cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 4201 Destroyed Windows on Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

Zorn_
Level 7
I flashed the 4201 BIOS that was released in beta today, and it completely destroyed my Dark Hero board. Will just not boot Windows, only gets stuck at a F3 Qcode error. I have tried everything, including flashing back to earlier versions, and no matter what my board is just stuck forever at the F3 code. No idea what further I can do besides throw the board in the garbage, but as a warning 4201 is basically malware and should be avoided. It will destroy your board.
17 REPLIES 17

SubiXT
Level 8
Zorn_ wrote:
I flashed the 4201 BIOS that was released in beta today, and it completely destroyed my Dark Hero board. Will just not boot Windows, only gets stuck at a F3 Qcode error. I have tried everything, including flashing back to earlier versions, and no matter what my board is just stuck forever at the F3 code. No idea what further I can do besides throw the board in the garbage, but as a warning 4201 is basically malware and should be avoided. It will destroy your board.

I had the same issue and I had to reinstall windows again. I am using 4201 but for some reason, it locks the OS.

jeordiewhite
Level 7
F3 Recovery image is found is what the bios states for the code F3 in the manual.

Couple of questions, did you have TPM and encrypted drives? Bios tends to get wiped during an update and lose important information and unless you can enter your recovery keys in, your installation would be lost and require a reinstall.
Did you take the time to set your bios with all the settings you know or change during a setup after a bios update? Even try locating the eufi booting option and making sure its booting into windows
Did you try the button on the back of your motherboard labeled bios or clear cmos?
From the above post it sounds like you may need to try to recover windows or reinstall.

I believe your motherboard has a 3 year warranty. Which means if for some reason it doesn't boot, you can send it in to asus for a repair or replacement. All is not lost.
However likely the case is this can be resolved by reinstalling windows or if you can, boot with a windows disk or flash drive and see if you can do a recovery first.

Aysberg
Level 10
I guess Bios 4201 destroyed your Windows install is a bit more fitting. Did you use BitLocker?

I have no problems with 4201, but I have a discrete TPM module running, so there could be some issues using fTPM I am not aware of. I used flashback and restored all values by hand.

Have you been able to bring your OS back? Can you enter the BIOS, guess not?

Aysberg wrote:
I guess Bios 4201 destroyed your Windows install is a bit more fitting. Did you use BitLocker?

I have no problems with 4201, but I have a discrete TPM module running, so there could be some issues using fTPM I am not aware of. I used flashback and restored all values by hand.

Have you been able to bring your OS back? Can you enter the BIOS, guess not?

I also have a discreet TPM module. I received a 64 q-code. I do not use BitLocker or any virtualized security. I was able to move forward by doing a reinstall. Never had this issue before.

Have the Crosshair VIII Formula and no issues here with beta bios 4201.

This thread here may help... Dont know system specs etc., but maybe...

Soluzar74

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/qdpcrc/mobobios_error_x570_e_gaming_q_code_f3/

ManMountain
Level 9
No issues updating to 4201 beta.

andersondiaz
Level 8
Zorn_ wrote:

I thing you erase the key ftPm. for default the bios come on Erase, you need disable it, before reboot.
Check the Ftpm and read!!!!
you need read! always.
solution reinstall windows
thats all

Megascrypt
Level 7
I will share my experience with my new Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and this awful 4201 BIos update.

I just switched from Intel to AMD and my new board came with I believe 3801 and it worked OK, but I just received the board so I couldn't tell how stable it was.
I updated to the latest 4201 and things seem OK, but this BIos is so flaky that is almost scary to touch any Bios settings.
I run my system at stock settings and the only thing I changed I have enabled D.O.C.P Standard which is (lintels XMP) and enabled ErP to S4 and S5 and things seem OK, but as soon as I try to play with some settings e.g. "Precision Boost Overdrive" and I want it to disable to see the difference, I started getting BSODs. I have reverted back to Auto, but nothing but BSOD's, even resetting bios to defaults wouldn't fix it, still BSOD's.
Something is definitely wrong with Bios 4201 and Asus should fix it. We aren't the only one, there is a lot of people that say the same thing about this Bios is mess.

Megascrypt wrote:
I will share my experience with my new Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and this awful 4201 BIos update.

I just switched from Intel to AMD and my new board came with I believe 3801 and it worked OK, but I just received the board so I couldn't tell how stable it was.
I updated to the latest 4201 and things seem OK, but this BIos is so flaky that is almost scary to touch any Bios settings.
I run my system at stock settings and the only thing I changed I have enabled D.O.C.P Standard which is (lintels XMP) and enabled ErP to S4 and S5 and things seem OK, but as soon as I try to play with some settings e.g. "Precision Boost Overdrive" and I want it to disable to see the difference, I started getting BSODs. I have reverted back to Auto, but nothing but BSOD's, even resetting bios to defaults wouldn't fix it, still BSOD's.
Something is definitely wrong with Bios 4201 and Asus should fix it. We aren't the only one, there is a lot of people that say the same thing about this Bios is mess.

You mentioned you had already updated it before testing so it's possible there are other instabilities that went undiscovered? Have you since disabled DOCP and ensured the memory is running at base speeds? I have found that XMP/DOCP doesn't work with all kits and sometimes you have to start at 2666 and work your way up to find the max speed for that kit on your specific system.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…