cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VIII BSOD - could it be boot NVMe?

William_D
Level 7
Hey chaps,

New build in final testing and have hit a critical_process_died BSOD when running userbenchmark.
The system is not writing a memory dump and on restart the BIOS is not seeing the boot drive (Corsair MP510). A shutdown and power on fixes this, and the PC will start normally.

I have setup Windows to write to an alternative disk / and or not automatically restart - but it refuses to write the dump file.

Obviously its looking like the boot drive is the culprit? although it's working 100% fine otherwise, i've tested with Corsair tools and in BIOS and ran 8 hours of AIDA64 with no issues at all. However, I'm just worried that this might causes additional issues down the road, hence the thread.

The only 2 possible causes I can think of are:

• I misread the MB manual and thought I needed to put the Firecuda into M.2_1 so it could run at PCIE 4 speeds, so the boot device is actually in M.2_2. Should boot drive always be in first M2 port? I could obviously switch them around - but the M2 design on this board isn't great and one of the sockets sits behind the GPU - so its annoying as I'll need to drain the loop to change them around.

• I installed the AMD chipset driver rather than the ASUS (AMD) chipset driver (i generally always install the MB manufacturer's drivers - but the AMD one was much newer - so i thought what the hell).

Could either of the above be the reason for this BSOD? Obviously if I could get a dump then I might get a clearer picture but not sure what else I can try to do that.

Or am I missing something here?

Any advice/answers appreciated...
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
For my setup, I use the M2 located near the cpu as the boot drive, without issue. This one is tied into the CPU, the lower one is tied into the chipset, both provide gen 4 x 4 speed.

Use the chipset drivers from AMD is wise and not an issue.

Make sure your running latest bios 1302
Make sure you have the ram placed in slots 2 & 4 from the cpu.

Where in the test does userbench bork ?

RedSector73 wrote:
For my setup, I use the M2 located near the cpu as the boot drive, without issue. This one is tied into the CPU, the lower one is tied into the chipset, both provide gen 4 x 4 speed.

Use the chipset drivers from AMD is wise and not an issue.

Make sure your running latest bios 1302
Make sure you have the ram placed in slots 2 & 4 from the cpu.

Where in the test does userbench bork ?

Hey Redsector,

Thanks for the response.

OK I'm gonna switch them around then as you have your boot in M.2_1 - just stupidly misread the manual. I may just be able to get access without draining loop. Stupid heatshields get in the way a bit.

Memory is in the correct slots and have BIOS 1302.

Was borking at near the end of the benchmark - but kept missing what it was actually testing LOL.

Will do the swap and re-run and report back.

cheers buddy....

Near the end and after the gpu test is the sustained drive tests.

They are batch test run for approx from 60 or 30 seconds of each drive, (ie nvme, hdd etc.)
The order is normally boot drive first then each drive as was listed in the start tests, then when it completes and goes to url / final report screen.

Maybe worth checking if your Nvme drive has updated firmware as well.

Hope this is of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Near the end and after the gpu test is the sustained drive tests.

They are batch test run for approx from 60 or 30 seconds of each drive, (ie nvme, hdd etc.)
The order is normally boot drive first then each drive as was listed in the start tests, then when it completes and goes to url / final report screen.

Maybe worth checking if your Nvme drive has updated firmware as well.

Hope this is of help.

Hey Redsector,

Swapping the drives around worked first time. Completed the benchmark, results great, CPU great and mobo a winner!

Thanks for your help mate....

catch you soon...

williamD

No problem, enjoy your new system.

Hi!
This is my case:
Nvme 1 Windows
Nvme 2 MacOS Catalina (hackintosh) With Opencore EFi

If i set Macos As first option in Boot .....doenot work.... pc start always in Windows! And the Bios config move windows as 1 option!
Is like dont accept boot from Nvme 2???
Any idea?
Nvme 2 is PCIe4 and Nvme1 is PCIe3