cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH7 Hero + F4-3200C14D-16GTZR in 4x8?

donalgodon
Level 7
I am running 16GB of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR in 2x8 and it even runs at very tight timings with 3333 MHz.

It's Samsung B-Die and the XMP profile works as do many of Stiltz' profiles.

Do you think I would be able to double my ram and occupy the two empty slots with another identical F4-3200C14D-16GTZR kit?

I realize I might have to back the speed down a bit, but I'm hoping that at least 3200 MHz will work.

Thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
donalgodon wrote:
Thoughts?

It's not really advisable to do that kind of thing https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Even if kits are nominally "the same" very often they have differences that make XMP fail or even manual tweaking a nightmare...that being said Samsung B die has enabled some people to get away with it...their IMC's obviously being up to the task....so it's a gamble...

Depends how easily you can return the kit if it it doesn't pan out.

obviously a single kit of 4 sticks binned to run together would be best...

syldon
Level 9
donalgodon wrote:
I am running 16GB of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR in 2x8 and it even runs at very tight timings with 3333 MHz.

It's Samsung B-Die and the XMP profile works as do many of Stiltz' profiles.

Do you think I would be able to double my ram and occupy the two empty slots with another identical F4-3200C14D-16GTZR kit?

I realize I might have to back the speed down a bit, but I'm hoping that at least 3200 MHz will work.

Thoughts?

I couldn't get 4X8 to run stable even at 3200. I gave up and reduced to 2X8. I currently run at 3466. I have had quite a bit of experience with Ryzen memory OCing. I owned the CH6 more or less since launch. I tried all the usuals with no success in the 4X8 department. I will try again on the next bios revisions for the CH7.

On a side note. It isn't a good idea to add a second set of memory stick. When you buy 4 sticks of memory as quad channel, you are buying memory that has been verified to work as a batch together. When you buy memory in separate intervals, you stand a chance of finding memory with incompatible timings. Some memory even retains the same vendor code, but it produced at a totally different facility due to production volume changes etc.

syldon wrote:
I couldn't get 4X8 to run stable even at 3200. I gave up and reduced to 2X8. I currently run at 3466. I have had quite a bit of experience with Ryzen memory OCing. I owned the CH6 more or less since launch. I tried all the usuals with no success in the 4X8 department. I will try again on the next bios revisions for the CH7.

On a side note. It isn't a good idea to add a second set of memory stick. When you buy 4 sticks of memory as quad channel, you are buying memory that has been verified to work as a batch together. When you buy memory in separate intervals, you stand a chance of finding memory with incompatible timings. Some memory even retains the same vendor code, but it produced at a totally different facility due to production volume changes etc.

What CPU are you using?

donalgodon wrote:
What CPU are you using?

I added my specs to my profile.

To add your own - look under settings and functions top right. Edit your details.

I just wanted to follow up and state for the record that I got the 4 x 8 set and it works perfectly.

I got lucky and got the exact same modules.

BlackBishop
Level 7
I'm running 4x8GB config. It is not factory matched quad - just two sets of trident Z 3200@14 kits (it just happened they are from same batch - they have sequential serial numbers). Anyway many people do the same with success. Maybe it is more important for very high speeds or tight timings but for ryzen speeds it is just a gimmick. F4-3200C14D-16GTZ are always b-dies with exactly same timings. Pretty much all that I know and have 4x8 have them running 3200@14 or more.

My first ryzen was most likely limited to 3466@14 as max stable. But the BIOS was not as good as they are now and I didn't know few important things.

My second CPU (RMA for segfault issue) is much better - not only it runs 4GHZ@1.308V with AVX load but it worked even at 3600@16-16-16 2T - with 4 sticks.
All settings manual of course.

So TL;DR; version.
1) possible but absolutely not guaranteed. Either you have luck of not.
2) manual settings necessary - not only voltages, timings and procODT but RTT, CAD bus, off-center termination voltage also helps as well as correct VRM settings
3) don't treat DRAM calculator as absolute solution - it is pretty good as starting point but for your own chip you may need to tweak values from it

BlackBishop wrote:
I'm running 4x8GB config. It is not factory matched quad - just two sets of trident Z 3200@14 kits (it just happened they are from same batch - they have sequential serial numbers). ……………….

So TL;DR; version.
1) possible but absolutely not guaranteed. Either you have luck of not.
2) manual settings necessary - not only voltages, timings and procODT but RTT, CAD bus, off-center termination voltage also helps as well as correct VRM settings
3) don't treat DRAM calculator as absolute solution - it is pretty good as starting point but for your own chip you may need to tweak values from it

You bought some memory at two different points in time and they have sequential serial numbers? You really should be putting lottery tickets on; it is that region of lucky.

The TL;DR totally agree with. Especially 1usmus's calculator. It does not work with my memory sticks. But many are very happy with the results they have achieved from it.

syldon wrote:
You bought some memory at two different points in time and they have sequential serial numbers?

Not two different times - just ordered two sets in same time in same shop.
They had to be picked from the same box in a row 😉

Frostie36
Level 7
I'll be risking adding another set in a few months, or sooner if prices drop a little, got my first flare x set arriving tomorrow as I can only get my current 32gb (4x8gb 2 sets purchased separately months apart) corsair lpx 3200 MHz ram to 2800mhz max. I purchased the corsair ram way back in 2015 when I built my previous intel skylake build so not sure what version of the ram I have but I believe it's Hynix and being dual ranked is even more problematic but considering I could get 4 sticks of them to 2800 I think there's a very good chance of being able to run 2 sets of flare x at 3200 MHz considering their Samsung b die and single ranked, time will tell.