cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Wifi, fan control / sensors are broken

weare
Level 7
Hello.
I'm using c6h wifi motherboard with 3700x CPU and currently experiencing a lot of problems with fan control / sensors on recent bios versions. I did expect some problems when i was building this system (bleeding edge bios, etc), but i never thought there will be so much issues with such a basic functionality as temperature control.

I have 1 CPU fan and 3 PWM case fans (Noctua A14/A12). #1 and #2 case fans should change RPM depending on CPU temperature, and #3 depends on PCH temperature. Basically it works fine for some time (usually 2-10 hours), but then the expected behavior breaks in many different ways:

1. This is the most common issue i'm experiencing right now. Usually fans should spin around 800-900 RPM when the system is in idle state. When this problem happens, RPM decreases to 400-500 and the more i load my CPU the less RPM i get until fans completely stop. And it happens to all CPU-related fans. This is so ridiculous i even made the video — https://streamable.com/i3379 where you can see the idle behavior (~400 rpm) and what happens when i load my CPU using 'stress' utility. I've tried different fan profiles (silent, standard, etc), different low speed, delays and nothing changed. I've checked and can confirm that fans are really stopping, so it's not just monitor tool issue. The fix is to reboot the system.

2. Motherboard temperature sensors just stop working and hang up on the last value it was, even though RPM sensors still work. Once more, it's not the monitoring tool related problem because fans aren't changing the speed if i load my CPU. For instance, if CPU temperature hangs up on ~50C temperature, fans will still have ~800 RPM even if i stress my CPU (usually in this case RPM should increase up to 1500). The fix is to reboot the system.

3. Fan is just completely ignoring the component's temperature. I had this issue on my fan #3, which wasn't changing idle RPM even though my PCH temperature was already around 80. The fix is to reboot the system.

4. Fan gets stuck at 100% RPM. This usually happens on my fan #3 when i cold boot my system. Rebooting the system didn't help me though, i had to clear CMOS (or make some changings in the bios) to fix this.

So basically my system is barely usable right now, i have to constantly monitor the sensors and regularly reboot my system when something breaks again. Otherwise this behavior can possible damage my CPU/motherboard due to overheat in high-load scenarios. As far as i can see, other people are experiencing pretty much similar fan-related problems i do, so it's not just defect motherboard i have.

I've been using ASUS motherboards for 17 years starting from P4PE and you can imagine how disappointed i am right now. In my opinion this kind of issues are critical and should be investigate ASAP. I hope my report can be useful, and this situation won't end with changing motherboard to another vendor.
45 REPLIES 45

mikev190 wrote:
Can anyone reupload the C6H non wifi ones please. The dropbox links don't work any more

Yeah same for me, the file exceeded dropbox's download limit.

Too many requests
Sorry, this link has been automatically turned off for now. Learn more about traffic limits.

mikev190 wrote:
Can anyone reupload the C6H non wifi ones please. The dropbox links don't work any more

randydvd wrote:

I am sorry guys I did not get to the Original 0002 C6H Link posted by Shamino in time, or I would reupload it for you guys to download. However, I do have one Better in my opinion. Below is the link to Gupsterg Mod of the 0002 UEFI for the C6H which is what I have flashed on my C6H (And have been running the C7H Version of for 2 Days now) and it works great! It fixes the Fan problem (At least it did for me) and it has the added bonus of having the AGESA 1002's Boost Algorithm. So If you want your C6H to boost like it did on AGESA 1002, but on a the Newer UEFI with the Shamino Fan Fix included, then this is the UEFI for you. I did not make this, I am just sharing the love, this his @Gupsterg's Google Drive Link.

When you download it, you will see the Mods for 7403 for the Wifi, Non Wifi, and C6H Extreme Boards, obviously ignore those, the one you want is the One named "CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0002+.CAP". Put that On Your Flash Drive, and rename it to C6H.Cap for your Non Wifi Board (I have not seen a C6H Wifi 0002 Mod from @Gupsterg yet, but when I do I will post links to that as well to make sure you see them) and then use BIOS Flashback to flash it. Then You will be as happy as I am, to have the Fan Problem fixed, AND have the best Boost Algorithm AMD has Implemented to date! ENJOY!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U4FOfY6WAfgwR28LSGHOoGicKzrvag0s

Link to Post where @Gupsterg originally Posted the C6H 0002 Mod: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101617-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Essential-Info-Thread/page12#pos...

MattTheTech
Level 7
mikev190 wrote:

randydvd wrote:

Hey Guys, I found a Link to the Non Modded 0002 C6H Uefi that another User named @bloot Graciously Posted.

I Have now Downloaded it and will re-upload to one of my Google Drive's and OneDrives if Necessary. But for now, here is a Dropbox link to that UEFI. I still strongly recommend @Gupsterg's Mod, as you get both the Fan Fix and a better Boost Algorithm, but if all you want is the fan fix, then here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07r6kxnqdzx5z13/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0002.CAP?dl=0

@Bloot's ROG Forum Post that I got the Link From: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101617-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Essential-Info-Thread/page12#pos...

Did anyone check 7403 bios version? Is it safe to use it or there's no fan fix in it?
There's nothing about fans in the patch notes, so i'm still on 0002.

weare wrote:
Did anyone check 7403 bios version? Is it safe to use it or there's no fan fix in it?
There's nothing about fans in the patch notes, so i'm still on 0002.

I think 0002 is the 7403 w/ fan fix.

andyliu wrote:
I think 0002 is the 7403 w/ fan fix.

That's quite possible, but 0002 i'm using was posted in this thread one day before 7403 had arrived, so it's still confusing.