cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero / Ryzen 7, Ram Dual channel problems.

Skunky
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I'm the new proud owner of a Hero VII Board + Ryzen 2700x.

Sadly i've run into some problems with my RAM. I've now tried everything from windows fresh install to bios update and what not.

I've tested the RAM, and in single channel mode (RAM placed in b2 + b1) the RAM boot fine, i can tweak the RAM and all RAM are seen as available in both bios and windows.

However. If i place RAM in B2 and A2 (dual channel mode), the bios does register both RAM blocks, but only shows 8gb (out of 16gb) as available. Same story with windows, it registers the RAM, but only shows 8gb as available.

If i tweak ANY setting that is RAM related, in dual channel mode, the computer straight out refuses to boot, and gives me a memory initialization error.
I can't even give the RAM more power without this error occurring.

I'm at a loss here, after doing some research i figured it might be the RAM acting up, since the ram where Hynix chips when i first encountered this, i then went out and got some "Ryzen compatible" RAM with Samsung b-die's on them, but the problem persist and it has not changed in any way.

My rams are currently: G.Skill Flare X "Designed for AMD Ryzen platforms" - F4-3200C14D-16GFX. 2x 8gb set.
6 REPLIES 6

syldon
Level 9
Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out. There are some other settings to change the termination voltages and also bias, but I would try this first. I take it you have checked for a damaged dimm and any contamination?

syldon wrote:
Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out. There are some other settings to change the termination voltages and also bias, but I would try this first. I take it you have checked for a damaged dimm and any contamination?

i've tried with 2 different brand new sets, and if i touch any setting while trying to boot in dual channel it wont load at all.

The first set of ram i had i've oc'ed in single channel no probs, but they wouldn't even run stated speeds and timings in dual channel.

syldon wrote:
Have you tried increasing the voltages for the Dimms? Mine boots with a lower voltage at 1.32v. It is enough to create errors. I have to boot at 1.37v-1.38v. This gives a meter reading of 1.35v. The board is slightly out.

I am sorry you are quoting me but not really answering the advice.

syldon wrote:
I am sorry you are quoting me but not really answering the advice.

Not trying to be a dick here

Skunky wrote:

If i tweak ANY setting that is RAM related, in dual channel mode, the computer straight out refuses to boot, and gives me a memory initialization error.
I can't even give the RAM more power without this error occurring.

I've tried all the way close to 1.5v, tried to give them more boot vram and what not.

Skunky wrote:
Not trying to be a dick here

I've tried all the way close to 1.5v, tried to give them more boot vram and what not.

It looks a bit like you have a dodgy slot. This could also be down to a poor bios revision.

Use a clean flashing method.
That means remove all components from the board. Only connect power cables before starting the flashback process. That is with no CPU, memory or GPU.
Remove the power cable from the PSU.
Reset bios to default by removing the Cmos battery for five minutes with the power cable out.
Flashback one time, and then reset bios to defaults by removing the battery again.
Flashback a second time.

Check the contacts of the memory and CPU before you reinstall them. If you are still getting the same issues, then contact Asus support for an RMA.

syldon wrote:
It looks a bit like you have a dodgy slot. This could also be down to a poor bios revision.

Use a clean flashing method.
That means remove all components from the board. Only connect power cables before starting the flashback process. That is with no CPU, memory or GPU.
Remove the power cable from the PSU.
Reset bios to default by removing the Cmos battery for five minutes with the power cable out.
Flashback one time, and then reset bios to defaults by removing the battery again.
Flashback a second time.

Check the contacts of the memory and CPU before you reinstall them. If you are still getting the same issues, then contact Asus support for an RMA.

I would also recommend testing if there is an issue with the motherboard or the ram.

1. Test the motherboard; put different ram sticks in the motherboard to see if it boots properly. If it the motherboard boots properly then it is a ram issue then RMA the ram.
2. Test the ram; Place the ram in a different motherboard to see if the other known system boots up properly with the ram. If the ram boots up properly then it should be the a motherboard issue.

3. I would check my processor for bent pins just a good to do check.