cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H random freezing/black screens qcode 8 (DRAM led)

darkdavid08
Level 7
Writing this from my phone so excuse any poor formatting.

Been having random freezes/black screens (qcode 8 Dram led lit) for the last several weeks after updating to the 2000 and higher bios versions and new AMD chipset drivers mid-late March. It progressively got worse until it freezes as soon as a minute after boot on desktop.

I've tried flashing back my BIOS to every version back to 1002 and no dice, same symptoms. Clearing CMOS and going stock each time, even safe mode does it.

The ram in my system is a f4-3200c14q-16gtzr set, CPU - 2700x, Storage - m.2/satassd/hdd, PSU - ax1500i (just replaced), Cooler - H150i pro, GPU - GTX 1070ti, and Motherboard is of course Asus C7H nonwifi.

I just ran memtest86 today on my RAM and it passed all tests with 0 errors. I'm seriously at wits end and don't know how to proceed from here without RMAing my motherboard. Everything has worked fine on PE3 everything Auto (stilts fast 3200) settings for almost a year up till the last few bios and AMD chipset updates. This makes me hesitant to RMA the motherboard as i don't think it's the issue.

Also, the freezing occurs regardless of OC or stock settings, and happens in safe mode.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to go from here troubleshooting-wise, I'd be forever grateful.

Edit: also use Corsair iCue and Msi Afterburner along with having Asus AURA installed.

Edit2: Just got a Kmode Exception BSOD in safe mode; also went back to 0702 BIOS and tried a system restore, removed iCue from startup, now just getting freezes code 24 consistently 30s-1m at desktop after startup.
15 REPLIES 15

Lothos
Level 7
darkdavid08 wrote:
Writing this from my phone so excuse any poor formatting.

Been having random freezes/black screens (qcode 8 Dram led lit) for the last several weeks after updating to the 2000 and higher bios versions and new AMD chipset drivers mid-late March. It progressively got worse until it freezes as soon as a minute after boot on desktop.

I've tried flashing back my BIOS to every version back to 1002 and no dice, same symptoms. Clearing CMOS and going stock each time, even safe mode does it.

The ram in my system is a f4-3200c14q-16gtzr set, CPU - 2700x, Storage - m.2/satassd/hdd, PSU - ax1500i (just replaced), Cooler - H150i pro, GPU - GTX 1070ti, and Motherboard is of course Asus C7H nonwifi.

I just ran memtest86 today on my RAM and it passed all tests with 0 errors. I'm seriously at wits end and don't know how to proceed from here without RMAing my motherboard. Everything has worked fine on PE3 everything Auto (stilts fast 3200) settings for almost a year up till the last few bios and AMD chipset updates. This makes me hesitant to RMA the motherboard as i don't think it's the issue.

Also, the freezing occurs regardless of OC or stock settings, and happens in safe mode.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to go from here troubleshooting-wise, I'd be forever grateful.

Edit: also use Corsair iCue and Msi Afterburner along with having Asus AURA installed.

Edit2: Just got a Kmode Exception BSOD in safe mode; also went back to 0702 BIOS and tried a system restore, removed iCue from startup, now just getting freezes code 24 consistently 30s-1m at desktop after startup.

Memtest alone is not enough. Use InteBurnTest and use the custom setting. Set it to 6144 for the ram and make it do 10 passes. If it passes that then its not your memory.

liakou
Level 7
I just experienced this as well today and now I come across this here. I was watching a movie when suddenly my monitor went all black and Qcode 8 on the board with orange light below it flashing. Never had any issues with my system for ever since I built it last year(loads of multimedia playback and gaming). Im also on the latest BIOS and latest chipset drivers. I had to hard reset my system and after the 2nd power-up it started again normally..

liakou wrote:
I just experienced this as well today and now I come across this here. I was watching a movie when suddenly my monitor went all black and Qcode 8 on the board with orange light below it flashing. Never had any issues with my system for ever since I built it last year(loads of multimedia playback and gaming). Im also on the latest BIOS and latest chipset drivers. I had to hard reset my system and after the 2nd power-up it started again normally..

the black screen issue for me was fixed by redoing my display driver for my vega64...dont think it had anything to do with my board since it hasn't happen again since

Well the RMA came back, they replaced my whole mobo.
However the issue is still present and I'm at a complete loss as to why at this point. If anyone that's still keeping up with this thread can give me any advice on where to go from here I'd appreciate it. Over a month wasted because of this, really frustrating.

s1DDy
Level 7
Had the same problem wich suddenly started after flashing the 2203 but after i updated to bios v2304all problems dissapeared.., even managed to get my gskill tridentz 3200 c14 to 3400 by only upping the speed using docp.. (using a 1700x dud.. silicon lottery ftw.. XD )
Crosshair VII Hero, 3900x @stock, 16Gb Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz @3400Mhz CL14

gupsterg
Level 13
darkdavid08 wrote:

MeanMachine wrote:
Qcode 8 with the DRAM led lit indicates a problem with RAM.

This Q-Code and Q-LED combo denotes CPU/system instability. This was the same on C6H, I encountered it and others.

darkdavid08 wrote:
Well the RMA came back, they replaced my whole mobo.
However the issue is still present and I'm at a complete loss as to why at this point. If anyone that's still keeping up with this thread can give me any advice on where to go from here I'd appreciate it. Over a month wasted because of this, really frustrating.

If in your shoes I'd flash latest UEFI using flashback. Connect minimal HW, make board POST at default settings and not go to OS, see if it falls over. If it does not then I'd try going to OS. Besides trying to install Windows try perhaps Linux Mint, the install USB would allow you to go to "live" OS without install to SSD/HDD.

darkdavid08 wrote:
New edit: System works with all manual voltages using recommended voltages from another C7H OC thread on Overclockers.net, had to change SOC voltage to 1.15V, CPU voltage to 1.35V, DRAM voltage to 1.4V and CLDO_VDDP to 980mV. Set all voltages manually. Set RAM to 2133MT/s too.

Not sure why Auto worked for so long and why this is working now, that being said I have a day till my RMA label shows up. Should I still RMA the board?

Reading above post and how you've changed PSU, tried another RAM stick and gained another mobo, I suspect CPU.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video