cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VII slow Bios post

OnepunchGus
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I'm posting this in hopes that Asus would see this, and if there is a work around please let me know. The issue I'm having is to do with a very slow post, specifically dealing with my graphic card. From the time I power on my PC it takes about 25-30 seconds to post my graphic card, and once that posts it'll resume normally to the Bios splash screen and then to Windows 10. Any info on reducing this graphic card post would be appreciated! So far I only tried enablling/disabling fast boot, and play with boot priorities.

BIOS 0601
Crosshair Hero VII (wifi)
Ryzen 2700x
M.2 Samsung 960 Evo (win 10)
16gb G skills @ 3200mhz
GTX 1060 3gb

Thanks,
-Gus
7 REPLIES 7

griffgroff
Level 7
I'm glad it is not just me - I though I was going mad! From a cold boot or reboot it takes around 15 seconds or so to see the logo seems to take around 4-5 seconds for the logo to disappear (the delay is set to 1 sec). It too seems to "hang" on graphics post. why the "Hit F2 or del" hangs around for as long as it does is a mystery to me.

Once done (from a cold boot) windows then boots in a couple of seconds. On any subsequent reboot, still the same time to see the boot logo come and go, but then windows takes 20 seconds to boot. Power off and back to the verrrry long post with a really rapid windows boot again, reboot and a long windows boot too.

I think I have tried every bios setting I can think of that might be relevant (Fast Boot, disabling CSM etc) - even re-flashing the bios. I am at a loss!

I am hoping a new bios update will help, or a magic setting somewhere...

This is my first AMD set-up in 14 years - not quite the outcome I was looking for.

BIOS 0601
Crosshair Hero VII (wifi)
Ryzen 2700x
M.2 Samsung 970 Evo (win 10)
32gb Corsair @ 2666mhz
MSI Armor 1080 GTX

griffgroff wrote:
This is my first AMD set-up in 14 years - not quite the outcome I was looking for.

Hey, thanks for your response. Interestingly enough we kinda have the same set up, but you have a more updated M.2 and graphic card. I too haven't touched an AMD platform for quite a while and wasn't expecting this. I honestly think this has to do with Asus' motherboard and the Bios. Because my Windows boots up fairly quick...But getting to the Windows loading screen is the biggest problem since it takes 25-30 seconds just to post the graphic card.

Out of curiosity, which PSU are you using? I'm using a Corsair RX850. Just trying to make sure this isn't a power distribution issue.

I am using a Seasonic Platinum 860W.

I might try some older bios versions over the next couple of days to see if it makes any difference (mine had 0601 from the get go) - I'd rather have a new bios that doesn't have the issue though 🙂

That said rebooting is not something I do too often if I can help it, but still...I just like to things to be just so.

OnepunchGus
Level 7
Ok, then I would definitely rule out power. As for Bios, my board was running the version before 0601 and it was still just as slow posting the graphic card. You may have more luck though.

I usually shut down my computer in case of thunderstorms or power surges (common in the midwest). I have a good power surge protector but I like taking an extra step in precaution. It's not a deal breaker since the system runs optimally, but when you drop $1k on just the mobo, cpu, ram, and M.2...You better believe I want this sucker booting up in a blink!

Sadly no change with the new 0702 either - previous bios versions also showed the same slow posting - what is the average post times others are seeing I wonder?

Hi all, I have the same issue with slow POST with latest BIOS 0804 😞
I recorded a video with Q-Code indicator and later viewed it by single frames. It seems the board resets itself several times before POST succeeds. I see code 63 (system reset) three times and every try takes about 6-7 seconds resulting in 20+ seconds for whole POST. Even without video it may be seen that yellow/red Q-LEDs blink many times before white one (VGA). I tried various BIOS settings, enable/disable XMP, etc, but still no luck.
What is your Q-Leds behavior just after power on? Is it single sequence yellow-red-white-green or not?

C7H/2700X/G.Skill Flare X 3200-C14

Same problem here. I am coming from an MSI X370 where the boot was very fast and I am kind of disappointed seeing this on the CH7.