cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of agesa 1.0.0.4B bios not good!

Snuggie
Level 8
BIOSes with AGESA 1.0.0.4B caution
Users are reporting that after updating the BIOS to a newer version that has AGESA 1.0.0.4B, the system won’t boot if you have the Xonar card plugged in the motherboard. This happens with other PCI-e cards as well (#1, #2). Most motherboards brands seem to be affected (BIOSTAR #1, Gigabyte #1+, #2, ASUS #1, #2, #3, #4, ASRock #1). If you have an MSI board, it might be fine to update to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (#1, #2). If you don’t want to go to the hassles of updating the BIOS again to the previous version, you should hold off the update. Also, for some motherboards it is not possible to go back to the previous BIOS (ASUS #1, #2).
If you’ve updated the BIOS and the system no longer boots, you could try this: remove the sound card, start the PC and enter the BIOS, look for a setting a called “Initial Display Output” or similar, set it to the PCIe slot in which the main video card is plugged in, save settings and shut down the PC, reinsert the sound card and see if system boots. If it does not, remove the sound card again and revert back to the previous BIOS.
If you run into these issues you could contact your motherboard support letting them know of the issue.

It is a Sound Blaster AE-9 and not a Xonar but maybe still useful information.
ASUS X570 ROG STRIX E-GAMING – 1404 (AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B).
With my AE-9 my system will boot, but it takes ~5minutes. After reaching Windows the system is not usable for ~3 – 5 minutes. (CPU usage 100%). After that everything “works”, but the Sound Blaster AE-9 is not recognized.
During boot I cannot enter BIOS. The Sound Blaster logo is lit for around 5 seconds, then the light goes off. My mainboard hangs at status code 92 for a while (PCIe BUS initialization).
I received my ae-9 yesterday, so I had no opportunity to test prior 1.0.0.4. I tried several things (i.e. GEN1 for my PCIe slots).
the AE-9 works just fine on my old ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.
35 REPLIES 35

** I just removed the card and tried with on board realtek audio.. I have crackling and popping sound in game.. Everything was working perfect before 5406 bios!(1.004b)! But how can problem still exist after I roll back my bios ? ? Only Asus and Amd knows...

xartemporas wrote:
Hello. I have Asus x470 gaming-f, Ryzen 5 3600 and Windows 10 x64 1903. After installing 5406 bios(1.0.0.4b) I have sound problems with my creative sound blaster z card. 5.1 surround sound randomly reassigns from speaker to speaker whenever I run any application or game. I also have cracking and poping sound. I rolled back to 5220 bios(1.0.0.3abb) but problem still exist!(I had NEVER problems before with 5220 bios). I also tried to fix it by uninstall / reinstall audio drivers(I tried 2014, 2017 and 2019 drivers from creative), uninstall/ reinstall motherboard chipset drivers, installed 1909 windows update, reinstall 1903.. Nothing fixed the problem. Please help.
Did you ever manage to solve this with the final version of the BIOS update or are you staying on the older BIOS for now? I have the same sound card and the X370 version of the Strix Gaming-F and I've been contemplating whether it is worth trying the AGESA 1.0.0.4B BIOS update or whether that's still likely to have issues with expansion cards.

xeizo
Level 12
The PCIE errors was with other vendors as well, I got an update correcting the issue for my Gigabyte board today(the THIRD 1004B-bios from Gigabyte - F50N). Sadly, my C7H still sits at ABBA-bios ...
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

SumTingWong
Level 7
So soundcard is the only issue with this 1.0.0.4b bios?

SumTingWong wrote:
So soundcard is the only issue with this 1.0.0.4b bios?

Only I know of, both my 2700X(Aorus M) and my 3700X(Prime Pro) works excellent with 1004B. I just wish my 3900X on C7H would get it as well.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

No issues so far with the 1405 BIOS, using X570 TUF

Mister_Advance
Level 7
Seems that MSI has made that tweak for multiple motherboards.
So im positive next release will have a fix for it, just have to wait 🙂

Grid21
Level 7
Snuggie wrote:
BIOSes with AGESA 1.0.0.4B caution
Users are reporting that after updating the BIOS to a newer version that has AGESA 1.0.0.4B, the system won’t boot if you have the Xonar card plugged in the motherboard. This happens with other PCI-e cards as well (#1, #2). Most motherboards brands seem to be affected (BIOSTAR #1, Gigabyte #1+, #2, ASUS #1, #2, #3, #4, ASRock #1). If you have an MSI board, it might be fine to update to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (#1, #2). If you don’t want to go to the hassles of updating the BIOS again to the previous version, you should hold off the update. Also, for some motherboards it is not possible to go back to the previous BIOS (ASUS #1, #2).
If you’ve updated the BIOS and the system no longer boots, you could try this: remove the sound card, start the PC and enter the BIOS, look for a setting a called “Initial Display Output” or similar, set it to the PCIe slot in which the main video card is plugged in, save settings and shut down the PC, reinsert the sound card and see if system boots. If it does not, remove the sound card again and revert back to the previous BIOS.
If you run into these issues you could contact your motherboard support letting them know of the issue.

It is a Sound Blaster AE-9 and not a Xonar but maybe still useful information.
ASUS X570 ROG STRIX E-GAMING – 1404 (AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B).
With my AE-9 my system will boot, but it takes ~5minutes. After reaching Windows the system is not usable for ~3 – 5 minutes. (CPU usage 100%). After that everything “works”, but the Sound Blaster AE-9 is not recognized.
During boot I cannot enter BIOS. The Sound Blaster logo is lit for around 5 seconds, then the light goes off. My mainboard hangs at status code 92 for a while (PCIe BUS initialization).
I received my ae-9 yesterday, so I had no opportunity to test prior 1.0.0.4. I tried several things (i.e. GEN1 for my PCIe slots).
the AE-9 works just fine on my old ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.

I don't have this sound card, but I had issues with bios 5406 where it would get stuck on the White Post LED after enabling DOCP with my ram. It gets stuck and it fix it you have to shut the PC down, but even then it may not boot into windows and also causes windows 10 to have a "Thread Exception Mishandled" error. This is with a Ryzen 7 2700 and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance CL16 ram after DOCP is enabled.

SumTingWong
Level 7
Can anyone tell me is X470F BIOS 5406 AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B safe to update? I don't have soundcard.

SumTingWong wrote:
Can anyone tell me is X470F BIOS 5406 AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B safe to update? I don't have soundcard.

Then your OK to go.