cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH VI HERO unstable temp readings

Calin
Level 7
i have no idea if this is normal or not
my setup is CH6 hero wifi, ryzen 5 2600x, 16 gb (2x8) corsair vengeance 3200 lpx
the temp readings i am getting are pretty stupid. if i run a stress test on the cpu @4.1-4.2 OC AI Suite goes up pretty fast to 78-82 celcius while the temps from the antec kuhler 950 AIO stay within 44-45 while stress testing.
when the system is idling the temps also fluctuate a lot! i mean A LOT! like every 1-2 seconds they change sometimes even from 35-50 degrees.
so what is this related to ? hardware? software ?
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Core temps will reflect the load on the CPU and even at "idle", background processes will be boosting core speeds and temps...so my first guess would be that's what you are seeing...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Core temps will reflect the load on the CPU and even at "idle", background processes will be boosting core speeds and temps...so my first guess would be that's what you are seeing...

so core temps can drop from one second to another by 10 degrees?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, core temps will vary a lot if the load on them increases or decreases a large percentage.

One thing to note, running multiple software that polls the sensors at the same time can give bad readings...

If you have no reason to doubt the cooler is functioning, I would assume the temps you are seeing are reflecting core temps and fluctuating with AFR...as cores go from idle to load.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes, core temps will vary a lot if the load on them increases or decreases a large percentage.

One thing to note, running multiple software that polls the sensors at the same time can give bad readings...

If you have no reason to doubt the cooler is functioning, I would assume the temps you are seeing are reflecting core temps and fluctuating with AFR...as cores go from idle to load.

these temp readings are while idling. fluctuations of 10 degrees + or - every 1-2 seconds doing nothing. and i get these reading even if AI suite is the only software that is monitoring these values.

now i come from a CH 5 formula with an fx 8350 and i NEVER had this. that processor has been running OC to 4.0 for 4-5 years straight and i never had this problem. the temps were always stable and from a physical point of view, i highly doubt the processor can heat up 10 degrees in 1 second and then drop down another 10 the next second.

xeizo
Level 12
Zen has a lot more, and better, temp sensors.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Calin
Level 7
ok then i should pop-in the wraith cooler and go for a 4.1-4.2 OC and i should hold ? since i am not going beyond the boost capabilities of the proc should i be ok? can u recommend the voltages and settings within bios for that ? might as well throw the freakin antec to the trash bin since it has no use now.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It's my understanding that AI suite reports a composite temperature of CPU Package and core temps...so I figure it would fluctuate...but I may be wrong on this...maybe someone with the same hardware combo can confirm or deny the fluctuation.

Does Ryzen Master show the same fluctuation?

CPU temp or package temp should not fluctuate like that...core temps will if they are working

If you don't trust the cooler...sure, try a different one...better to rule out malfunction

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
It's my understanding that AI suite reports a composite temperature of CPU Package and core temps...so I figure it would fluctuate...but I may be wrong on this...maybe someone with the same hardware combo can confirm or deny the fluctuation.

Does Ryzen Master show the same fluctuation?

CPU temp or package temp should not fluctuate like that...core temps will if they are working

If you don't trust the cooler...sure, try a different one...better to rule out malfunction

yeah ryzen master shows the same fluctuations

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you running a fixed frequency OC? with AFR disabled?

I've seen other threads where this jumping about disappeared at stock...i.e.BIOS defaults

You on the latest BIOS for the board?