cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 3004 Issues (CH6 CH7)

Gothmoth
Level 8
so i updated both my CH6 and CH7 with the latest bios agesa 1.0.0.4B.

i don´t overclock i just set the voltage in the bios to manual and 1.33v.
that was prime stable and with the old bios i had clocks around 4200-4300 mhz on both systems (3700x) under full load.
i do 3D rendering and the system was rock stable for hours and reached around 69 degree celsius.

now with the new bios 1004b both system will not clock higher than 3600mhz under full load (if the cores even reach 3600mhz).
my cinebench 20 score dropped to 38xx+ points. temps under full load are at 62 degree celsius.

i noticed that for a second after starting cinebench20 all cores go to 4300mhz and then they drop to below 3600mhz and stay there.

before and after:

as i said i do not change much in the bios from the default settings.
i disable RGB lights, enable SMV, set ram to DOCP standard and set the CPU voltage to 1.33v.

i tried all available power plans.

i loaded the default settings in the bios a few times.

what is happening here?

3 REPLIES 3

Gothmoth
Level 8
ok maybe i am to blame here..... but does the AUTO setting in the PRECISION BOOST OVERDRIVE settings does not activate PBO?

when i set the PBO setting from AUTO to ENABLE the clocks go at least to 4100mhz. still not as good as before but better than 3200-3600mhz.

i can´t remember changing the PBO settings. i could swear i always had them on AUTO with former BIOS versions.

so why is PBO on AUTO not activating PBO?

BigJohnny
Level 13
As a rule I always take control of things like clock speed or at least have them at adaptive. All elese fails, roll back. I always keep every BIOS ever released for any product I own in a folder on my NAS, a good bit of them are no longer up on the ASUS website. As a rule of thumb I do download the new ROMS but dont update just because there is new one because their update logs for lack of a better analogy.......SUCK! This has been a complaint for a very long time from a very large audience including insiders. Improves Stability doesnt cut it. But long story short on that one my main rig is several versions old. Why? Because it works with zero issues. With ASUS new BIOS ROMS will often fix one thing while totally botching another. They make some great hardware but the two guys in the dungeon who work on all BIOS for all products and all software needs a new espresso machine and should be given 2 hours of sleep every 10 days. Yeah that sounds stupid but when one looks at the software which I avoid unless I have to use it paired with botched BIOS ROMS it just cant be any other way unless they recruit help from special needs schools at the pre K level. BIOS ROMS are probably the least susceptible to screw ups but things like AI Suite and GPU tweak are horrendous.

privately i am an exclusive asus user since before the T2 series of mainboards.
in the 90s i did not care much about which mainboard was in my PC.

i fix basically all systems in my family (from parents to uncles to nieces).
so i come across all kind of mobo brands.

but imho in the last years the ASUS BIOS quality has suffered a lot.

ok from 2011 to 2017 i was using basically the same intel mainboards for my 2600K systems.
so maybe this is going on for some time and i just did not notice it.

but for me the BIOS was always a reason to buy ASUS.

this is not the case any longer.
now the BIOS experience is nearing MSI levels of frustration.

i dont like to reflash the old bios as i work on my systems and dont have the time.
but i would like to know what is the behavior on a CH7 when PBO is set to AUTO?
how does it behave... does it only clocks to 3600mhz ( or base clock of the CPU) under all core full load or does it clock higher on your system?