cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
5843. PBO Curve Optimizer is different for each processor, and although I was stable in stress tests, in games I started crashing. (Valheim oddly enough.) I have since went to -5 all core and have no more crashes. Tbh, for the few degrees difference it makes in temps it's probably not worth messing with much unless you really like to tweak settings for the best performance.

I installed the 5843 and the issue is gone! Thanks a lot, and yeah I think I'll be messing with it, but some time in the future hehe

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
there's a way to flash BIOS with dos & a USB to older versions

There is not anymore, starting from 5821 I believe.
Thank ASUS for locking BIOS, so you either need to try to somehow downgrade it to the last version that it was possible with - 5809, or to just forget about it.

Alex0915 wrote:
Thanks I will look into it, I hope it fits in my case! I have a Raidmax midtower, it should fit?

Find it out yourself, because it differs depending on the model: https://www.raidmax.com/product.php?lang=en&tb=1
Find your case and scroll down until you see "CPU Cooler support", "Maximum CPU cooler height" or just "Support" - you want to look for a CPU cooler maximum height in millimeters.

As for Noctua NH-D15: https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipse...
So if your RAM modules are up to 32 mm in height - the D15 will be just 165 mm tall, but if your RAM is higher than 32 mm - you will need to slide the first fan higher, so if your RAM is 40 mm tall - the first fan will be as high as at least 165 + (40 - 32) = 173 mm.
If it doesn't fit in your PC case - you may need to find a different CPU cooler then, let's say be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 which is 163 mm in height and is also a very capable cooler, may be even more than the D15 if we believe what we see here: https://youtu.be/yW1x101pDfE

Alex0915
Level 7
Thanks for the info, it's good to know that ASUS is finally on the ball with the latest BIOS for the 5000X series CPUs-- maybe I can now install my 5950X with confidence. I figured it would be okay with air cooling because the TDP of 105W is the same as my 2700X

Alex0915 wrote:
Thanks for the info, it's good to know that ASUS is finally on the ball with the latest BIOS for the 5000X series CPUs-- maybe I can now install my 5950X with confidence. I figured it would be okay with air cooling because the TDP of 105W is the same as my 2700X

It definitely takes a hefty cooler, you would probably need a D15.

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
It definitely takes a hefty cooler, you would probably need a D15.

Thanks, is that air cooling? What CPU would be the best one to use with, let's say, the Ryzen cooler? Since the 2700X and 5950X are both 105W TDP, shouldn't the same cooler work fine with both of them?

Alex0915 wrote:
Thanks, is that air cooling? What CPU would be the best one to use with, let's say, the Ryzen cooler? Since the 2700X and 5950X are both 105W TDP, shouldn't the same cooler work fine with both of them?

Unfortunately no, due to the density of cores on the 5950x. You're talking 8 cores versus 16. They don't run super hot but under a heavy load I'd even consider water cooling. Noctua NH-D15 is the biggest air cooler out right now and rivals 240mm AIOs.

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
Unfortunately no, due to the density of cores on the 5950x. You're talking 8 cores versus 16. They don't run super hot but under a heavy load I'd even consider water cooling. Noctua NH-D15 is the biggest air cooler out right now and rivals 240mm AIOs.

Thanks I will look into it, I hope it fits in my case! I have a Raidmax midtower, it should fit?

Davemaster84
Level 7
Hi everyone, recently I learned that this board supports pci4.0 and it actually does according to HW info, anyway I was wondering if the nvme(main) would benefit from a 4.0 nvme gen , because the ,manual says its 3.0 but the gpu is supported at 4.0

Thanks in advance

Davemaster84 wrote:
Hi everyone, recently I learned that this board supports pci4.0 and it actually does according to HW info, anyway I was wondering if the nvme(main) would benefit from a 4.0 nvme gen , because the ,manual says its 3.0 but the gpu is supported at 4.0

Thanks in advance

It doesn't have the circuitry for 4.0, it'll run but speed difference when you already have NVME is negligible IRL.

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
It doesn't have the circuitry for 4.0, it'll run but speed difference when you already have NVME is negligible IRL.

Thanks a lot, I'll aim for a 3.0 nvme instead.