cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Version 3904 Available for ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

ationfictons
Level 10

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-model/helpdesk_bios

Version 3904
2021/12/15 20.65 MBytes
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO BIOS 3904
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.5
2. Improve system performance

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8H.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."
32 REPLIES 32

MKEEN
Level 9
Hope they release for the B550-E soon, I've been have a few weird memory issues lately

criznittle
Level 8
I'd like to know what's been updated, and what sort of performance improvements we can expect. Is AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.5 worth updating for? Anything new in the BIOS we can tinker with for some additional gains?

Has PBO changed much in the last few BIOS updates? I've had it off after using it for about a month at the launch of 3950x. I realized it wasn't giving me much of a gain at the cost of all the additional heat and energy output.

ManMountain
Level 9
1.2.0.5 BIOS updates the SMU firmware for AMD's Ryzen CPUs including Vermeer (Ryzen 5000), Cezanne (Ryzen 5000G), Picasso (Ryzen 3000G) and Raven Ridge (Ryzen 2000G). It also sets TPM enablement by default for Windows 11 through the fTPM functionality.

Can read thread about folk updating here - https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-x570-crosshair-viii-overclocking-discussion-thread.172879...

Piers
Level 8
Any news on the new 1.2.0.5 BIOS update for the B550-E? From what I've read, it would appear the SMU revision changes VID behaviour. Can anyone confirm this?
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Hi,
I'm on the previous Bios on my Dark Hero board, Is this bios update an important one or could I skip it since i Have no issues?

Also, I can't recall if profile are saved or if i do have to note down all my settings. Or if in all case it's better to redo it manually?.
Thanks

I don't want to flash the Bios if not. I have W11 64 ( release version ) running and it regularly crashes to black screen and has to be hard rebooted. sometimes twice a day some times 6 times a day.. Gaming or just reading the news. ALL drivers updated , even RMA'd my GPU ( not happy about that at all , they gave me a NON Samsung memory one) and it now now clear it isn't the GPU. I have done everything but roll back to Win 10 and that is not what I want to do since I know so many NON AMD people that are on W11 and doing just fine.
All Hardware tests fine as well even all 64 GB of Ram.. run in all full stock as well as a 1% OC. I am at my wits end here. This is my first AMD build and I can only depend on my back-up 4790K Intel build for work now.

78Staff
Level 7
Same as 3801, I have to disable TPM in BIOS before I can boot with anything other than Optimized Defaults :(. Not a huge deal, as I have no immediate plans to jump to Win11, but it is annoying. Not sure if bumping some voltages would help here or not. Typically just run DCOP, no other tweaking. 5950X mainly used for image processing ie Lightroom and Photoshop, encoding, etc, not gaming so I really don't chase the bleeding edge on OC.

Hopefully it does fix the black screen issues as AGeek mentioned, those are super annoying I get them about once a week or so on 3801.

78Staff wrote:
Same as 3801, I have to disable TPM in BIOS before I can boot with anything other than Optimized Defaults :(. Not a huge deal, as I have no immediate plans to jump to Win11, but it is annoying. Not sure if bumping some voltages would help here or not. Typically just run DCOP, no other tweaking. 5950X mainly used for image processing ie Lightroom and Photoshop, encoding, etc, not gaming so I really don't chase the bleeding edge on OC.

Hopefully it does fix the black screen issues as AGeek mentioned, those are super annoying I get them about once a week or so on 3801.

Reverted to 3801, like others have posted. 3904 actually made the black screen issues more frequent.

GoLLuM13
Level 7
On 3801, I had the same issue as @AGeek but less frequently, in my case it was something like once in a week. But with this new BIOS version 3904 (that I found kinda buggy) it's once or twice a day at least.
Also, after the flash (and I tried it multiple times with the EZ Flash and the Flashback) or cold boot, or even a restart from Windows 11, I have POST errors whether it's memory related, and my memory is at DOCP/XMP (Q Code : 22) or BIOS related, with a message saying something like "recovery BIOS failed or is corrupted, put a USB with the BIOS file..." (Q Code : F2 & FA)
I did several tests, I did few passes of memtest86 with no error. I reverted back to 3801and all mentioned POST errors disappeared, no 22, F2 or FA. Tested 3904 again, and the errors appeared again. Going back one more time to 3801 made them disappear, my conclusion is that the issue was the 3904 BIOS version being faulty in a way.
So for me 3904 will be a hard pass
Main PC : Asus C8HW / AMD Ryzen 9 3900x / 32 Go 3000 Mhz C15 Corsair Vengeance RGB / nVidia RTX 3090 FE / Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500G / Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black / Lian-li O11 Dynamic XL RoG Certified / Corsair AX1500i
Secondary PC : Asus R5E / Intel i7 5930K / 16 Go 2800 Mhz C16 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 / Asus GTX 980 Poseidon / Samsung 850 Pro 256G / XSPC W/C / Cooler Master Cosmos 2 / FSP Hydro G Pro 850