Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero Essential Info Thread

gupsterg
Level 13
Last update: 17/11/18

Last 3 updates to OP:-

i) Added section Is the lack of ASUS T-Topology an issue on C7H?

ii) Added section To use manual OC or Precision Boost Override? (see post 3)

iii) ASUS PE section has new link to post by The Stilt on his tweak in PE3/4.

ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Essential Info Thread

Image by Elmor

Ryzen: Strictly technical - Chapter: Pinnacle Ridge By The Stilt

ZEN+ Delidded - Before/After Temperatures - [Ryzen 5, 7, 2600, 2700X] by Der8auer

ASUS CROSSHAIR VII HERO - Everything You Need To Know! X470 In Depth Review by Der8auer

Elmor's C7H UEFI folder link

PSA regarding C7H:-

Early batch of motherboards will exhibit an issue where [Auto] or manually set 1.05V for 1.05V SB voltage is shown as ~+50mV in UEFI readback box, SW monitoring in OS and on ProbeIt points. See the post by Elmor on OCN regarding this, link.

Do not use HWMonitor, it shows monitoring data which is not actually occurring, excessive CPU/RAM MHz, etc.

Preface

A C7H has been supplied to me by ASUS 😄 , courtesy of ASUS and Elmor :cool: . I do not work for ASUS or have any committent to them, I am just a "user" who has received a sample and doing what I would do if I had bought a C7H.

My plan is to expand OP to collate essential information for using this board. It will be gathered from web/user shares/own meddling. It will emulate some threads I did on OCN for Ryzen+C6H & TR+ZE; so do check back 🙂 .

Ryzen 2nd Gen "Pinnacle Ridge"

The C7H review by The Stilt

Original link, translated link.

• RAM Slots are daisy chain topology instead of ASUS T-Topology on C6H. Daisy chain favours 2 dimm slots/1DPC config.
  • VRM 10+2 phases, 10 for VCORE, 2 for SOC, the mosfets have integrated temperature sensors.
  • Six layer PCB.

Besides other information within review, I really liked the data on VRM information.

Is the lack of ASUS T-Topology an issue on C7H?

From my experience in some ways yes and no. I have found same CPU/RAM used on C6H you will have an easier ride with 4 dimms than C7H. I used Samsung B die single sided/ranked 8GB dimms.

A recent post by The Stilt highlighted how motherboard vendors can not tune firmware as they can on Intel platform (source link).

The worst memory related issue on this platform is that there is no way to tune the memory controller parameters. They are hard coded into the memory controller firmware (PMU) and cannot be changed by anyone but AMD. This prevents the manufacturers from optimizing the parameters specifically for their designs.

From what I have read in some detailed reviews is that AMD guidance on RAM tracing is daisy chain, so I would assume the firmware would be better tuned by AMD for that topology. Which favours the C7H as it uses daisy chain topology.

ASUS Performance Enhancer

Options within UEFI page Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > Precision Boost Override Configuration (Changed to XFR Enhancement in UEFI 1101). Precision Boost Override term is Precision Boost Overdrive. Some useful links to reference:-

• What each preset level of PE tweaks, link.
  • Some further information from The Stilt on PE levels, link.
  • Some further information from The Stilt on voltages seen when using PE, link.
  • This linked post is also interesting on what the tweak within PE3/4 does.

Even if you run 2700X with LN2 and disable all of the power / current limits, it will not boost higher than e.g. 4.35GHz for the best two cores of the CPU.

4.35GHz for the best two cores of the CPU (marked with a golden and silver star in Ryzen Master), 4.2GHz for the rest (1-2C load).
    4.075GHz for all cores, unless limited by PPT, TDC, EDC, thermal or reliability (FIT). Clock reductions starts at 85°C (95°C tCTL), unless configured to a lower value.

The power management must be reconfigured in order to allow higher frequencies, my "eXFR" ("Performance Enhancer" on ASUS boards) does just that.

ASUS Performance Enhancer/Precision Boost Override/Precision Boost Overdrive simply put allows a user of Ryzen to retain single core/thread boosting, but tweak nThread/Core boosting (ref above image).

You can also setup your own Performance Enhancer/Precision Boost Override Configuration (Changed to XFR Enhancement in UEFI 1101).

Note: Not available on Non X CPU.

PPT Limit - Package Power Tracking, watts limit CPU can use.

TDC Limit -Thermal Design Current, maximum current the VRM can supply to CPU, based on thermal aspect of VRM.

EDC Limit - Electrical Design Current, maximum peak current the VRM can supply to CPU, based on VRM components.

Precision Boost Overide Scalar - Increased scalar value relaxes voltage limiting rules of FIT monitoring.

These settings info is based on previous linked post plus quote below from The Stilt Ryzen: Strictly technical thread.

The "Precision Boost Override" feature available on 400-series motherboards allows increasing the physical limiters mentioned earlier. On SKUs belonging to the 105W TDP infrastructure group, the default limiters are following: PPT 141.75W, TDC 95A, EDC 140A and tJMax of 85°C (absolute, excl. offset).

When "Precision Boost Override" mode is enabled (AGESA default), PPT becomes essentially unrestricted (1000W), TDC is set to 114A and EDC to 168A. These limits can be customized by the ODM so that the new limits will comply with the electrical characteristics of the motherboard design in question.

Here is a link to a thread that people tinkering with PBO may find handy, link. Also below is images from Threadripper gen 2 launch slide deck with good info on PBO.

Which core is best?

As of HWINFO v5.83-3435 "Core Quality" is being shown, link to author's post. Perf #0 being best and highest # being worst. Latest Ryzen Master on Pinnacle Ridge only shows best core (denoted by gold star ) and second best (denoted by silver star).

BCLK Fluctuations?

Ryzen has no hardware to readback BCLK correctly. Now some owners of Ryzen/C7H may say I've never noted a fluctuation, there could be a few reasons to this.

• They have not captured it, as they did not have monitoring running at the time of event.

• Like HW, but differing samples can exhibit difference in fluctuation of BCLK readback. This is not limited to AMD CPUs without hardware to readback BCLK, but even Intel CPUs can exhibit this.

• They have correctly set up HWINFO for BCLK monitoring on CPUs without hardware for BCLK readback. When launching HWINFO pick settings, then untick option in below image highlighted in red.

So all in all what you set as BCLK in UEFI is what Ryzen/ASUS board will use and it is a steady frequency. This was confirmed in C6H thread at launch by Elmor who works in ASUS ROG MB R&D.

Which Prime95 to use?

The Stilt has advised v28.10 build 1 is best to use (link to app in this post), using custom setup of 128K 128K in place FFT will enable user to get correct CPU voltage setup. Then I use also custom setup of 8K 4096K with ~13GB RAM used out of 16GB (ie ~80% installed RAM); this will exercise the CPU/IMC/RAM.

How to test single or multiple cores?

Use HWINFO to identify core "Quality", perf #0 is best core and 7 is worst. Then ref below image on setting affinity and setup of P95. If using W10, in Task Manager click "Details" tab, find prime95.exe, right click and select "Set affinity" and you will see similar as screenie below.

Load Line Calibration!?

This cropped ups pretty much daily. The problem I think is there are far too many youtube video where you have x person setting y voltage on a board and then saying ahh look it drooped to z. What they over look saying is there is a load line specification. Even a video I saw around Ryzen launch where Robert Hallock from AMD is feature skimmed over the subject with the usual nonsense. At least at the time we had The Stilt and Raja@ASUS to guide us 😉 .

Any how here we go with the info:-

i) Der8auer has a great video on the subject, link.

ii) AM4 LL spec by AMD and info on dLDO by The Stilt.

iii) LLC on C6H, link 2 by The Stilt (still relevant for C7H).

iv) How to calculate VDROOP by The Stilt.

So I set a 4.0GHz PState 0 and VID of 1.281V, stock LLC (ie [Auto]). In UEFI, which creates load on CPU (you'll see even when CPU default it will PB/XFR in UEFI), I saw ~1.274V steady on DMM applied to ProbeIt point. UEFI readback box was bouncing, at and ever so slightly below VID set.

In OS whilst I had P95 loading CPU with custom 128K 128K in place FFT I saw ~1.208V on DMM applied to ProbeIt point.

Light load (ie UEFI) VDROOP was less, as when CPU come off load it is not gonna overshoot wildly. Heavy load led to more VDROOP, which again makes sense. As when using stock LLC it should be this way, so I get less of an overshoot when CPU come off load vs increased LLC.

Below is a simple graphic to show load line effect and calibration.

What about CPU voltage!?

Many I time since moving to Ryzen I will see discussions based on when CPU is stock that (x)V is observed in usage, so CPU must be able to sustain that when OC'ing!?

To see what the actual maximum voltage FIT allows the CPU to run at in various different scenarios is, I disabled all of the other limiters and safe guards. With every other limiter / safe guard disabled, the reliability (FIT) becomes the only restrain. The voltage command which the CPU sends to the VRM regulator via the SVI2 interface and the actual effective voltage were then recorded in various scenarios. In stock configuration the sustained maximum effective voltage during all-core stress allowed by FIT was =< 1.330V. Meanwhile, in single core workloads the sustained maximum was =< 1.425V. When the “FIT� parameters were adjusted by increasing the scalar value from the default 1x to the maximum allowed value of 10x, the maximum all-core voltage became 1.380V, while the maximum single core voltage increased to 1.480V. The recorded figures appear to fall very well in line with the seen and known behavior, frequency, power and thermal scaling wise.

The seen behaviour suggests that the full silicon reliability can be maintained up to around 1.330V in all-core workloads (i.e. high current) and up to 1.425V in single core workloads (i.e. low current). Use of higher voltages is definitely possible (as FIT will allow up to 1.380V / 1.480V when scalar is increased by 10x), but it more than likely results in reduced silicon lifetime / reliability. By how much? Only the good folks at AMD who have access to the simulation data will know for sure.

Quote source link

What should SOC voltage be set to!?

The C7H increases SOC when left on [Auto] based on "auto rule" not an "auto determination" of silicon characteristics. Increasing RAM past official speeds makes this occur. Best is to tune SOC as required. The Stilt experience quoted below.

There are clear differences in how the memory controller behaves on the different CPU specimens. The majority of the CPUs will do 3466MHz or higher at 1.050V SoC voltage, however the difference lies in how the different specimens react to the voltage. Some of the specimens seem scale with the increased SoC voltage, while the others simply refuse to scale at all or in some cases even illustrate negative scaling. All of the tested samples illustrated negative scaling (i.e. more errors or failures to train) when higher than 1.150V SoC was used. In all cases the maximum memory frequency was achieved at =< 1.100V SoC voltage.

I have found my R7 2700X (Batch: UA 1805SUS) scales this way for SOC:-

3200MHz set to 0.900V in UEFI (Tested using The Stilt Safe 3200MHz timings preset but TRC 44 & TRFC 256)
3333MHz set to 0.912V in UEFI (Tested using The Stilt Fast 3333MHz timings preset)
3400MHz set to 0.925V in UEFI (Tested using The Stilt Fast 3466MHz timings preset)
3466MHz set to 0.956V in UEFI (Tested using The Stilt Fast 3466MHz timings preset) Note: If CPU stock
3466MHz set to 0.968V in UEFI (Tested using The Stilt Fast 3466MHz timings preset) Note: CPU PState 0 OC 4.1GHz

All testing above so far on UEFI 0601, RAM used F4-3200C14D-16GTZ, CPU was stock. I found at UEFI defaults the SOC was ~0.800V, I just picked 0.900V for my starting point. Perhaps 3200MHz could be attained with less SOC on my CPU, I may test this at later stage.

Is RAM MHz king?

As with Summit Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge also at >3200MHz RAM timings play a bigger role than frequency. This article pits The Stilt's 3466MHz preset found in "DRAM Timings Control" of UEFI against upto 3600MHz C16.

What RAM to get?

Samsung B Die single rank/sided is the most favoured RAM IC for Ryzen, in useful links is a thread with helpful info when making a purchase. In regard to QVL I share The Stilt's opinion, link. I have used non QVL RAM with C6H, ZE and plan to do so with C7H. There are many user shares of having bought QVL listed RAM and not gaining higher speeds. Reference below image to know what is OC RAM speed on Ryzen.

Ryzen gen 1 officially supported max 2666MHz for single rank/sided in 1 dimm per channel configuration, gen 2 is 2933MHz. This increase may have been gained by tweaks to silicon and or AGESA, or perhaps eaten into OC headroom, I have no idea. In a nutshell I'd say keep expectations realistic, higher density RAM usage equals lower attainable MHz, generally speaking. Be prepared to put in some time and effort to gain higher speed RAM. Below is a table from Ryzen gen 1 reviewers guide, but with added gen 2 officially supported RAM MHz info.

Note: Only SR config has gained increased RAM MHz officially, this information was confirmed via another mobo maker and consulted The Stilt.

Testing RAM stability?

HCI Memtest and GSAT have been mainly what I have used. Little while back a new app has hit the scene, RAM Test by Karhu Software. This app was developed with the support of Ryzen owners on a Finnish forum. When I read The Stilt approved of this app that was all I needed to know to recommend it also. There is also a thread on OCN regarding this app, link.

Below listed sections moved to post 3:-

RAM Timings Info

How to use Flashback (ie updating motherboard UEFI)

How many ways does the board post!?

Some of what I do with OC'ing

Creating Window 7 ISO with drivers for usage on C7H

FAQ

Useful Links
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video
213 REPLIES 213

darkspr1te wrote:
I Was wondering if anyone had looked into what effect bios versions have on your overall system performance.
I ask as I got my board November 2018, odly enough with a 0207 version bios, combined with corsair h100i cooler and
ryzen 2700x cpu. The out of box CB15 results were 1764 and 1827 with o/c as provided by gupsterg in the first few posts
give or take a few mistakes or omissions.
As I got further along the bios timeline my results worsen quite a lot to the point where a
out of box result is around 1690-/+ and a mild overclock will yield upto 1710-/+.
Silicon lottery aside what sort of results do people get for their default goto bios version,
This kind of information seems to be hard to find and often buried in multiple posts of assumptions, misinformation and
re-posts are just the start.
I have also noticed al lost of posts where users say " oh i just got cpu at 1.4 and neg of 0.05 and pe of 2, i get 1950 on CB15",
iám a smart fellow but i've not read up on overclocking terminology of late, I do understand it when i can get a explanation
of the settings effect/proper name,it's another case of too many TLA's.
It would be nice to have bios version, a export of the settings in both cmo format and text
(asus profile, load/save then press F2 for the direct loadable BIOS setting profile and CTRL+F2 for a text file while can help you transfer you settings to the next revision)
, this would give some users a place to at least start , AMD seems to have more menu per mile than i've ever seem intel side
even in hacked bios systems

In Order to help I have downloaded every bios version available for this board and i am flashing via a EEPROM programmer,
this is the only way i can assure myself there is no left over bios residue.
I will also video the Q-Code/video and board for first time boot, this may help users decide if they are having training issues
or it's just this bios is slow (1002 is much faster as base boot than 0507). Some bios do different things at boot too, some will
reboot at the point of loading eufi files, other skip that step but will display "flashing bios" just after a fresh flash via
bios ez-flash. Some bios have quirks, example is V1002 will allow me to apply a 3600Mhz DOCP PE2 profile from first boot but
other bios versions require me to have booted a clean O/c free bios into windows at least once before i apply a O/C of any type.
(Q-Code F9/power off is a sign of this)

Another thing i'am looking at is a simple app to import a text bios export and display only the changes needed from default
aka "optimized defaults" or cmos reset, i would love some info on the bios's cmo file just to read basic info like which version
bios created it but alas info on that file is thin on the ground and i also think different bios versions will almost have
different file format.

any feedback is most welcome, if any export feels it wont yield any worthwhile information the it would be a dead project from the start

Reference Info

darkspr1te

Hey Darksprite,

How is your testing coming along? I have attached a few screenshots of my cinebench runs. one score is really low I can't remember what setting I changed in BIOS to cause that but I fixed it now. I am getting a consistant score in the 1800s now (see pics with the Result BIOS is 0804 currently as I find it the most stable with my hardware. Had issues with anything newer (I still haven't tried the 2xxx BIOS as I am unsure if I really need to). I will have to double check the BIOS settings used for these scores. only thing I know for sure is a manual PBO of X4. Any results you have I would be interested in seeing. Cheers

Tunza Down Unda

Tunza wrote:
Hey Darksprite,

How is your testing coming along? I have attached a few screenshots of my cinebench runs. one score is really low I can't remember what setting I changed in BIOS to cause that but I fixed it now. I am getting a consistant score in the 1800s now (see pics with the Result BIOS is 0804 currently as I find it the most stable with my hardware. Had issues with anything newer (I still haven't tried the 2xxx BIOS as I am unsure if I really need to). I will have to double check the BIOS settings used for these scores. only thing I know for sure is a manual PBO of X4. Any results you have I would be interested in seeing. Cheers

Tunza Down Unda

Right now testing of the various BIOS effect and stability in on hold while i just finish up the ROG_EYE device. the different bios do in fact respond differently to the device so for now I am using the latest (with it's annoying cursor on boot)
My results for my system do vary a lot as testing is only for heating up cpu or to follow changes to the board VCC values.
config is OC3 in bios on version 2203, no other tweaks as i need pure stability. If i test on fresh boot then results are normally in the 1850-1860's and temps never exceed 70"Celsius

I will return to the bios hacking later as I have learned a lot since then during project ROG_EYE

darkspr1te

darkspr1te wrote:
Right now testing of the various BIOS effect and stability in on hold while i just finish up the ROG_EYE device. the different bios do in fact respond differently to the device so for now I am using the latest (with it's annoying cursor on boot)
My results for my system do vary a lot as testing is only for heating up cpu or to follow changes to the board VCC values.
config is OC3 in bios on version 2203, no other tweaks as i need pure stability. If i test on fresh boot then results are normally in the 1850-1860's and temps never exceed 70"Celsius

I will return to the bios hacking later as I have learned a lot since then during project ROG_EYE

darkspr1te

What type of RAM do you use? The main reason I am worried about changing my BIOS again is that USB initialization seemed to fail. I still also have problems with my corsair hardware which is really annoying as I cannot use it to it's full potential. If you are interested, I can upload a txt file of the settings i use in 0804? I do not touch OC level but rather keep that at AMD stock and use PBO to overclock. I also have to set RAM timings manually if I want to run at 3200mhz C14-14-14-32 as the xmp profile fails. Thanks for your update. seems mid 1800s is a pretty good cinebench score for these chips.

Tunza wrote:
What type of RAM do you use? The main reason I am worried about changing my BIOS again is that USB initialization seemed to fail. I still also have problems with my corsair hardware which is really annoying as I cannot use it to it's full potential. If you are interested, I can upload a txt file of the settings i use in 0804? I do not touch OC level but rather keep that at AMD stock and use PBO to overclock. I also have to set RAM timings manually if I want to run at 3200mhz C14-14-14-32 as the xmp profile fails. Thanks for your update. seems mid 1800s is a pretty good cinebench score for these chips.

Hi ,
I dont know what wrong with this forum software but over the past few days I've written 4 replies (this 5th) to your message and non will post and I end up loosing the post, one moment am logged in, next am failing image verification, then am logged in but post is lost, very very bad forum software.
This time notepad++ until it will post.
poor forum software aside for the mem clock am running stilts 1.4v profile modded to 1.35 and running at 3444mhz ,it does 3666 at 1.4v but crashes in BF-V , only that game and none of my other titles but then again bfv is a buggy game.
Hardware it's Corsair Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz C18 XMP 2.0 , well thats the amazon description.

You mentioned USB issues, I think thats been fixed but there is nothing stopping you saving your current bios settings , flashing newest or what ever and then test that,
The annoying part is having to re-enter all those tweaks, then theres the removal or word changing of some of the values that you end up having to hunt for.

gupsterg
Level 13
Each UEFI contains CPU microcode, SMU & IMC firmware and embedded controller firmware (ie Super IO chip, RGB control chip, Keybot, etc).

When a new UEFI is flashed, system POST and you see the usual enter UEFI settings menu message, after entering/changing settings/saving or not saving and exiting for that very first time you will experience a re-POST on next POST of system. I believe at that time CPU firmware is checked/applied as needed.

When a new UEFI is flashed and on POST you see the message do not turn off PC blah blah blah, at that time Super IO firmware will be updating. When it is the RGB firmware it does have that within in text, IIRC stated LED Firmware.

You can see on the mobo page details of firmware related to mobo, link.

You can see CPU microcode changes within the CPU menu on Advanced page, link.

Some OS software (like HWINFO) can also show AGESA/CPU/SMU firmware info, link 1, link 2.

I have used 3 differing 2700X, using the CPO_Test that The Stilt shared with C7H thread on OCN I gained some insight into best/worse core VCORE usage, link. The clock is set as such on system as the test expires after x date.

The CPUs with tight variance (ie 1805 SUS & 1835 PGS) need higher VID/VCORE for manual OC than loose variance (1825 SUS). Under stock operation 1805 SUS had lowest average all cores boost, 1835 PGS was only about ~25MHz away from best, which was 1825 SUS.

So differing CPUs may exhibit differing MHz. Next I noted how CPU 1835 PGS reacted to Precision Boost Overdrive being enabled (PE: Default PBO: Enabled). It had a lower average all cores boost and voltage on AGESA 1.0.0.2C UEFI than AGESA 1.0.0.6. The latter had enhanced clocks with greater voltage. Only way AGESA 1.0.0.2C UEFI would match it was if I applied scalar adjustment to allow greater voltage. So some CPUs may react differently to AGESA 1.0.0.6 UEFI, others may not, as 1825 SUS behaves the same regardless.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

cah4e3
Level 7
CH7+Aura terminal+Claymore+Pugio+Fusion 700 - if you connect all @aura sync, LAGS ARE GONE!
10x - you finally fixed it 😃

Hi All,
For those that want to play with the ROG_EXT connector I have released a working proof of concept to connect to the ROG_EXT using any dev board, no you dont need the silly adapter from Elmor labs, thats snake oil . Any device that can read i2c will work.

See my github Darkspr1te's ROG EYE

Readme.md has the pinouts known so far, there's more too come that i've not made public yet, thats so users don''t blow up their cpu like i already did once.

We already know there's reset/power available via the connector but i've not implemented that yet due to isolation concerns, USB passthrough is not supported, thats just a HUB on the USB lines anyway and not the purpose of this project.

Switching OC profiles is also not implemented yet, again due to user damage concerns. However by the time the project reaches V1 it will be there.

If there is demand i might even throw together a PCB design so users can hide the lcd anywhere and display/control their boards.

This code also support Intel boards as of current patch.

Happy Overclock Watching

darkspr1te

gupsterg
Level 13
WIP 😉 ....

Da Music video

RussK14
Level 7
Did this thread die? I find myself coming back but nothing added. Hoping to find updates on newest bios 2008 for C7H...

I updated and was actually able to post with all four DIMM slots occupied @ 3600MHz but cannot boot to Windows. Any tips?

RussK14 wrote:
Did this thread die? I find myself coming back but nothing added. Hoping to find updates on newest bios 2008 for C7H...

I updated and was actually able to post with all four DIMM slots occupied @ 3600MHz but cannot boot to Windows. Any tips?

I would check the guides on memory speeds, I remember something about memory needing to be slower when you run 4 dims apposed to two , which was i think the ideal config for speed. but dont quote me on that , I know it influenced my choice of only two ram sticks (that and rgb load on the board )

darkspr1te

*EDIT*
there's a reddit thread on the subject,
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8gr2b2/4_dimms_of_ram_with_a_ryzen_2700/