cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero Vii + 2700x + 2x 1080ti trio sli - graphics performance woes

Fireblade1982
Level 7
Hi all, having trouble getting my sli to perform with this board.

If I leave settings stock the Firestrike score is about 32k, if I pick a memory preset from the bios stilts safe mode or something, can't recall exact name then it jumps up to about 42k.

What I'm trying to work out it is what setting is effecting the SLI so profoundly.
5 REPLIES 5

brkkab123
Level 7
Do you have a m.2 ssd?
If yes is it in the top m.2 slot that has the heatsink?
If yes to that one, you're only gonna get x8 speed on PCIe slot 1.
For adding second or third video card's I;m unsure of the speeds, but with 2 I don't think you'll get 8x speed in both cards. It will probably be video card 1 8x & video card 2 4x.
It could be 4x for each PCIe slot, if you're using a m.2 ssd in the top m.2 slot.
That's most likely your issue.
Put the m.2 ssd in the bottom m.2 slot.
Top m.2 slot runs off of the cpu,
Bottom m.2 slot from off the mobo, not the cpu;s PCIe lanes like the top does.

Hi mate, I read the manual before I started building it and shifted the SSD to the bottom slot on first build along with the heat sink before I started.

The reason I chose the board is from what I read is I could get 2x 8x pcie and then 1x 4x pcie in the bottom slot.

In any case I'm still wondering what about that profile makes them run better..

syldon
Level 9
The stock settings is not as finely tuned for performance as the stilt's. Since memory speed has a large impact on Ryzen performance, having a better memory profile is going to help puch up scores.

What about it specifically effects the graphics component though? some of those tests it scores low on aren't using the cpu at that stage, I understood that memory effects the CPU not the GPU.

I understand cpu can throttle cards, but that would only be true in tests that are using the CPU heavily.

Fireblade1982 wrote:
What about it specifically effects the graphics component though? some of those tests it scores low on aren't using the cpu at that stage, I understood that memory effects the CPU not the GPU.

I understand cpu can throttle cards, but that would only be true in tests that are using the CPU heavily.

Running on stock settings can be very unstable. So if your memory isn't running very well, then other stuff will be skewed. You can use the stilt's timing on a lower frequency to test it. You may need to adjust the Procodt settings to a lower value though to get it to run. Even though it is a GPU score, it will still need to address the system memory.

Tom's hardware review of fire strike states that it uses memory quite a bit.

The best-known 3DMark benchmark is Fire Strike, available for free. Its load and power consumption measurements, as well as the resulting temperatures, are all just above those of The Witcher 3. Memory temperatures, in particular, show a somewhat larger increase.