Did you mean: 

Build was fine, then dead with Q-code 8

zabblleon
Level 7
Build:
Ryzen 1700x
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW
Crosshair VI

Was up running fine on BIOS 902, then the machine suddenly died. I can access BIOS, but once an operating system tries to load I get bootloops or freezes with Q-code 8, RAM light flashing. Things I've tried:

- Bootable Windows 10 USB; bootloops similarly to loading a Windows drive
- memtest on both 16gb sticks, both show no errors. Sometimes catches at "memory controller" initialization step if RAM voltage is set too low
- Drive boots into Windows 10 fine on another machine
- Tried both new BIOS versions and reinstalled 902, clearing CMOS each time.

Any ideas on what I could try to save my build?
39 REPLIES 39

hbsteddy wrote:
actually i tried Crucial CT8G4DFD8213 C16FBD1 1 and both. Same error.

k if you got a 16 gig kit ..... 8x2...put them in a2 b2 ram slots
shut off then unplug the psu from the wall......when the lights go out hold in the reset bios button on the back of the board for 30 seconds ..count it out ......then before you do any thing else....
check the cpu block if you can not move it a little bit it's might be too tight .....loosen it up a bit....
i only tell you these things because they caused me issues when i first built mine

• unplug AC
  • take battery of for 10-minutes
  • boot
  • should boot to bios
  • set ram speed 2133
  • done

petro770 wrote:

• unplug AC
  • take battery of for 10-minutes
  • boot
  • should boot to bios
  • set ram speed 2133
  • done

ram always at 2133 i only use standard settings and there ram are always at 2133. Anyway did battery remove for 10 minutes and many hours. Boot to Bios etc. is no problem. Its just if we try to boot from Windows Stick or Windows Installtion. At this point its Stack.

hbsteddy wrote:
Boot to Bios etc. is no problem. Its just if we try to boot from Windows Stick or Windows Installtion. At this point its Stack.

That's a pretty good summary. Bios detects all drives, graphics card, CPU speed/voltage/type, et cetera but refuses to load an operating system or bootable USB.

zabblleon wrote:
That's a pretty good summary. Bios detects all drives, graphics card, CPU speed/voltage/type, et cetera but refuses to load an operating system or bootable USB.

Thats it.

Tried this suggestion from the Overclockers forum thread, but no luck:

"Try this:

PSU Power Off. Take RAM completely out. PSU Power On. Clear CMOS. Try to boot, receive error.

PSU Power Off. Put RAM back in (Slot A2 is recommended for whatever reason). PSU Power On. Clear CMOS. Try to boot.

If that doesn't work, fix your DRAM Boot Voltage and DRAM Voltage to 1.35v in BIOS."

Unless an Asus rep can anticipate a fix for this issue quite a few people are bumping into I'm going to have to RMA/exchange.

Demoniacstar wrote:
k if you got a 16 gig kit ..... 8x2...put them in a2 b2 ram slots
shut off then unplug the psu from the wall......when the lights go out hold in the reset bios button on the back of the board for 30 seconds ..count it out ......then before you do any thing else....
check the cpu block if you can not move it a little bit it's might be too tight .....loosen it up a bit....
i only tell you these things because they caused me issues when i first built mine

did it. Read it already in another forum but no success...

I already requested an RMA. None of the tricks worked. Maybe I need to pray to a voodoo God first?

If it wasn't for the AM3 mounts and the tons of USB ports I'd switch to MSI.

Have you tried updating to the 1001 BIOS (or the 2T one) that was sticked at the top of the forums?

Evanair wrote:
Have you tried updating to the 1001 BIOS (or the 2T one) that was sticked at the top of the forums?

Yeah, this is persistent on 902 and 1001. No difference between the two.