cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH6 Hero Questions

jotakinhan
Level 7
I have just bought a new CH6, 1700x and 16GB of G.Skill cl14 3200 B-Die. I have Windows 10. I have two questions:

1.I think i have succesfully overclocked my memory to 3400, how can i verify its actually running at that? Windows app etc.

2.I have plugged an Akasa Interconnect EX to USB 3.0 header. With "xHCI hand-off" in BIOS set to enabled it constantly disconnects and reconnects. When set to disabled it works fine. Some people claim that if set to disabled, it will not work with USB 3.0 speed. Howewer i have understood that enabling xHCI hand-off is only workaround for operating systems which dont have xHCI hand-off support. So it should be set to disabled, as Windows 10 does support xHCI hand-off? At least it seems to work in 3.0 speed with "xHCI hand-off" disabled, as a program called usbtreeviewer confirms them as 3.0 ports. Also speed was near 100 MB/s when i transferred files trough that USB port, isnt USB 2.0 limited to 60 MB/s?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

eight-bit
Level 7
1) CPU-Z's memory tab will show you ram speed. multiply it by 2 because it is dual channel.

2) Not sure, sorry

entropic-remnan
Level 9
The wonderful thing about standards is they aren't, lol.

So for the first one, use CPU-Z or a program called "HWinfo". They will tell you droves. Eight-bit misspoke when he said dual channel and I think he meant double rate which is part of what DDR stands for: double data rate. Basically, there are two data transfers per clock cycle which effectively makes the memory faster by a factor of two.

As far as USB goes, don't get too wrapped up in what the setting is -- I'd just use what works. Also remember that all these BIOS are buggy BIOS that were rushed out because AMD pushed up release of the Ryzen chips. That's how we all got in this mess, lol. Yes, Asus has a job to do, but the reason it's so buggy is as much on AMD as Asus.

That said, I love my Ryzen system and I'll love it even more when it finally works right.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Just that was confusing me, cpu-z showing strangely low numbers, ok i need to multiply. New to RAM overclocking...

Bad news is that the front panel just started repeatedly disconnecting even on "xHCI hand-off" disabled... I used the same front panel on my old mobo but because it had no USB 3.0 header i had to use it on 2.0 header with an adapter. It of course meant that it worked only with USB 2.0 speeds, but it always worked reliably. So i haven't had the Akasa front panel on a 3.0 header before, and am worried if the front panel is actually defective... I'd like to know if it's just caused by another bug in the BIOS (possibly a common issue?) or if it's hardware defect either in the board or the front panel... if i only had another mobo with USB3.0 header or another 3.0 front panel (which i don't) i could narrow down some options.

By the way, the corner in which the 3.0 header is located is not screwed down to the case (because my old mobo was mATX, and the case doesn't have a place for a screw in there) so could the disconnecting be caused by some sort of vibration?

Another question, how does the warranty of CH6 work? I bought it new from a german ebay seller. I live in finland. In the box there is a warranty form that says it needs to be filled and sent to asus support within a month from the purchase. I filled and sent it but got replied by asus that "your S/N appears not to be from united states or canada." So i wonder if warranty works differently in europe? I'd like to know in the case the mobo would in fact be defective.

I found XHCI enabled was causing disconnects. This may get fixed on later revisions which should be coming out soon.

syldon wrote:
I found XHCI enabled was causing disconnects. This may get fixed on later revisions which should be coming out soon.

You're talking about completely disabling XHCI, not the XHCI hand-off option, right? Where in the bios is that option? Does it change to EHCI or something, and how does XHCI differ from EHCI? Does disabling XHCI have an effect to USB speeds?

jotakinhan wrote:
Just that was confusing me, cpu-z showing strangely low numbers, ok i need to multiply. New to RAM overclocking...

Bad news is that the front panel just started repeatedly disconnecting even on "xHCI hand-off" disabled... I used the same front panel on my old mobo but because it had no USB 3.0 header i had to use it on 2.0 header with an adapter. It of course meant that it worked only with USB 2.0 speeds, but it always worked reliably. So i haven't had the Akasa front panel on a 3.0 header before, and am worried if the front panel is actually defective... I'd like to know if it's just caused by another bug in the BIOS (possibly a common issue?) or if it's hardware defect either in the board or the front panel... if i only had another mobo with USB3.0 header or another 3.0 front panel (which i don't) i could narrow down some options.

By the way, the corner in which the 3.0 header is located is not screwed down to the case (because my old mobo was mATX, and the case doesn't have a place for a screw in there) so could the disconnecting be caused by some sort of vibration?

Another question, how does the warranty of CH6 work? I bought it new from a german ebay seller. I live in finland. In the box there is a warranty form that says it needs to be filled and sent to asus support within a month from the purchase. I filled and sent it but got replied by asus that "your S/N appears not to be from united states or canada." So i wonder if warranty works differently in europe? I'd like to know in the case the mobo would in fact be defective.

I have no idea on the warranty. Some companies have "global warranties" which are only limited by the laws in each country, while others segregate their sales, keep track of serial numbers, and only warranty boards which are sold in the region they are intended for. But, that being said, Asus has a number of websites based in different countries or regions and you need to get on and register with the correct one. If you're on the USA site, that might be the issue but I don't know what site you should get on, sorry.

Back to the 3.0 header -- I've not seen any that have screws. That cable seems to fit pretty tightly so I can't imagine vibration loosening it unless you had to route the cable in a way which puts tension on it? I presume by front panel you mean your case front panel and that the USB 3.0 connection on it doesn't work consistently.

I actually have a small, round Asus ROG sticker over my USB 3.0 port on my case because I have a USB 3.0 card reader plugged into that header for my UHS-II camera cards. I have no problems with disconnects on that unless I try to turn off the "ROG Effects" which darkens the "Start" button and drive light on the mobo so they don't light up. When I do that, the power to my USB 3.0 header drops out! Very odd.

Can't add much to that but the advice about playing with the xHCI hand off sounds like something worth trying.

Also, if you have problems getting your memory up to speed, I found that the CH6 doesn't read the Intel XMP profiles properly to set up your memory for it's rated speed. I have a post on the board here about how I used Thaiphoon Burner on my Corsair memory to get that data and manually enter it using the new 9943 or 9945 BIOS beta twins -- either of which exposes many more parameters to be manually set. That allowed me to just pick the 3200 speed strap at 100 mhz base clock, no D.O.C.P. selected and run my memory perfectly. Not sure it applies to you but I would be willing to bet many are suffering from the same failure of the BIOS to pick up the XMP data properly from the sticks.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

So i got it registered. I tried to activate "extended warranty" but i guess that is not for finland. Anyway, got the basic warranty at least i guess. Have you fellow CH6 owners succesfully uploaded your warranty invoices/information forms? If so, where did you find that "contract code" and "check code" or something?

I updated to BIOS version 1201 but still same problem, maybe it happens less with XHCI hand-off disabled but happens still. Should i try older BIOS versions?

There is some posts about memory configuration here. They basically point to a programme that can read the database on the memory chip itself. Adding those settings increases stability massively. Since setting my memory to timings indicated I have had no USB disconnects. It is definitely downloading these two programmes and changing your memory timings.

Sometime today I will make a list of all the timings I retrieved from these two programmes and which settings they applied to. I will edit this post to and add them here.