cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) BIOS 2311...still terrible for 4-DIMM setups

Oblivionxt
Level 7
Well, I thought I was lucky, as my issues were less severe using BIOS 2xxx.

Running 4 x 8 Team Group Xtreem 4500 (at 3800 cl 14). Not on the QVL, but others have similar issues using 4 DIMMS of approved RAM.

Here's my progression of issues:

2103 - With this version I only had one issue going from two DIMMS to four. When rebooting, the POST hangs up with a 01 or 1F code and requires the reset button to be pressed.

2204/6 - The last issue persists, but with the first four or five flashes of these versions I lost communication with my case USB 3.0/3.2 headers, power only. I regained USB functionality inexplicably with a later flash...

New 2311 - With the latest BIOS, I now get to experience the random crashing that so many others running 4 DIMMS enjoyed on older versions. I'll try cranking the DRAM voltage to see if it has any effect...but this is getting old really fast.

How can ASUS make a BIOS that just can't run the advanced features we paid for on four sticks? Bleh.
22 REPLIES 22

Good morning,
as declared in the message object i'm having problems with the latest two bios relased from asus.
My motherboard the ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, with 32GB Corsair memories and a Ryzen 3800X CPU.
The only way to make my config with these two bios stable is to leave ram configuration at default.
The best feature of the latest bios is the pbo enanche function that brings the 3800x on par with Intel 9700K processor (single thread).
With other bios my sistem is rock solid with the following settings, please give it a look:

https://valid.x86.fr/4cwj7h

Any suggestions?

Thankyou very much

Also seeing random reboots/Event 41's with 4 DIMM on CH VIII running 2402. 3900X, config is 4x16 Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16's B Die. I have just recently upgraded from 2x16 to 4x16. Running 2 Dimms on 2204/2206 was rock solid. I don't really OC much as I do mostly content related work, but previously ( with the 2x16 dimms) was able to run a 5-way optimized OC of 13% without any issues using standard DCOP settngs. Now I can't OC at all with the 5 way tool with 4 dimms, it won't post afterwards. Additionally, before all this I ran 4x8 RipJaws 3200 CL14's and they were rock solid as well.

Now, with any of of the 2xxx bio's and NO overclocking, 4 DIMMs at 3600 produces random restarts. I've tried all sorts of setting changes from here and also the large CH VIII thread over on OC.net - but can't keep the system stable. Most of the suggestion resolves around manually setting memory speed/timing vs using dcop setting, upping the mem voltage (I've gone up to 1.37 so far) disabling PBO FMAX, and setting DF CStates to disabled (specially for Event 41 issue).

Another option some have resorted to is going all the way back down the 1302 BIOS, which may be the last stable 4 dimm bios "out of the box", so to speak - but when I try to downgrade to 1302 it fails saying not a valid file. I've re-downloaded it multiple time from ASUS but alwasy get that error. Or do I need to use the BIOS flashback option to go back that far?

Lastly, I've tried Ram calc settings, and even with Safe settings, it won't post. But standard memory testing ie memtest64 all sticks pass.

Would prefer to get newer bios working, as plan is to move to 5900 or 5950x as soon as I can get my hands on one, and would prefer to keep the 64GB for content work. Worst case, I suppose I could change to 2x32GB, but to be honest, I really shouldn't have too do this. Plus I don't see any 2x32 on the QVL.

I'm going to do some more testing, I see Shamino dropped a new bios revision that may help with DRAM issues... Hopefully can get this figured out without backing to very old bios or changing the 2x32.

Edit - also new guy here, working on profile 🙂

Hi there.
I'm not really new on this board, but I just got through a mandatory "account update" from Asus. I was active on the old forum about 15 years ago.
Having used Asus boards for as long as I remember, my first Asus board was an AMD K5 platform (yes I'm that old).

Ok that said, I'll join this thread with the 4-dimm troubles.
Last year I bought the ROG Crosshair Hero VIII and a 3700X. Paired it with Gskill F4-3200C16Q-64GVK, 4 x 16GB modules, dual rank.
This is actually Samsung OEM "C-die", Taiphoon misidentifies them as B-die.
Granted, they were not on the Asus QVL as 4-dimm setup (they are as 2-dimm though) but Gskill listed the kit on their site as compatible with my board.

So I bought the kit and sure enough, any 2-dimm setup worked great (DOCP), but all 4 installed was hell on earth. They just won't run at the rated 3200Mhz.
Anything over 3000Mhz will not boot at all, at any voltage, even with relaxed timings. The board tries to start three times and finally enters fail-safe mode.
I spent months trying to tweak the setup, finally settled for 3000Mhz cas14 at 1.36v with decoupled Fclock maxed out at 1866.
I've contacted G-Skill several times about this issue and they confirm the 4-dimm setup was tested and working at rated speeds. They didn't specify the settings nor BIOS revision used.

Just a reminder that Ryzen Dram calculator is utterly useless for this memory. And no, the "Samsung OEM" profile does not correspond to Samsung C-die.

Although I'm stable with this setup, at 3000Mhz my mem scores are pretty low. I'd really like to have them running at 3200Mhz until I'm able to buy a decent 2x32GB kit.

Btw, BIOS version is 2311, haven't tested the betas yet.

Cheers.

OldTechie wrote:
Hi there.
I'm not really new on this board, but I just got through a mandatory "account update" from Asus. I was active on the old forum about 15 years ago.
Having used Asus boards for as long as I remember, my first Asus board was an AMD K5 platform (yes I'm that old).

Ok that said, I'll join this thread with the 4-dimm troubles.
Last year I bought the ROG Crosshair Hero VIII and a 3700X. Paired it with Gskill F4-3200C16Q-64GVK, 4 x 16GB modules, dual rank.
This is actually Samsung OEM "C-die", Taiphoon misidentifies them as B-die.
Granted, they were not on the Asus QVL as 4-dimm setup (they are as 2-dimm though) but Gskill listed the kit on their site as compatible with my board.

So I bought the kit and sure enough, any 2-dimm setup worked great (DOCP), but all 4 installed was hell on earth. They just won't run at the rated 3200Mhz.
Anything over 3000Mhz will not boot at all, at any voltage, even with relaxed timings. The board tries to start three times and finally enters fail-safe mode.
I spent months trying to tweak the setup, finally settled for 3000Mhz cas14 at 1.36v with decoupled Fclock maxed out at 1866.
I've contacted G-Skill several times about this issue and they confirm the 4-dimm setup was tested and working at rated speeds. They didn't specify the settings nor BIOS revision used.

Just a reminder that Ryzen Dram calculator is utterly useless for this memory. And no, the "Samsung OEM" profile does not correspond to Samsung C-die.

Although I'm stable with this setup, at 3000Mhz my mem scores are pretty low. I'd really like to have them running at 3200Mhz until I'm able to buy a decent 2x32GB kit.

Btw, BIOS version is 2311, haven't tested the betas yet.

Cheers.

Have you tried this?

Load BIOS defaults.
Set your FCLK and memory speeds to something reasonable.
Set PBO Fmax to DISABLED. You'll lose some performance but might be able to boot at higher memory speeds. I was able to boot at 3733 with 4 sticks of non-QVL B-Die.

Assuming it boots okay and you don't have errors, increase FCLK and memory speed in increments.

If this doesn't work, then you might consider more tweaking - voltages etc. I ended up removing 2 sticks, but I'll probably try 4 again with one of these new BIOSes. If I do I'll (eventually) post my results here.

Thank You for this suggestion WhoSaidThat

WhoSaidThat wrote:
Have you tried this?
Set PBO Fmax to DISABLED. You'll lose some performance but might be able to boot at higher memory speeds. I was able to boot at 3733 with 4 sticks of non-QVL B-Die.

I am running a 5950x with G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 ram
I have been having no end of issues getting the system running even close to stable and not rebooting randomly every few hours for no reason (blank error 41)
Setting PBO Fmax to disabled the system has now run with the ram at speeds above auto default without crashing for 3 days.

78Staff wrote:
Also seeing random reboots/Event 41's with 4 DIMM on CH VIII running 2402. 3900X, config is 4x16 Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16's B Die... snipped for brevity 🙂

Since posting this I've mostly been in the 2501 beta thread. After trying multiple bios' and various recommended settings, the fix for me was swapping back to my RipJaws 3200 CL14 kit. It's a 4x8 kit also, but running rock solid under 2206 and now 2502 release. Can't explain why, both are Samsung B Die, RipJaw 3200 C14 vs Neo 3600 C16. 3600's I could never get stable at 3600. 3200's are rock solid. :confused:

78Staff wrote:
Since posting this I've mostly been in the 2501 beta thread. After trying multiple bios' and various recommended settings, the fix for me was swapping back to my RipJaws 3200 CL14 kit. It's a 4x8 kit also, but running rock solid under 2206 and now 2502 release. Can't explain why, both are Samsung B Die, RipJaw 3200 C14 vs Neo 3600 C16. 3600's I could never get stable at 3600. 3200's are rock solid. :confused:

I've just posted an answer in the 2501 bios thread.
The issue is probably related to dual rank memory modules.
You can easily differentiate single rank vs dual rank using this formula:
Look up the memory chip width in bits and multiply this by the number of chips on the module.
If it equals 64, it's single rank. Likewise, if it equals 128, it's dual rank.

Cheers.

OldTechie wrote:
I've just posted an answer in the 2501 bios thread.
The issue is probably related to dual rank memory modules.
You can easily differentiate single rank vs dual rank using this formula:
Look up the memory chip width in bits and multiply this by the number of chips on the module.
If it equals 64, it's single rank. Likewise, if it equals 128, it's dual rank.

Cheers.

Makes sense - Thiaphoon reports my RipJaws as single rank - I don't know what the Neo Z's (F4-3600C16D-32GTZN) were but suspect they would have been dual rank. It's interesting that info is hard to find, it's not listed on Newegg or GSKill's site that I could find - which makes searching for/buying single rank a bit harder. I don't have my Thaiphoon report on them anymore I deleted it - figured I didn't need it anymore lol. But the GTZR version (essentially the same I think minus the "for Ryzen" branding is dual rank per the b-die page.

I'll look for some 2x32's as you mentioned in the other thread. Assuming Dual Rank will be fine with 2 dimms installed.

78Staff wrote:
Makes sense - Thiaphoon reports my RipJaws as single rank - I don't know what the Neo Z's (F4-3600C16D-32GTZN) were but suspect they would have been dual rank. It's interesting that info is hard to find, it's not listed on Newegg or GSKill's site that I could find - which makes searching for/buying single rank a bit harder. I don't have my Thaiphoon report on them anymore I deleted it - figured I didn't need it anymore lol. But the GTZR version (essentially the same I think minus the "for Ryzen" branding is dual rank per the b-die page.

I'll look for some 2x32's as you mentioned in the other thread. Assuming Dual Rank will be fine with 2 dimms installed.

Yes, in a two dimm setup dual rank generally has no issues.
If you look at the QVL from Asus you'll see that there is practically no entry for 4x16GB dual rank, from any manufacturer.
Taiphoon has a habit of misidentifying memory chips, I wouldn't trust it a 100%.

Cheers.

xeizo wrote:
I had some USB problems with the latest AGESA 1.1.0.0 bios for the B550-F, after testing lots of things I found out the new bios needs higher VDDG than what was needed before. Just raising VDDG with 30mV cured all problems and everything is rock stable again. 3800MHz mem 1:1:1.

Do you mean both VDDG CCD and VDDG IOD?
And how do you monitor those values?

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100