cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH6 Hero Questions

jotakinhan
Level 7
I have just bought a new CH6, 1700x and 16GB of G.Skill cl14 3200 B-Die. I have Windows 10. I have two questions:

1.I think i have succesfully overclocked my memory to 3400, how can i verify its actually running at that? Windows app etc.

2.I have plugged an Akasa Interconnect EX to USB 3.0 header. With "xHCI hand-off" in BIOS set to enabled it constantly disconnects and reconnects. When set to disabled it works fine. Some people claim that if set to disabled, it will not work with USB 3.0 speed. Howewer i have understood that enabling xHCI hand-off is only workaround for operating systems which dont have xHCI hand-off support. So it should be set to disabled, as Windows 10 does support xHCI hand-off? At least it seems to work in 3.0 speed with "xHCI hand-off" disabled, as a program called usbtreeviewer confirms them as 3.0 ports. Also speed was near 100 MB/s when i transferred files trough that USB port, isnt USB 2.0 limited to 60 MB/s?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

syldon wrote:
There is some posts about memory configuration here. They basically point to a programme that can read the database on the memory chip itself. Adding those settings increases stability massively. Since setting my memory to timings indicated I have had no USB disconnects. It is definitely downloading these two programmes and changing your memory timings.

Sometime today I will make a list of all the timings I retrieved from these two programmes and which settings they applied to. I will edit this post to and add them here.

Thanks, that looks very interesting, definitely worth a try... Do i need a paid version of AIDA for this?

Did you have USB disconnects before too? Was it Front panel? 2.0 or 3.0? How often? For me it seems very random. Sometimes no disconnects, sometimes constantly.

Btw, always when i power up my computer after it has been disconnected from power (or PSU turned off) it nees two tries to power on. First time i press power button it stays on 3-4 seconds, then powers off, them on again automatically and boots successfully. Is this normal? Some Ryzen POST-thing? If power is not cut, it starts up normally.

jotakinhan wrote:
Thanks, that looks very interesting, definitely worth a try... Do i need a paid version of AIDA for this?

Did you have USB disconnects before too? Was it Front panel? 2.0 or 3.0? How often? For me it seems very random. Sometimes no disconnects, sometimes constantly.

Btw, always when i power up my computer after it has been disconnected from power (or PSU turned off) it nees two tries to power on. First time i press power button it stays on 3-4 seconds, then powers off, them on again automatically and boots successfully. Is this normal? Some Ryzen POST-thing? If power is not cut, it starts up normally.

No you don't need a paid version. The freeware version is all I used.

The disconnects were fairly constant. It was at the front connector, yes. I noticed because I was trying to add all my music back onto my iPhone. If I tried to add a small amount of files it was ok. Adding a lot of music just made it lock up because it lost the connection. Same with moving movies onto a USB stick for the TV, the transfers just failed. Now things work as they should.

I made a separate post. I pooled everything I have picked up. The settings I used brought my memory up to 3200. But I found I get a faster set up with a lower memory rating, because of other settings that the higher mem speed would not allow me to use. Post link is here. I kept all the timings though to make my system run with better stability.

And lastly, the bios testing has an incremental routine set up. So it tries one setting, then if it fails, it then reboots with the next setting in line. The fact your system is doing this indicates that things are not right. Once you have the right timings in, the system should boot a lot faster. BTW if your settings are bad, the system will boot with the lowest rating it can at 2133Mhz.

syldon wrote:
No you don't need a paid version. The freeware version is all I used.

The disconnects were fairly constant. It was at the front connector, yes. I noticed because I was trying to add all my music back onto my iPhone. If I tried to add a small amount of files it was ok. Adding a lot of music just made it lock up because it lost the connection. Same with moving movies onto a USB stick for the TV, the transfers just failed. Now things work as they should.

I made a separate post. I pooled everything I have picked up. The settings I used brought my memory up to 3200. But I found I get a faster set up with a lower memory rating, because of other settings that the higher mem speed would not allow me to use. Post link is here. I kept all the timings though to make my system run with better stability.

And lastly, the bios testing has an incremental routine set up. So it tries one setting, then if it fails, it then reboots with the next setting in line. The fact your system is doing this indicates that things are not right. Once you have the right timings in, the system should boot a lot faster. BTW if your settings are bad, the system will boot with the lowest rating it can at 2133Mhz.

Thanks, very nice to know someone else had what seems like exact same problem, and was able to sort it out, so i at least have some hope too 😄 I will install the needed beta bios and try those settings tomorrow.

Btw, despite my system turns off and on again when reset or power loss, my memory overclock stays (according to cpu-z). However i did copy these overclock and memory settings (I copied his settings because he has same memory and mobo and non-x 1700, so i thought my system would be able to run these, i have the x variant) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73A5jSh3l0 maybe some other, non memory-related setting is causing the boot issue. I will look into that.

So changing voltages and timings can definitely influence whether USB is stable or not? I have these disconnect and reconnect issues with the rear USB 3.0 ports even at default BIOS settings. Not that many people have reported it either, which seems strange to me.

Undesirable wrote:
So changing voltages and timings can definitely influence whether USB is stable or not? I have these disconnect and reconnect issues with the rear USB 3.0 ports even at default BIOS settings. Not that many people have reported it either, which seems strange to me.

Sounds very strange indeed. I have never had problems with the rear ports.

I tried the beta bios which allows to set more ram timing options, but didn't quite find out which numbers from Taiphoon burner i should enter into which fields. I tried connecting my front panel to the USB 2.0 header, and there has been no problems since. However, this is only a temporary solution as it limits the front panel to 2.0 speed. I ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271825163228?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for troubleshooting the issue, i will report my findings when it arrives.

So my USB3 PCIE card arrived. Tested my USB3 front panel connected to it, and no problems, so looks like the problem is the USB3 header on my CH6. I will be using my front panel connected to PCIE card for some days, if i will not detect any problems, i will return my CH6.

Also while trying to get the PCIE card to work i noticed that it does not work in the 2 lowest PCIE slots. I only got it to work in the reinforced PCIE x8 slot. (I have heard others having similar problems with expansion cards.)

I updated to bios 1403 and AGESA 1.0.0.6, does not help with front panel disconnecting issue when connected to the motherboard USB3 header.

Beta bios 1501 has a fix for some problem with the PCI.

* Fixes PCIEX4 bandwidth setting getting lost after power is removed

It is one of the stickies of this forum section

So i examined the manual and it says that the USB3 header supports 2 ports. that may be the reason why i cannot get my Akasa front panel (4 USB3 ports and USB3 card reader) to work properly but the cheap chinese 2-port front panel works. So cannot complain if 4 port panel does not work when only 2 is promised. However i think also the add-in USB3 card with header is also meant to support only 2 front panel connectors, or so i would understand from this graph: https://www.renesas.com/en-us/products/usb-assp/upd720201.html There is 4 USB3 connectors, 2 for back and 2 for front.

I am happy i got it to work with the add-in card, so no longer seeking solution to this problem. Unless someone else has USB3 front panel with more than 2 connectors working properly with their CH6.

jotakinhan
Level 7
I have discovered that the Renesas USB 3.0 card only works when in cpu-controlled 8x PCIE slot. My new issue is that i got a better GPU (Vega 64) and i want to use it as 16x, but having Renesas USB card in the other cpu-controlled PCIE slot will limit both slots to 8x. I tried updating BIOS to 1701 but problem persists. I cant get the USB card to get recognized on chipset-controlled 1x or 4x slots. i know that at least the 1x slots work since i successfully tried a wifi card in 1x slot.