cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Wifi, fan control / sensors are broken

weare
Level 7
Hello.
I'm using c6h wifi motherboard with 3700x CPU and currently experiencing a lot of problems with fan control / sensors on recent bios versions. I did expect some problems when i was building this system (bleeding edge bios, etc), but i never thought there will be so much issues with such a basic functionality as temperature control.

I have 1 CPU fan and 3 PWM case fans (Noctua A14/A12). #1 and #2 case fans should change RPM depending on CPU temperature, and #3 depends on PCH temperature. Basically it works fine for some time (usually 2-10 hours), but then the expected behavior breaks in many different ways:

1. This is the most common issue i'm experiencing right now. Usually fans should spin around 800-900 RPM when the system is in idle state. When this problem happens, RPM decreases to 400-500 and the more i load my CPU the less RPM i get until fans completely stop. And it happens to all CPU-related fans. This is so ridiculous i even made the video — https://streamable.com/i3379 where you can see the idle behavior (~400 rpm) and what happens when i load my CPU using 'stress' utility. I've tried different fan profiles (silent, standard, etc), different low speed, delays and nothing changed. I've checked and can confirm that fans are really stopping, so it's not just monitor tool issue. The fix is to reboot the system.

2. Motherboard temperature sensors just stop working and hang up on the last value it was, even though RPM sensors still work. Once more, it's not the monitoring tool related problem because fans aren't changing the speed if i load my CPU. For instance, if CPU temperature hangs up on ~50C temperature, fans will still have ~800 RPM even if i stress my CPU (usually in this case RPM should increase up to 1500). The fix is to reboot the system.

3. Fan is just completely ignoring the component's temperature. I had this issue on my fan #3, which wasn't changing idle RPM even though my PCH temperature was already around 80. The fix is to reboot the system.

4. Fan gets stuck at 100% RPM. This usually happens on my fan #3 when i cold boot my system. Rebooting the system didn't help me though, i had to clear CMOS (or make some changings in the bios) to fix this.

So basically my system is barely usable right now, i have to constantly monitor the sensors and regularly reboot my system when something breaks again. Otherwise this behavior can possible damage my CPU/motherboard due to overheat in high-load scenarios. As far as i can see, other people are experiencing pretty much similar fan-related problems i do, so it's not just defect motherboard i have.

I've been using ASUS motherboards for 17 years starting from P4PE and you can imagine how disappointed i am right now. In my opinion this kind of issues are critical and should be investigate ASAP. I hope my report can be useful, and this situation won't end with changing motherboard to another vendor.
45 REPLIES 45

xeizo wrote:
Thanks Shamino, will test, fans have been behaving strange. Is this ABB?

Seems so.

UEFI using ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB had old label style of Performance Bias.

UEFI using ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3ABB have new label style of Performance Bias.

I flashed UEFI 0002 for C7HWIFI and see new label style of Performance Bias.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Thrawn
Level 7
This problem also present on my Prime X470-Pro motherboard. Aida64 and HWInfo developers said, that it could be an issue with ASUS WMI implementation, so nothing they can do about it.

neotokyo
Level 7
I tried the 0002 bios on my C7H non-Wifi, the bios recognized the PWM fan hub of my H440 case as PWM when the fan mode is set to "Auto". Before the bios reconized it as "DC", in auto mode, and I had to force it to PWM. A Noctua 140mm fan is connected to the PWM extension/output of the hub.

Other than that, I had never noticed any issue before. I force set my fans to PWM instead of "Auto" in the bios, maybe that's why.

neotokyo wrote:
I had never noticed any issue before. I force set my fans to PWM instead of "Auto" in the bios, maybe that's why.

It wasn't helping in my case. At least not before this bios.

neotokyo wrote:
I tried the 0002 bios on my C7H non-Wifi, the bios recognized the PWM fan hub of my H440 case as PWM when the fan mode is set to "Auto". Before the bios reconized it as "DC", in auto mode, and I had to force it to PWM. A Noctua 140mm fan is connected to the PWM extension/output of the hub.

Other than that, I had never noticed any issue before. I force set my fans to PWM instead of "Auto" in the bios, maybe that's why.

weare wrote:
It wasn't helping in my case. At least not before this bios.

ASUS WMI has been broken, so changing settings like header mode really won't help. Plenty of people tried work around of settings prior to ASUS WMI coming out, it would seem at times someone found a fix, but sooner or later the Super IO chip would crap out again. Only real way that seemed to work, was to keep interaction of SW low with SIO, ie not run monitoring SW, but again some still had the issue.

Lets hope these UEFI resolve issues for those suffering badly, I can't say I was, but am testing UEFI so it hasn't broken it for my setup...

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg
Level 13
Resume from sleep sends fan header PWM loopy on stock CPU/RAM.

On stock CPU/OC RAM I see also FCLK/UCLK become not 1:1 with MEMCLK.

R5 3600
C7HWIFI UEFI 0002
F4-3200C14Q-32GVK

Fan headers in use:-

CHA_FAN2 4 in 1 cable provides PWM, molex powered, 3x Arctic Cooling P12 PWM
CHA_FAN3 Arctic Cooling F12 PWM
HAMP EK DDC 3.2 PWM pump molex powered

UEFI settings txt in ZIP below:-

Note: SOC/CLDO_VDDP/CLDO_VDDG set by AMD Overclocking Menu, 1056mV/925mV/969mV

HWINFO opened prior to sleep, grabbed screenie and closed HWINFO, after resume waited ~90 sec, opened HWINFO and EVT to grab screenie.

Da Music video

Ryo_z
Level 9
i am experience some strange issue with 0002 (C6H), the PC cannot restart or boot after shutdown, the POST will fail and give 3 beep code (F9, related to memory?).

steps to reproduce:
1. power on the PC (cold boot)
2. after load into windows, shutdown/restart
3. power on the pc again (warm boot)
4. POST fail, F9 3 beep code

My CPU is in stock settings and only memory is OC (pass 1000% HCI memtest and stable in all previous version of bios).

Ryo_z wrote:
i am experience some strange issue with 0002 (C6H), the PC cannot restart or boot after shutdown, the POST will fail and give 3 beep code (F9, related to memory?).

steps to reproduce:
1. power on the PC (cold boot)
2. after load into windows, shutdown/restart
3. power on the pc again (warm boot)
4. POST fail, F9 3 beep code

My CPU is in stock settings and only memory is OC (pass 1000% HCI memtest and stable in all previous version of bios).

yes f9 is dram related
just checking if it actually boots with the right dram voltage, set both dram vboot voltage (under digi vrm) and dram voltage to whatever is needed / used.

Shamino wrote:
yes f9 is dram related
just checking if it actually boots with the right dram voltage, set both dram vboot voltage (under digi vrm) and dram voltage to whatever is needed / used.

no, the issue is still occur even i manually set the correct dram and dram boot voltage.

fyi, this issue also present in bios 7403/7401, but not on version 7302.

Ryo_z wrote:
no, the issue is still occur even i manually set the correct dram and dram boot voltage.

fyi, this issue also present in bios 7403/7401, but not on version 7302.

Can I bet that 7302 is a pre ryzen 3000 bios ?