cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Vii Hero Wifi, 2700x & Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000mhz 32gb shutdowns

amir_rao_46
Level 7
Hi guys,

First every thread I have started, sorry if this is in the wrong area in the forums.

I recently built a PC (2 weeks ago) and have been having issues with it ever since.

My PC if left idle will randomly turn off, sleep and hibernation and all other settings are set to never.

I have also disabled iCUE and Ai Suite to not start when Windows is started.

I had set the RAM through D.O.C.P to run at 3000mhz, everything else was set to auto. Whilst browsing through the internet after about an hour or so, I saw the AIO cooler (Asus ROG Ryuijen 360mm) to ramp up a bit and I had set the screen to show me the CPU temp, I saw that the temperature has increased to about 67-69 degrees celcius, and it remained there for about a minute, then the power cut off straight away.

Thinking it may be because of the RAM set to 3000mhz I then set the RAM to default which is running at 2133mhz, last night the PC ran at idle all night (without anything opened), I thought the problem was solved. Before I left for work I thought I might as well leave a few internet tabs open to see if that causes the issue; however, I called back to ask if the PC was still on and it has turned off! 😞 ...

I am honestly lost for words and out of ideas (lack of experience) to figure out what is causing this issue, losing a lot of faith in this build....

I thought it would have been the bios so I went back to bios 1002, I have tried 1103 and had the same issue.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x
Crosshair Vii Hero Wifi
ASUS ROG Ryujin Performance 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x 8GB) 3000MHz
Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold, 850 Watts, Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Unit
Samsung MZ-76E500B/EU 500 GB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive (OS installed on this)
Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive (OS previously installed, but fan xpert 4 kept crashing before)

Any help would be appreciated a lot. I did buy this RAM after seeing it was Ryzen compatible on Corsairs website... maybe it is not 😞

Regards,
18 REPLIES 18

xeromist
Even if the memory won't reach advertised speeds it should not be an issue at 2133. I'm running an Intel RAM kit on x470 and while it won't reach the highest speeds I was able to find a stable sweet spot.

If you suspect your memory is unstable you should run memtest. There is the old memtest86+ but I have been using HCI Memtest which is newer and easier to use. It's free but you'll have to open a bunch of instances to fill up 32GB since each instance is limited.

If your CPU is hitting 69 at idle that is a bit of a concern. You may want to remove the cooler, check for issues, and remount it with fresh paste.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Even if the memory won't reach advertised speeds it should not be an issue at 2133. I'm running an Intel RAM kit on x470 and while it won't reach the highest speeds I was able to find a stable sweet spot.

If you suspect your memory is unstable you should run memtest. There is the old memtest86+ but I have been using HCI Memtest which is newer and easier to use. It's free but you'll have to open a bunch of instances to fill up 32GB since each instance is limited.

If your CPU is hitting 69 at idle that is a bit of a concern. You may want to remove the cooler, check for issues, and remount it with fresh paste.

Thank you for the reply!

Ok I will run either of those tests you have told me, will keep in mind about the instances due to 32GB.

At the moment as I am typing this, the PC is hovering at about 40 - 52 degrees celcius, which seems normal, but will try and see if I can add new paste on to the AIO.

Will try the RAM tests first.

Thanks again.

I tried doing the memtest, it was running fine... left the PC running the memtest for a while, came back and the PC was off.

Such a pain, going to just send the motherboard, CPU, RAM and cooler back to CCL computers and let them deal with it, given up fighting this PC for 2 weeks.

Unless someone has had a very similar experience and knows a fix to this.

regards,

As a last effort I left the computer running memtest over night and luckily, the PC did not turn off.

An error was detected in the ram!

I have attached an image to this post, I hope, not too sure how to use the ROG forum attachment tool properly.

xeromist
Of course any errors are bad but only one error overnight seems a bit infrequent for your shutting down issue. If you want to keep testing you might drop down to a single memory stick. That makes things simpler for the memory controller.

This could also be a power issue. A PSU problem or bad circuit in your home could cause sudden power cuts. Did you use this PSU in another build with no issues?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

That is true too, it does seem too infrequent.

I never thought of that actually, that the circuit at home could be bad. No I have not used this PSU in another build before, although I did get a replacement PSU (same model) to see if that was an issue, but power cuts still happened.

I will plug the PC in to another socket.

I may take a gamble and buy other RAM that may be more compatible when this batch of RAM goes back for it to be tested by CCL. At least that way I may be able to see if the RAM is actually the issue.

Thank you for the reply

Any updates to this? I am planning to buy the same board. Were you able to fix the issue?

zebyte wrote:
Any updates to this? I am planning to buy the same board. Were you able to fix the issue?

Hi sorry for the delay in replying, I wanted to be sure that the board is now fine.

The board now is fine, thank god. I recommend using a power surge protector extension lead to plug in to.

For the BIOS I have opted for 1002, this has let me adjust the colour of my RAM through Corsair iCUE, on the other BIOS this does not work as the RAM is not detected for some reason in the corsair iCUE software, but as soon as you switch back to BIOS 1002 the RAM is detected in iCUE.

Also disable Ai Suite 3 on start up and iCUE (once you have selected the colours you want, or if you go with corsair RAM) on start up too.

I also found that m.2 drive with OS installed was not working for me, so I installed on to SSD and then still have m.2 still installed on the motherboard and use it for storage of games and pictures etc.

I wonder if installing the OS now as I have connected to the surge protector will work, but I do not want to risk it anymore and leave the PC be as is.

Hope this helps.

When you had the power loss, did you have to disconnect the power cord from the Powersupply to return functionality of the PC? Or were you able to just reboot? My system also looses power sometimes when returning to idle after a heavy load (no issues while under heavy load). I have it connected to a new surge protector so I'm trying to trouble shoot.