cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair vi extreme ram settings

janwick
Level 7
Hi Guys, can anyone show me a guide or teach me how to set my RAM speed as it was advertised?

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 2700X
Crosshair VI Extreme
Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) Kit

if someone knows how to, it will be greatly appreciated your help.

I tried to select the D.C.O.P in BIOS and after "saving and reset" it gives beeps then shutdow, power on, beeps, shutdown, poweron beep again, (3X) then will proceed with the boot and blank screen.

I tried to google some but i cannot find the right mobo guide.
3 REPLIES 3

mvmiller12
Level 9
Short answer: Very probably not gonna happen, especially if you are using 4 sticks. Forget about it. Use the Ryzen RAM Calculator (Google will help you here) and see what speeds and timings you can get stable.

Storytime:

I have both the Crosshair VI Hero and the Crosshair VI Extreme in systems at my house. In anticipation eventually buying a Ryzen R9 3900x CPU, I purchased the Crosshair VI Extreme at a really good price, and some Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (2x8 @3600 CL18) RAM. I was trickling down hardware to offload an older system and figured I'd treat myself to the newer mainboard - the VI Extreme had a good price of $180, and the Crosshair VII Hero was outrageously expensive everywhere at the time. I had no intention of getting any x570 boards - not with those crappy little fans on them.

The RAM arrived first, so I tested it in my existing Crosshair VI Hero with my 2700x CPU. To my surprise, DOCP worked perfectly fine and I was at 3600 18-22-22-22-42 MemTest86 stable right out of the box. When the Extreme arrived, I swapped my 2700x and new RAM over to it, and to my surprise, I could not get the system to post at DOCP speeds at all. No combination of memory timings or settings would get me to post at 3600 despite this same combo having worked on the Crosshair VI Hero. I settled for manually setting 3200 speeds on that RAM and that worked fine. However, at this point, I considered the RAM purchase a failure for this board. If the same CPU and RAM worked fine at the rated speed in a different board, then the board had to be the limiting factor, right? So I was fully resigned to have lower RAM speeds on my Ryzen 3900x when that eventually came in.

Except that the Ryzen 3900x worked perfectly fine with the RAM set to DOCP 3600 on this board. I have no idea why it would not with the 2700x when it clearly would run at those speeds on the Hero, but the 3900x got it working fine on the Extreme.

Now take that scenario above... and extrapolate it to account for ALL FOUR of your RAM slots being filled. Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx series CPUs are notorious for having to run at reduced speeds to get all 4 RAM slots working, sometimes all the way back to 2133. There is a pretty good chance that you are not going to get this to work anywhere near the DOCP rated speeds, at least not with your 2700x.

Ryo_z
Level 9
"beeps then shutdow, power on, beeps, shutdown, poweron beep again"

means the memory training is fail, is the dram voltage set correctly?

Ryo_z wrote:
"beeps then shutdow, power on, beeps, shutdown, poweron beep again"

means the memory training is fail, is the dram voltage set correctly?

yes, it was set all to auto, i will try to put things manually via ryzen calculator, see how it works, right now, i am running at 1463 16-17-17-35 speed, close enough to 3000.