Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CoolerMaster ML120L V2 RGB not recognised (or lit) by ROG Strix X570-I Gaming

Buran
Level 7
UEFI Version: 4403

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 running at ~1310 MHz, 64 GBytes

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 2x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (total of 4TB)

PSU: Asus 650W PSU

USB Devices (model/version number): Asus Claymore II keyboard/Pugio mouse

Monitor: ROG SWIFT PG348Q

CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB

PC CASE: Thermaltake The Tower 100 Mini Chassis (CA-1R3-00S1WN-00)

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro (Activated: yes)

Drivers Installed (include version): All up to date drivers for installed hardware, as of post date (including Armoury Crate/Aura Sync)

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: ROG CPU-Z 1.95.0, used for monitoring only; no settings changes

System Overclocked (provide details)? no (Auto settings in UEFI BIOS)

Issue

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I Gaming

The cooler works fine physically - the fan spins and the CPU is staying within the temperatures it should. However, the cooler is not lighting up at all.

I'm not using the included RGB controller. I've connected the RGB cable to the RGB header on the motherboard (not the ARGB header, which is functioning fine to control case fans, two of which are connected via an ARGB splitter cable).

I've made sure that the 12V pin is connected correctly (that the RGB connector is oriented properly). I've installed all available updates to Armoury Crate and Aura Creator. (The RAM didn't initially work with Aura Creator, but does now via an update).

I've installed the latest BIOS for the board (version 4403).

The only PC components that Aura Creator can see are "addressable LED strip, gen1" (which I think is the RGB header, though it's not doing anything - that's my problem!), the motherboard, the GPU, and both installed RAM modules. The cooler is the only thing that isn't working. I don't have any RGB strips installed.

The ML120L V2 RGB is listed as being Aura Sync compatible, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi Buran,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

At the top left of Armoury Crate click Device, then click your motherboard ROG Strix X570-I Gaming, then click RGB Headers, then click calibration.

click the picture to make it bigger.

Buran
Level 7
I'd tried that previously, but did so again just in case it'd help. Before doing so I installed the new 8/29 updates for all components.

Unfortunately, I still have no cooler lighting.

I have noticed, however, that if I try to apply Static color to the strips, it also removes the effects from the ARGB fans. I wonder if somehow the "addressable strips" are conflicting with the ARGB header.

I think Armoury Crate/Aura Sync need to be able to control the two RGB headers on the board separately. It looks like the ARGB header "wins out" and the ARGB commands are confusing the RGB device, so it gives up and does nothing.

It looks like I may need to replace it with this (the Tower 100 only supports 120mm coolers), but not having a lot of luck finding a reseller other than one dodgy "ships from China" entry on Newegg.com.