cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - Can't update bios to 3103

skrybe
Level 9
As the title says I can't update the bios on my Crosshair VII Hero WIFI. I'm trying to go from 2203 to 3103 using the EZ Update part of AI Suite and it comes up with "The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present".

As far as I can see I've downloaded the right BIOS. I got it from here: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Is there a problem with the BIOS? Do I need to update to the other BIOSes in between 2203 and 3103? I hope not since there are eight of them 😞
9 REPLIES 9

liakou
Level 7
Do not use bloatwares to perform BIOS updates. Use the BIOS flashback method to update your board.

skrybe
Level 9
How about, Asus fixing the tool they supply so their users can actually use it.

Because the instant reaction when I use it is that there is something wrong with the bios file and I'm reluctant to install it another way in case it renders the board unusable.

Maybe you have CH8 without Wi-Fi ?
They are sister boards that have stepped with the same BIOS numbers forever.

Another possible cause using WinZip or Windows 10 default, instead of WinRAR to unpack the file.
https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Something ?strange? about this
Version 3103 2020/06/23
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS

01. Improve system performance.
02. Update AMD AM4 ---> AGESA Combo PI V1 1.0.0.6 <---

above is what you dropped on the USA site
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Then you have AU site with this one
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 2206 2020/08/17
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 2206
-Update AMD AM4 ---> AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.0 <---
-Improve system performance.
-Improve system stability
-Improve M.2 storage compatibility
-Improve DRAM stability

So now we have earlier BIOS with latter AGESA version- that is ?strange?

I'd take AGESA V2 PI 1.0.8.0 version over earlier one any day.

skrybe
Level 9
Its definitely the WIFI version. I've updated it several times in the past with no problems.

I use 7-zip to unzip the BIOS but I'll give Winrar a go just to be sure. Edit: Just used Winrar to extract the files and got the same error when trying to apply the bios.

That's a Crosshair VIII (ie: Crosshair Eight) bios you're talking about not a VII (seven).

skrybe wrote:
Its definitely the WIFI version. I've updated it several times in the past with no problems.

I use 7-zip to unzip the BIOS but I'll give Winrar a go just to be sure. Edit: Just used Winrar to extract the files and got the same error when trying to apply the bios.

That's a Crosshair VIII (ie: Crosshair Eight) bios you're talking about not a VII (seven).

You HAVE to use USB Flashback for newer bioses.
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal

skrybe
Level 9
Ok, in that case why doesn't Asus actually put that in the notes for the download. So frustrating 😞

skrybe wrote:
Ok, in that case why doesn't Asus actually put that in the notes for the download. So frustrating 😞

Sorry I really stuffed that up.... I thought was CH8 not a CH7.

RedSector73 wrote:
Sorry I really stuffed that up.... I thought was CH8 not a CH7.

No problem. It took me awhile to realise that as well. I was looking for a 2206 bios for a good 5 minutes.

Anyway, I updated the BIOS manually and it worked fine. Just really disappointed that the official tool doesn't work, and the official site makes no mention of how we're supposed to do it. I'd hate to think what the average user would go through to get it done. Though maybe the average user doesn't use a CH7 Hero.

On another note, and as someone else mentioned - bloatware. After rebooting into Windows after the BIOS update I had a popup trying to install Asus Grid. No "would you like to install Y/N", just "installing GRID". Not impressed with that.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The nature of updating firmware really lends itself to integral tools like EZ Flash and USB Flashback. There's no need to use AI Suite for this function, nor would I recommend it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090