cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of agesa 1.0.0.4B bios not good!

Snuggie
Level 8
BIOSes with AGESA 1.0.0.4B caution
Users are reporting that after updating the BIOS to a newer version that has AGESA 1.0.0.4B, the system won’t boot if you have the Xonar card plugged in the motherboard. This happens with other PCI-e cards as well (#1, #2). Most motherboards brands seem to be affected (BIOSTAR #1, Gigabyte #1+, #2, ASUS #1, #2, #3, #4, ASRock #1). If you have an MSI board, it might be fine to update to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (#1, #2). If you don’t want to go to the hassles of updating the BIOS again to the previous version, you should hold off the update. Also, for some motherboards it is not possible to go back to the previous BIOS (ASUS #1, #2).
If you’ve updated the BIOS and the system no longer boots, you could try this: remove the sound card, start the PC and enter the BIOS, look for a setting a called “Initial Display Output” or similar, set it to the PCIe slot in which the main video card is plugged in, save settings and shut down the PC, reinsert the sound card and see if system boots. If it does not, remove the sound card again and revert back to the previous BIOS.
If you run into these issues you could contact your motherboard support letting them know of the issue.

It is a Sound Blaster AE-9 and not a Xonar but maybe still useful information.
ASUS X570 ROG STRIX E-GAMING – 1404 (AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B).
With my AE-9 my system will boot, but it takes ~5minutes. After reaching Windows the system is not usable for ~3 – 5 minutes. (CPU usage 100%). After that everything “works”, but the Sound Blaster AE-9 is not recognized.
During boot I cannot enter BIOS. The Sound Blaster logo is lit for around 5 seconds, then the light goes off. My mainboard hangs at status code 92 for a while (PCIe BUS initialization).
I received my ae-9 yesterday, so I had no opportunity to test prior 1.0.0.4. I tried several things (i.e. GEN1 for my PCIe slots).
the AE-9 works just fine on my old ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.
35 REPLIES 35

AtraMors
Level 7
Almost same problem but with Prime X470 Bios 5220 (Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABBA) and BlasterX AE-5 - system boot with double start (pressed power button - system starts - turned off after 2-3 sec. - then auto-starts - and boot normally). I noticed that if set the audio card in PCI-E(2) (which with x8 speed) and set in the bios: Advanced - Onboard deviced configuration - PCIEX16_2 Bandwidth: PCIe RAID Mode - the system starts normally always but GPU works in PCI-E x8 and it's not good.

Very interesting OP, I take it you have ticket raised with ASUS. Any word on the status of a fix ?

Ryzen3000
Level 7
Snuggie wrote:
BIOSes with AGESA 1.0.0.4B caution
Users are reporting that after updating the BIOS to a newer version that has AGESA 1.0.0.4B, the system won’t boot if you have the Xonar card plugged in the motherboard. This happens with other PCI-e cards as well (#1, #2). Most motherboards brands seem to be affected (BIOSTAR #1, Gigabyte #1+, #2, ASUS #1, #2, #3, #4, ASRock #1). If you have an MSI board, it might be fine to update to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (#1, #2). If you don’t want to go to the hassles of updating the BIOS again to the previous version, you should hold off the update. Also, for some motherboards it is not possible to go back to the previous BIOS (ASUS #1, #2).
If you’ve updated the BIOS and the system no longer boots, you could try this: remove the sound card, start the PC and enter the BIOS, look for a setting a called “Initial Display Output” or similar, set it to the PCIe slot in which the main video card is plugged in, save settings and shut down the PC, reinsert the sound card and see if system boots. If it does not, remove the sound card again and revert back to the previous BIOS.
If you run into these issues you could contact your motherboard support letting them know of the issue.

It is a Sound Blaster AE-9 and not a Xonar but maybe still useful information.
ASUS X570 ROG STRIX E-GAMING – 1404 (AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B).
With my AE-9 my system will boot, but it takes ~5minutes. After reaching Windows the system is not usable for ~3 – 5 minutes. (CPU usage 100%). After that everything “works”, but the Sound Blaster AE-9 is not recognized.
During boot I cannot enter BIOS. The Sound Blaster logo is lit for around 5 seconds, then the light goes off. My mainboard hangs at status code 92 for a while (PCIe BUS initialization).
I received my ae-9 yesterday, so I had no opportunity to test prior 1.0.0.4. I tried several things (i.e. GEN1 for my PCIe slots).
the AE-9 works just fine on my old ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.

I can't find this option in my Asus TUF x570, any help? Thanks.

Lancer_VI
Level 7
I can confirm this problem on a ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi) with an AE-9. System would boot eventually (about 5 to 10 minutes) but even when booted, it would stutter and freeze every 30 seconds. Also Windows 10 took about 10 minutes to fully load up everything (tasktray items).

Removed my Sound Blaster AE-9 and the problem disappears. BIOS flashback to previous BIOS also fixes issue.

I'm going to sit on the older bios until some update/guidance is given.

After 3 minutes of reCAPTCHA screening - TWICE!!, I almost forgot what I wanted to say. . . Oh yes, I'm pleased I didn't update my board to the latest BIOS listed after reading tthe recent posts here. I hope the situation is soon sorted. My system is quite stable at present.

Lancer VI wrote:
I can confirm this problem on a ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi) with an AE-9. System would boot eventually (about 5 to 10 minutes) but even when booted, it would stutter and freeze every 30 seconds. Also Windows 10 took about 10 minutes to fully load up everything (tasktray items).

Removed my Sound Blaster AE-9 and the problem disappears. BIOS flashback to previous BIOS also fixes issue.

I'm going to sit on the older bios until some update/guidance is given.

holy crap, this same thing is happening to me on my Crosshair VIII Formula and I don’t have a sound blaster card. Only card I have installed that isn’t my 2080 Ti is a Datapath E1S capture card. Didn’t think a BIOS update could’ve possibly been at fault. Also for some reason my ASUS services for Armoury Crate won’t start up automatically, I have to go in and start them every time I boot. We need a new update to fix this and fast.

New BIOS Version 1201 not full official released, and I don't have a changelog of it...

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/ultimative-am4-uefi-bios-agesa-ubersicht-03-12-19-a-122890...

But I can say, that the system is now booting normal and the Creative SoundBlaster AE-7 works perfect!

Wohoooo!! 😄

No problems with my Creative SB XFi-Titanium so I guess I'll keep my eye out for any other issues that may crop up but so far so good on BIOS 5406 Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4

Hello all,

I had to wait a few days before I could post a response, due to the ROG forum's anti-spam measures.
Now that it's all sorted, Creative Labs put out a notice on Reddit that they found 10-bit tag support was introduced and/or enabled by default in the AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS releases for multiple vendors, which as you know caused just about all PCIe sound cards to stop working (and cause other problems with booting/PCIe bus use).

With the sound card out of the system, boot into your BIOS, navigate to Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options, then set PCIe Ten Bit Tag Support to Disabled. PCIe slots can be set back to Auto or Gen4, it's fine.

Here's a screenshot from my BIOS screen:

Save, reboot and/or shut off the system, install your sound card, and boot back into Windows. Shouldn't experience a boot delay or other problems like before. Enjoy!

So far so good on my end, after a couple of days. Not even channel swapping. So far. We'll see about that one.