cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot fails due to delay in cooling pump cpu fan monitor

jeffrs20
Level 7
Hello. I have a X470-F based system that is water cooled with a custom designed loop. In the loop is a Koolance INS-FM16 paddle wheel flow meter which is a good visual indicator that the water is flowing. I just added a ADT-FM03 frequency adapter which multiplies the very slow frequency of the paddle wheel output to a frequency on par with a standard fan, and connected it to the CPU_FAN monitor input. The obvious goal is to cause a shutdown of the system if the water flow ceases, such as if there is a pump failure. However, there is an inherent delay as the pump starts up and begins to move the paddle wheel. The CPU fan monitor is causing a boot failure to BIOS because it is not seeing a valid fan input soon enough. A 2-3 second delay in fan detection would solve this problem.

Has anyone had this problem, and how did you solve it? Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Kelutrel
Level 11
jeffrs20 wrote:
Hello. I have a X470-F based system that is water cooled with a custom designed loop. In the loop is a Koolance INS-FM16 paddle wheel flow meter which is a good visual indicator that the water is flowing. I just added a ADT-FM03 frequency adapter which multiplies the very slow frequency of the paddle wheel output to a frequency on par with a standard fan, and connected it to the CPU_FAN monitor input. The obvious goal is to cause a shutdown of the system if the water flow ceases, such as if there is a pump failure. However, there is an inherent delay as the pump starts up and begins to move the paddle wheel. The CPU fan monitor is causing a boot failure to BIOS because it is not seeing a valid fan input soon enough. A 2-3 second delay in fan detection would solve this problem.

Has anyone had this problem, and how did you solve it? Thanks.

Afaik there is no way for the BIOS to wait a couple seconds before checking for the cpu fan.
Why don't you just attach the custom loop pump to the CPU_FAN input instead, so to cause the shutdown when the pump stops ?