cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU over temperature error (5950X)

Sateidan
Level 7
Hi everyone, I com here to find help because the Asus support...guys...this support is really really bad...

My motherboard is a rog crosshair VIII hero (wifi) with a 5950x and I reach Peak AT 85-90 when playing very strong game in VR with the HP G2.

When I reboot my computer after this I have a CPU over temperature error and if I stop the computer I have to clear CMOS or nothing happens when the power on Button is pushed.

Did somebody have a clue. I will try to change my dark pro TF to an AIO watercooling but I don't think it's that.
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, overtemperature is based on TCASE temperature. If your CPU is reaching 90C you need to evaluate your cooling, try reseating the cooler and check the pump is operational
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, overtemperature is based on TCASE temperature. If your CPU is reaching 90C you need to evaluate your cooling, try reseating the cooler and check the pump is operational

Hi,

For the moment I reach this kind of temperature with a DARK PRO TF 220W dissipation potential (My AIO is not arrived yet).

When the computer does nothing I approximatively reach 50C-55C
In game (3090 FE) I reach 80-89C at full load with VR on HP REVERB G2

If I have well understanded, Precision Boost overdrive is OFF because it is on Auto in the BIOS.

My case is a dark base 900 orange v2 and it's very welled cooled so I don't think it can come from this.

Does some of you have same type of temperature with this kind of hardware ?

Legolas
Level 9
You might be missing thermal paste on the processor or no thermal connection from Dark Pro TF 220W to the CPU. Please insert therml paste from CPU to the Dark Pro TF.
Make sure to have proper torque on the Dark Pro TF so it will have good thermal conductivity from CPU to the HSF (Heatsink and fan). If it still having issue, set DARK PRO TF to maximum fan speed and see if it cools better. I also suggest running all chassis fans at max to have max airflow out of the case.
Did you run the processor at stock frequency with bootst on?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
You might be missing thermal paste on the processor or no thermal connection from Dark Pro TF 220W to the CPU. Please insert therml paste from CPU to the Dark Pro TF.
Make sure to have proper torque on the Dark Pro TF so it will have good thermal conductivity from CPU to the HSF (Heatsink and fan). If it still having issue, set DARK PRO TF to maximum fan speed and see if it cools better. I also suggest running all chassis fans at max to have max airflow out of the case.
Did you run the processor at stock frequency with bootst on?

Hi and thank you for your answer.

I use MX4 thermic from arctic thermal paste. I try to restart the thermal paste 2 times to be sure. All the FAN are set to manual at maximum speed.

All the parameters are ste to dfault in the BIOS.

After a call to be quiet support, it seems that the top flow CPU-FAN with the dark base 900 rev 2 is not good for the airflow. I will give a try today with my new pure loop 360 and post the news here !

Hope it will be ok !

I try with the case totally open and I have a 70C average full load in gaming.

I found a thread in reddit about the temp for this CPU but it's not easy to see the range users can have with theirs !

EDIT: new AIO (pure loop 360) temerature is down to 70 average in game. for now, seems to be better, I would check and post if needed.
In benchmark, temps are pretty like others users...looks like it was the aircooler/Aiflow

blown9350lx
Level 7
On the CPU box AMD recommends for the 5950x to be liquid cooled (They run hot) Fan not recommended. I see the AIO solved your problem, I have the same processor and 70 seems to be normal load temps with AIO. Mine at idle on asus 360 AIO is 38 and full load 65.
Custom Asus Rog Strix Helios case, AMD 5950X, Asus Strix AIO 360 using Grizzly Cryonaut paste, Asus Rog Crosshair X570 Formula, 32 Gigs GSkill Silver Royal 4000 ram, Samsung 980 pro 500 gig and 2tb, Asus Strix 3090 OC with Linkup vertical mount adaptor, Asus Thor 1200. Built by me