cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B550-I Gaming Crash with 4080 in Gen4 mode

JamesK1
Level 8
So I wanted to post this for the Asus mobo engineers.

I've had my ROG Strix B550-I Gaming motherboard for almost a year and it's been great with a 1070 Ti card. I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC 16GB card and have had regular crashes. After much troubleshooting with help from Nvidia forum gurus, it finally came down to the PCIe slot being set to Gen4 in the BIOS. After switching to Gen3, everything has been working great for the past couple days with every app that usually ended up crashing before. So if someone could look into a BIOS update to make Gen4 stable with the 4080 (which possibly is happening with other 4000 series cards), that would be very much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12

paih85
Level 8
JamesK1 wrote:

I've had my ROG Strix B550-I Gaming motherboard for almost a year and it's been great with a 1070 Ti card. I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC 16GB card and have had regular crashes. After much troubleshooting with help from Nvidia forum gurus, it finally came down to the PCIe slot being set to Gen4 in the BIOS. After switching to Gen3, everything has been working great for the past couple days with every app that usually ended up crashing before. So if someone could look into a BIOS update to make Gen4 stable with the 4080 (which possibly is happening with other 4000 series cards), that would be very much appreciated.

are you using riser? if yes try directly gpu to pcie slot.

No. No riser.

Also, today (still on GEN3), I've been experiencing a few crashes while working with Fusion 360. The first time was overnight where I was running a fairly heavy process on a model. Then today, I was just making some smaller modifications in Fusion 360 and it has crashed several times.. I'm slowing working my way through the changes by saving often but it's pretty annoying. I was also running HWINFO logging during this last crash. This is the link to the log file. I couldn't attach it here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11rg3gEYnNdgD_J5GFtzitU7Si1ul2XaA?usp=share_link

teddy3501
Level 7
JamesK1 wrote:

Hi. Until Asus releases a Bios update for RTX 4000 series compatibility, there is a work around that seems to help. It involves setting power management in Nvidia control panel to "max performance". This will increase the power consumption during idle, but hopefully it will help stable out your PC.

See this reddit thread for details: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/10akhui/b550_i_strix_gaming_and_rtx_4080_fe_fails/

Good luck.