cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

ArjenP
Level 7
I realize this is a pretty old thread now, but for those people interested, 6042 gives me a 100-125 MHz lower all core boost compared to 6024 on a 5800x3d in cinebench r23.

ArjenP wrote:
I realize this is a pretty old thread now, but for those people interested, 6042 gives me a 100-125 MHz lower all core boost compared to 6024 on a 5800x3d in cinebench r23.

Regarding the latest BIOS of this mobo, have you seen any issues in fan controling ( randomly start spinning all the way up or down ) or losing temperature readings if coming back from sleep ?
Nowadays, a 5800X3D is a value for money replacement for my 2700X (still running on 4804 BIOS which does not have the issues regarding the fans). So a BIOS update will be mandatory if I manage getting one.

Just read a comment on OCN that the new 1.2.0.8 for the CH7 allowed PBO/neg offset, but no CO adjustment on a 5800X3D. X470-F and PRO might follow soon, as for the X470-I it's out too.
Edit: 6061 Beta w/ 1.2.0.8 is out now (link).

ArjenP wrote:

I've read a few similar experiences on the X3D thread on OCN going from 1.2.0.6x to 1.2.0.7 on other boards (likely due to a bit extra voltage), but some settled on the latest .7s for the newly added bios options to negate it without external software to adjust PBO/CO. So,
- Does the 6024 1.2.0.7 allow to tweak either PBO (lower only)/CO/neg vcore voltage offset on a 5800X3D? Also, any difference to previous bios in that regard? I'll pop one on my board soonish, thanks.

D4rk_W0lf wrote:
Hello, i'm asking here because i'm getting frustated about it..

Ensure you have boot set to UEFI only, CSM disabled and reboot. Then if Firmware is selected on the lower menu, with some luck TPM will finally show available to enable on the upper Trusted Computing menu (might as well try to set it to discrete, save+reboot, then firmware, save+reboot). Try to remember if you've also changed any other seemingly unrelated bios setting just the before the issue started that could interfere on boot (as SAM, or try temporarily without fast boot in case it helps re-detecting fTPM).
If all fails, you can try going back to 5861 bios as it has an older SMU for Pinnacle Ridge (lacks fTPM stutter fix). If it comes back working, could be a bug on later versions vs Zen+.
Unfortunately I can't help you hands on. The 2600X I previously had in a X470-F under 5861/1.2.0.3c didn't seem to exhibit fTPM detection issues, but OTH, it was manually disabled under the Trusted Computing menu for W10. GL

Thanks, i tried those things but no luck.. even as far to reactivate my serial port again, so maybe it's true and it's somekind of a bug... We can't go back easily to an older bios don't we?

ArjenP
Level 7
The only fan I'm running of the motherboard is a 140mm exhaust fan running at 500-600 rpm which is very quiet. So the only thing I would have noticed is a sudden spin up to max rpm. That never happened to me however on any bios for this board (and I've used quite a few over the years).

Both the intake fans run of my AIOs water temp directly so those are separated from the motherboard.

ArjenP wrote:
The only fan I'm running of the motherboard is a 140mm exhaust fan running at 500-600 rpm which is very quiet. So the only thing I would have noticed is a sudden spin up to max rpm. That never happened to me however on any bios for this board (and I've used quite a few over the years).

Both the intake fans run of my AIOs water temp directly so those are separated from the motherboard.

So, judging from your feedback, the Asus WMI issue is still present even with the latest BIOS.
That's a shame. This is like 3-4 years now. Only BIOS v4804 was having no issues with fans control for me.
ArjenP, is the 140mm exhaust fan a Noctua one ?

Alex0915
Level 7
Also will the asus rtx 3060 v2 TUF gaming card work with this motherboard? It is pcie 4.0 and has 12 GB of VRAM.

Alex0915
Level 7
Might have to stick with the Corsair 4x16GB DDR-2667 memory as that is actually rated to work with this motherboard, there is no 2x32GB anything listed anywhere in the data sheets so that may not work. What I don't understand is what is 8x16GB (that is a total of 128 GB), but spread out across 8 slots? There are no 8 slots on this board!

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x470-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl/

Alex0915
Level 7
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-cooling-requirements-thermal-throttling/

Based on reading this, air cooling should be able to be used with all these processors, since it can even be used with the 7950X. This makes me want to get a new motherboard just to use this magnificent processor lol. I take it our motherboards aren't compatible with it?

Alex0915 wrote:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-cooling-requirements-thermal-throttling/

Based on reading this, air cooling should be able to be used with all these processors, since it can even be used with the 7950X. This makes me want to get a new motherboard just to use this magnificent processor lol. I take it our motherboards aren't compatible with it?

No, different socket, etc. From what I've read our Mobo is going to top out at the 5950X. (there was a 5800x3D with more cache, but from what I read the 5950x performed better overall?) And I've already missed the sale on the 5900x when they were half priced... Chit! And yes I see air coolers for the 5950x.

If it helps the 7950x is not a "huge" difference from the 5950x. But the 5950x IS a "HUGE" difference from the 2700x we got now...

Yea those RAM compatibility lists are causing me headaches... Why does it list 8x16gb when we only have 4 slots? And then you try and find the same RAM to BUY, but the part number will be slightly different...? So that defeats the point of using the compatibility list? I've never been that picky buying RAM. I used to just buy the same DDR/Pin and be done...? But I've never spent 3-400 bucks on RAM either... The $180-190 64GB sets seem to all be slower RAM? (Crucials compatibility tool lists some faster RAM, but none of it's in stock that I saw?)

Question for anyone who knows.
RAM that's listed as compatible for the 5950X 3rd gen processors, is that not going to be compatible with the 2nd gen 2700x? OR is it just not going to work "as well" as it does with the 3rd gen processor? (and it looks like the RAM I was looking at is now out of stock anyway... Chit!)

Maybe I'll just buy RAM listed for the 5950X and let it sit till I get the processor and then put them both in.

Also, can we upgrade to the latest BIOS with the 2700x? Cause I could at least start that process and try and get ready for when I have new hardware. If I can ever find it in stock again...

Also, I wanted to thank the MOD that did the magic to let me start posting... Thanks!