cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B450-F Gaming I (produced during Ryzen 2nd gen) and CPU upgrade

C0kePlayer
Level 7
Hello 🙂

I want to upgrade my PC and I was thinking about changing the CPU. I have Ryzen 2600 and I want to change It for maybe 3800x or even higher model. According to what most people say and what is written on support (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu) the motherboard should support the CPU's if I will have updated BIOS, however I also read that some had to update BIOS sequentially otherwise It was not working for them. The other fact is that my B-450 F Gaming was produced before 3rd gen of Ryzen and box didn't have the sticker "ready for 3rd gen". Is It possible for me to update BIOS and to get better CPU and If any of you know if It is worth doing that? Does the sticker mean that it already had updated BIOS? My GPU is asus 2060 and memories are G.Skill Flare X, DDR4, 32 GB, 3200MHz, CL14.
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
The hardware is the same whether it had the sticker or not. You would really only have an issue with 1st gen Ryzen losing support. I believe the 2600 should continue to work even with the latest BIOS but 1st gen may be removed. Still, you don't have to update the BIOS until you have the new CPU in hand. Then you can switch immediately after the update if you are worried.

As to whether you will benefit? I think you will see a noticeable improvement. I think 300 series boards (some of which are now getting updates) will be a gamble because the Zen platform was so new. 400 series are more refined so you should be good. The only thing would be whether there are any features on newer boards that you want. If not, enjoy the extended usability.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…