cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

sstiingya wrote:

Question for anyone who knows.
RAM that's listed as compatible for the 5950X 3rd gen processors, is that not going to be compatible with the 2nd gen 2700x? OR is it just not going to work "as well" as it does with the 3rd gen processor? (and it looks like the RAM I was looking at is now out of stock anyway... Chit!)

Maybe I'll just buy RAM listed for the 5950X and let it sit till I get the processor and then put them both in.

Also, can we upgrade to the latest BIOS with the 2700x? Cause I could at least start that process and try and get ready for when I have new hardware. If I can ever find it in stock again...

Using the same RAM modules (w/ specific timings) on both CPUs with 100% success it is just like a lottery win. It might work it might not.

Regarding the BIOS update, I do have another similar question; Is downgrading from the latest version 6042 to 4804 possible ? Or there is a "lock" ? Has anyone tried this scenario successfully ?

Hello, i'm asking here because i'm getting frustated about it.. I have installed win11 with the firmware TPM activated without problems.. about a month ago Win11 said that i don't have TPM and i was surprired, i looked into the bios and checked that i had firmware tpm and the i gone into the trusted computing and.. No security device, no matter i changed these options or even flashed the last bios again.. Nothing, even cleaning the CMOS, ¿Any advice?

Bios version: 6042
CPU: 2700x

sstiingya wrote:
No, different socket, etc. From what I've read our Mobo is going to top out at the 5950X. (there was a 5800x3D with more cache, but from what I read the 5950x performed better overall?) And I've already missed the sale on the 5900x when they were half priced... Chit! And yes I see air coolers for the 5950x.

If it helps the 7950x is not a "huge" difference from the 5950x. But the 5950x IS a "HUGE" difference from the 2700x we got now...

Yea those RAM compatibility lists are causing me headaches... Why does it list 8x16gb when we only have 4 slots? And then you try and find the same RAM to BUY, but the part number will be slightly different...? So that defeats the point of using the compatibility list? I've never been that picky buying RAM. I used to just buy the same DDR/Pin and be done...? But I've never spent 3-400 bucks on RAM either... The $180-190 64GB sets seem to all be slower RAM? (Crucials compatibility tool lists some faster RAM, but none of it's in stock that I saw?)

Question for anyone who knows.
RAM that's listed as compatible for the 5950X 3rd gen processors, is that not going to be compatible with the 2nd gen 2700x? OR is it just not going to work "as well" as it does with the 3rd gen processor? (and it looks like the RAM I was looking at is now out of stock anyway... Chit!)

Maybe I'll just buy RAM listed for the 5950X and let it sit till I get the processor and then put them both in.

Also, can we upgrade to the latest BIOS with the 2700x? Cause I could at least start that process and try and get ready for when I have new hardware. If I can ever find it in stock again...

Also, I wanted to thank the MOD that did the magic to let me start posting... Thanks!

I want to thank them too! This forum had lots of site errors for a long time after my last post at the end of November until now; it's fixed, so happy about that!

So all the 64 GB RAM is slower? Crucial, Corsair, etc.? It sounds like we should just stick with 32 GB RAM then? I'm not sure anyone uses this board with 64 GB RAM anyway and has anyone ever tried 128 GB RAM to see if it even works? Maybe 8x16 GB actually means dual sided RAM and so they are counting each stick of RAM twice?

I take it 5950X is the best CPU we can get for this board, does anyone use it on this board and on air cooling? Since the 7950x can be run on air cooling the same should be possible with the 7950x?

Also, what is the best video card that one should use with this board? I'm thinking of upgrading everything at the same time so might as well do that too. I still have my Geforce 1060 6 GB card. I also have an 850W Thermaltake PSU if that helps. I'm hoping not to have to upgrade that lol. I take it all my new stuff should work with that PSU? Thanks!

AlleyViper
Level 9
As a last resort, maybe even try to re-seat CPU in case of a bad pin contact?
The lack of Flashback on this mb is surely a pain. Given that all these latest bios are ComboAM4v2, it might still be possible to revert safely if the bios menu doesn't complain, but better wait on someone with more knowledge to give you a hint on that.

2023/02/09
15.11 MBytes
ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING BIOS 6061
Beta BIOS

• Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1208
  • Mitigate the AMD potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon processors and Ryzen processors

Download

eXeToR wrote:
2023/02/09
15.11 MBytes
ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING BIOS 6061
Beta BIOS

• Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1208
  • Mitigate the AMD potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon processors and Ryzen processors

Download

Should this be downloaded on a 2700x?

Alex0915 wrote:
Should this be downloaded on a 2700x?

I was on the previous BIOS (6042) with a 2700X, now I own a 5950X. It should work, I would wait until they change it to stable. It shouldn't take that long, if I were to guess it will happen this or next week.

eXeToR wrote:
I was on the previous BIOS (6042) with a 2700X, now I own a 5950X. It should work, I would wait until they change it to stable. It shouldn't take that long, if I were to guess it will happen this or next week.

Excellent, I plan on upgrading too, was it easy and are you on aircooling? How much and what kind of memory do you have? How much of a difference do you see and is a Thermaltake 850W PSU enough? I also plan on upgrading my video card from the 1060 to 3060.

Alex0915 wrote:
Excellent, I plan on upgrading too, was it easy and are you on aircooling? How much and what kind of memory do you have? How much of a difference do you see and is a Thermaltake 850W PSU enough? I also plan on upgrading my video card from the 1060 to 3060.

Update the BIOS and swap out the CPU, if you want to air cool it you've got to get a beefy cooler the NH-D15 for example. 4x8GB 3200 CL14 from before, the sweet spot would be 3600. 850W should be enough, the difference is very noticeable. If you are going to use the CPU only for gaming the 5950X isn't worth it, get the 5900X instead.

eXeToR wrote:
Update the BIOS and swap out the CPU, if you want to air cool it you've got to get a beefy cooler the NH-D15 for example. 4x8GB 3200 CL14 from before, the sweet spot would be 3600. 850W should be enough, the difference is very noticeable. If you are going to use the CPU only for gaming the 5950X isn't worth it, get the 5900X instead.

What is the 5950X good for? I run multiple programs at the same time across two screens, sometimes two 3D sims at the same time, one on each screen. One of them, Space Engine, is a real power guzzler.

Is 32 GB the sweet spot for this board and that new cpu? I don't see many people going to 64 GB or even trying 128 GB.