cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of agesa 1.0.0.4B bios not good!

Snuggie
Level 8
BIOSes with AGESA 1.0.0.4B caution
Users are reporting that after updating the BIOS to a newer version that has AGESA 1.0.0.4B, the system won’t boot if you have the Xonar card plugged in the motherboard. This happens with other PCI-e cards as well (#1, #2). Most motherboards brands seem to be affected (BIOSTAR #1, Gigabyte #1+, #2, ASUS #1, #2, #3, #4, ASRock #1). If you have an MSI board, it might be fine to update to a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (#1, #2). If you don’t want to go to the hassles of updating the BIOS again to the previous version, you should hold off the update. Also, for some motherboards it is not possible to go back to the previous BIOS (ASUS #1, #2).
If you’ve updated the BIOS and the system no longer boots, you could try this: remove the sound card, start the PC and enter the BIOS, look for a setting a called “Initial Display Output” or similar, set it to the PCIe slot in which the main video card is plugged in, save settings and shut down the PC, reinsert the sound card and see if system boots. If it does not, remove the sound card again and revert back to the previous BIOS.
If you run into these issues you could contact your motherboard support letting them know of the issue.

It is a Sound Blaster AE-9 and not a Xonar but maybe still useful information.
ASUS X570 ROG STRIX E-GAMING – 1404 (AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B).
With my AE-9 my system will boot, but it takes ~5minutes. After reaching Windows the system is not usable for ~3 – 5 minutes. (CPU usage 100%). After that everything “works”, but the Sound Blaster AE-9 is not recognized.
During boot I cannot enter BIOS. The Sound Blaster logo is lit for around 5 seconds, then the light goes off. My mainboard hangs at status code 92 for a while (PCIe BUS initialization).
I received my ae-9 yesterday, so I had no opportunity to test prior 1.0.0.4. I tried several things (i.e. GEN1 for my PCIe slots).
the AE-9 works just fine on my old ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING.
35 REPLIES 35

kachunkachunk wrote:

With the sound card out of the system, boot into your BIOS, navigate to Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options, then set PCIe Ten Bit Tag Support to Disabled. PCIe slots can be set back to Auto or Gen4, it's fine.

This worked for me with a BlackGold TV Tuner card, now working again, thank you 😉

kachunkachunk wrote:
Hello all,

I had to wait a few days before I could post a response, due to the ROG forum's anti-spam measures.
Now that it's all sorted, Creative Labs put out a notice on Reddit that they found 10-bit tag support was introduced and/or enabled by default in the AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS releases for multiple vendors, which as you know caused just about all PCIe sound cards to stop working (and cause other problems with booting/PCIe bus use).

With the sound card out of the system, boot into your BIOS, navigate to Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options, then set PCIe Ten Bit Tag Support to Disabled. PCIe slots can be set back to Auto or Gen4, it's fine.

Here's a screenshot from my BIOS screen:

Save, reboot and/or shut off the system, install your sound card, and boot back into Windows. Shouldn't experience a boot delay or other problems like before. Enjoy!

So far so good on my end, after a couple of days. Not even channel swapping. So far. We'll see about that one.

Thanks for the tip!!!, reflashed the 1004 bios for my X470-PRIME PRO but dont have the option (have looked every where in the bios and preformed an search) 😞
Immediatly reflashed back to 1003 ABBA 😞

Oh, bummer! Is that for a Crosshair VII BIOS? It certainly looks different.

Creative reportedly reached out to AMD about this, so we might either see 10-bit tag support disabled by default in subsequent BIOS releases, or perhaps further tweaks that make 10-bit tag support not break support for various non-GPU PCIe cards. I hope Asus does something soon - it was bad enough waiting for a workaround and I'm seeing they are historically a bit slow with BIOS updates.

kachunkachunk wrote:
Hello all,

I had to wait a few days before I could post a response, due to the ROG forum's anti-spam measures.
Now that it's all sorted, Creative Labs put out a notice on Reddit that they found 10-bit tag support was introduced and/or enabled by default in the AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS releases for multiple vendors, which as you know caused just about all PCIe sound cards to stop working (and cause other problems with booting/PCIe bus use).

Here's a screenshot from my BIOS screen:

Save, reboot and/or shut off the system, install your sound card, and boot back into Windows. Shouldn't experience a boot delay or other problems like before. Enjoy!

So far so good on my end, after a couple of days. Not even channel swapping. So far. We'll see about that one.

Hi,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! it worked with my Asus Strix-E X570, from bios 1201 to 1405.
I had walked around the whole world web and a lot of people are scratching their head, you seem to be the only one to have the solution at this issue !

I wasn't able to boot with 1405 (AGESA 1.0.0.4B), the PC was booting in loops with black screen, so i rolled back to 1201 (1.0.0.3ABBA).

I unplugged my firewire PCIe card, update to 1405, fix PCIe ten bit tag support to disable and replug the card : it works !
This option wasn't in 1201 bios. This is indeed a new feature of 1405 bios (AGESA 1.0.0.4B)

Happy new year and cheers from France 😉

Mister_Advance
Level 7
Hello,

Just updated to the new bios version:

Version 5406 2019/11/2514.65 MBytes
PRIME X470-PRO BIOS 5406
Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B

And got in a lot off trouble, storage devices reacted slow, LAN adapter didnt work, and my Creative AE-5 didnt work!
When i looked in Device manager i noticed an error in my ASMedia device and varios other USB controller error's.
Also loading of my Ryzen Master didnt work!
Finally cleared the CMOS and reflashed the previous bios again (phew!).

When i google around, i found more people experiencing these problems with other mainboard brands and the 1.0.0.4 patch B update.

Sys specs:
AMD 2700X
Prime X470-PRO
2x8gb
2x16gb
Creative AE-5
Samsung evo 960

Confirmation!

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Creative SoundBlaster AE-7

For completeness only:
MSI RTX 2080 Ti
2 x 8 GB g.skill TridentZ RGB PC3200 CL14
be quiet Dark Power Pro 11 - 1200W

Yesterday a 3950X with a Crosshair VIII Formula put into operation, directly installed AEGSA 1.0.0.4 B (BIOS 1105) and since then no longer come into Windows or the system takes 5+ minutes to boot and, of course, the entire system is useless.

The sound card used is a Creative SoundBlaster AE-7 and does not work in any PCI Express slot, as soon as it is plugged in wherever, nothing works here anymore, or the system is blocked.

I hope the problem can be solved quickly, the error is also very easy to reproduce in the sense.

YabaX
Level 8
i see a new bios 1405

has anyone with problems tried it?

I haven't found 1405 for the Formula, did you found it anywhere?

YabaX wrote:
i see a new bios 1405

has anyone with problems tried it?

I just got 1201 and I'm having issues with the board not resetting when I hit the reset switch and it doesn't always restart when I tell it to in windows. Where can I find this new bios?
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Hello. I have Asus x470 gaming-f, Ryzen 5 3600 and Windows 10 x64 1903. After installing 5406 bios(1.0.0.4b) I have sound problems with my creative sound blaster z card. 5.1 surround sound randomly reassigns from speaker to speaker whenever I run any application or game. I also have cracking and poping sound. I rolled back to 5220 bios(1.0.0.3abb) but problem still exist!(I had NEVER problems before with 5220 bios). I also tried to fix it by uninstall / reinstall audio drivers(I tried 2014, 2017 and 2019 drivers from creative), uninstall/ reinstall motherboard chipset drivers, installed 1909 windows update, reinstall 1903.. Nothing fixed the problem. Please help.