32 GB Quad DIMM Kit (F4-3466C16Q-32GTZR)
ASUS Strix Vega 64, mounted vertically via riser cable
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVME
Seasonic 650W Titanium Power Supply

All this is placed in a Lian Li PC-O11 WGX, cooled by 6 Enermax T.B. RGB Fans

I'm really frustrated right now and on the verge of sending everything back. No matter what I do, I just can't get it stable. For the record: Everything is @ stock, settings on AUTO unless otherwise stated. Temps have never been a problem, the CPU gets to 80° at max (CPU Fan @ 3000 rpm).

What I tried initially:
- The CH VII won't boot if i select the XMP setting in the BIOS, so booting with 4 DIMMS @3466 is impossible (gives me 3 beeps on boot, even with 1.4V), maximum it will boot: 3200 MHz
- So I went with 3200 MHZ and loose Timings (16-18-18-38, as deemed stable for 3466)

Where I am now, after several crashes:
- I gradually reduced RAM Speed from 3200 down to 2933 MHz and even looser Timings with 16-21-21-49 due to crashes without getting to the root cause (but I was guessing it's a RAM issue)
- I uninstalled all the ASUS Software like AISuite 3 and the like which is supposed to be responsible for sudden shutdowns as stated in other threads (even though I never had/ran Corsair Link or NZXT stuff)
- The only Software remaining is ASUS Grid, GPU Tweak II, Aura Sync, Sonic Studio 3, HWInfo64, Ryzen Master, CPUID
- it will still just turn itself off while Prime95 is running, or while gaming.. I still want to check if it happens when I let it sit idling for some time

What I checked:
- Temps: OK. No overheating issues, no throttling, neither CPU nor GPU. M.2 SSD is fine as well, MB too
- Cables: Everything plugged in nice and tight
- Software: Uninstalled most of the bundled stuff, see above.
- Drivers: Installed the latest available from AMD and others
- RAM: Reseated the 4 DIMMs, didn't make any difference
- Voltage: Everything stock, see above. Tried bumping up RAM to 1.4, no difference
- Power Supply: I figured 650 W could be a little tight, but under full load (CPU: Prime95, GPU: FurMark), it pulls 450 - 500 W @wall, so that should do...

My guesses (into the dark): Some board component is getting too hot. Faulty Board. Faulty RAM. Faulty CPU.
Any suggestions?
24 REPLIES 24

schweigert wrote:
im on my THIRD new CH7 board - this time I went with non wifi - and still experienced it.

Asus engineering still hasn't called me back - and when I talked to three different techs over the phone last weekend, they said they've never heard of this problem.... so im glad im not the only one.

What BIOS version are you running?

michaelemcken wrote:
What BIOS version are you running?

the latest - 0601

it happened on my first going from 0401 to 0501

on my second board from 0201 to 0601

and now on this board, from 0401 to 0601 (non wifi board)

schweigert wrote:
the latest - 0601

it happened on my first going from 0401 to 0501

on my second board from 0201 to 0601

and now on this board, from 0401 to 0601 (non wifi board)

I just finished my CH7 2700x build, with the latest 0601 bios. Initially things were great, and for some reason I had an odd shut down. Booted back up and my wifi/bluetooth was totally broken - system would recognize the device but claimed it wasn't working properly. No wifi networks found. Grabbed a USB wifi dongle, and that worked fine.

Followed your advice. Powered down, clear CMOS, killed power to PSU. Gave it 30 min and booted back. Wifi back to normal and being recognized. So far it's been 4 days and no issues. Ram running at 3200 14-14-14-34. Haven't done much more or OC'd - just left it at stock for the time being.

I typically don't run wifi on my desktops, mainly got the board because my current setup doesn't allow me to easily run a Cat6e cable. If it continues to act up, I may just end up hardwiring, but that still won't solve the Bluetooth part if it does - since I do use that to connect to my Edifier's in the room.

schweigert wrote:
im on my THIRD new CH7 board - this time I went with non wifi - and still experienced it.

Asus engineering still hasn't called me back - and when I talked to three different techs over the phone last weekend, they said they've never heard of this problem.... so im glad im not the only one.

I just got off chat with ASUS. do you recommend returning the board or do you think it's a BIOS/Windows based issue? I'm suffering the same issue where all intel and wifi drivers/things disappear on a reboot but are there on a shutdown and start. No idea what is causing it.

schweigert wrote:
Ive been having major network adaptor issues - where they will completely disappear (even in bios) if its a reboot. if im loading up from the computer shut down they work fine. a lot of gremlins in this board it seems.

When I got my board it was 0401 out of the box and the network was working, when I upgraded to 601 or even the latest one ASUS have on their page for that board 702 the network is either present or not...

Restart = not WIFI or Ethernet

Shut Down and Start = WIFI and Ethernet present

Additionally I noticed that the BIOS 702 (which I tried several different ways of installing after I spoke with their support) is super slow, sometimes it takes ~5-10 seconds to move from one bios menu to another. I think ASUS should fix this. Since then I went back to BIOS Version 401 , at least that one does not stops WIFI and Ethernet after restart.

ASUS Please FIX THIS!