cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH7, how to eset memory overclock?

neotokyo
Level 7
Hi,

I looked everywhere but I couldn't find an answer for my problem.

Is there a way to reset the memory OC without having to reset the whole bios every time?

I also have a Maximus VIII Ranger, and the board has a MemOK! button to reset the memory OC. On the C7H, when my memory OC doesn't work, the opt code stays at either "C5", "1F", or "15", and there's nothing I can do besides resetting the whole bios with the "Clear CMOS" button at the back of the board. I tried the "Safe_BOOT" button on the board but it just seems to do a forced reset before getting stuck at the same opt_code again without ever entering the bios in safe mode. I also tried to remove a DDR4 stick and boot the board with just one DDR4 module to force the bios to reset the memory settings like in the old days, but the boards still got stuck at the same opt_codes. The fail count setting in the bios DDR4 timings setting page doesn't do anything either.

Anyone has an idea about what's going on? Is it related to the numerous bugs this bios 2406 has? like the mouse cursor works fine with a regular non-high dpi mouse, but doesn't with a high DPI mouse?

I have a C7H without Wifi using BIOS 2406, and a R5 3600 with 16BG of DDR4 (ballistix Sport LT).
5 REPLIES 5

gupsterg
Level 13
These are probably bugs.

If you hold down the power button on mobo or PC case, the board will turn off and come out of "C5", etc. It will enter a "Safe mode" but not lose settings.

Be aware UEFI 2501 is out, similar to UEFI 2406, but has some fixes

Version 2501 2019/07/18 14.66 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO(WI-FI) BIOS 2501
Fix an issue where the mouse will sometimes freeze in the UEFI.
Update multi-language string.
Fix an issue with the Safe Boot button.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
These are probably bugs.

If you hold down the power button on mobo or PC case, the board will turn off and come out of "C5", etc. It will enter a "Safe mode" but not lose settings.

I had the time to try that a couple of times today, it doesn't work. Holding the power button on mobo or PC just shutdowns the motherboard, I waited to see if it was powering it up again by itself, it didn't. The motherboard went straight to C5 every time I powered it up again.

neotokyo
Level 7
Thanks, I'll try to hold the power button see if it works, I don't have the time right now, tho. I checked if the Safe_boot button did work now with 2501 to enter the bios in safe mode after a failed memory OC, but it still didn't.

amadeus1171
Level 7
Do you have a "safe boot" button on your motherboard?

neotokyo wrote:
I had the time to try that a couple of times today, it doesn't work. Holding the power button on mobo or PC just shutdowns the motherboard, I waited to see if it was powering it up again by itself, it didn't. The motherboard went straight to C5 every time I powered it up again.

Ahh ok, perhaps difference between what kinda settings we each maybe using when profile fail, dunno.

amadeus1171 wrote:
Do you have a "safe boot" button on your motherboard?

He does, but it would seem due to how UEFI is currently a bit buggy perhaps not working.

For example Q-LED for DRAM works when I use R7 2700X on C7H, but with R5 3600 it does not.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video