cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 4201 Destroyed Windows on Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

Zorn_
Level 7
I flashed the 4201 BIOS that was released in beta today, and it completely destroyed my Dark Hero board. Will just not boot Windows, only gets stuck at a F3 Qcode error. I have tried everything, including flashing back to earlier versions, and no matter what my board is just stuck forever at the F3 code. No idea what further I can do besides throw the board in the garbage, but as a warning 4201 is basically malware and should be avoided. It will destroy your board.
17 REPLIES 17

Megascrypt
Level 7
Sorry for the late response. I managed to find best Bios by trying them from 3801 till very latest 4201 in which 4006 that so far has been rock solid, no glitches. For days I have been running without issues, but just yesterday I decided to try again and updated to 4201 and what you know... on idle while PC didn't do anything it rebooted.
I'm certain now its the bios and I've heard from other users having very similar issues e.g freezes, reboots.

Asryan
Level 10
Can other people confirm the 4006 is fine?

I've been running 4006 for 3 months without problems. I tried 4201 and had issues that made me think my PC was busted.

Megascrypt
Level 7
For the heck of it I updated today to 4201, the next reboot BSOD and I wasn't able to boot back to windows till I fully reset the CMOS at the back IO. Run for about 5 hours and while the PC was just sitting doing nothing, it rebooted.
There is definitely serious issue with 4201. Went back to 4006 and its all back to where it should be.

polyh3dron
Level 9

I'm currently experiencing the same issue on 4602 with two separate Dark Hero mobos with two separatre 5950X CPUs and two separate QVL'd RAM kits running at JEDEC defaults. Should I go back to 4006?

Hi,

That should possibly tell you the issue is potentially elsewhere. Try disconnecting everything from the rear IO panel. Are you getting the same Q-CODE as the OP?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

After a fresh Windows install, I'm getting random shutdowns with a 00 error code. PSU swapped with new Corsair RMe 1200. Only things connected to I/O panel are keyboard and mouse.

J_Bish
Level 10

If trying to use docp... reset the bios to default (nothing overclocked at all)... Had issues with running docp