cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
154 Views
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
Alex0915

You can use whatever the board officially supports, my 5600x has been rock solid stable on the latest BIOS. A 5600x is 6/12. 5800x is 8/16.

Air cooling can cool probably up to 5900x well.


Thanks, what about for memory, what is the maximum amount of RAM the board can handle? I am confused because it says in those PDF it can handle up to 8x16 which is 128 GB, but doesn't this board only have 4 slots for memory?

AlleyViper
Level 9
Can't you try to inquire Asus support directly regarding the compatibility of plain Unbuffered/NON-ECC 32GB sticks? It's unlikely that you'll find ITT a considerable amount of users on 2x32, let alone 4x32GB.

AlleyViper wrote:
Can't you try to inquire Asus support directly regarding the compatibility of plain Unbuffered/NON-ECC 32GB sticks? It's unlikely that you'll find ITT a considerable amount of users on 2x32, let alone 4x32GB.


I'm not even sure single sticks of 32 GB are supported, in the PDF they mentioned 8x16....if 32 GB single sticks were compatible, it would be very easy to get to 128 GB using all four slots. Currently I have 2x8 and 2x16 the 2x8 is Kingston DDR4-2666 and the 2x16 is Crucial DDR4-2666

Asus Support is a no go, they ask for the serial number of the motherboard and I don't have any of the original materials that came with it, I don't even have the discs or the box itself.

Alex0915 wrote:
I'm not even sure single sticks of 32 GB are supported, in the PDF they mentioned 8x16....if 32 GB single sticks were compatible, it would be very easy to get to 128 GB using all four slots. Currently I have 2x8 and 2x16 the 2x8 is Kingston DDR4-2666 and the 2x16 is Crucial DDR4-2666

Asus Support is a no go, they ask for the serial number of the motherboard and I don't have any of the original materials that came with it, I don't even have the discs or the box itself.


Memory support varies as well as timings capability on the processor. I'd look up the motherboard QVL and go from there. I have 16GB, I don't need 128GB so I'm not familiar with max capacity.

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
Memory support varies as well as timings capability on the processor. I'd look up the motherboard QVL and go from there. I have 16GB, I don't need 128GB so I'm not familiar with max capacity.


Well, I run multiple 3D apps on two screens, basically what I am running right now is 16 GB (8x2) and have the 32 GB on standby in case I need it. I have a 1060 6 GB video card and both my monitors are 1280x1024 (I have a third monitor, 1080P but have it on standby in case one of my monitors goes bad (knock on wood that they don't.) I run Starry Night Pro Plus on one screen and Space Engine Pro on the other. I also run 3 browsers with lots of tabs at the same time (Chrome, Firefox and Ice Dragon) as well as OBS Studio to record movies made with Space Engine Pro. Okay so I originally had my virtual memory set to 8 GB but could not do this with all that going on at the same time....so I upped my virtual memory now it's set to 32 GB on my Nvme m.2 SSD (Samsung Evo 970) and 64 GB set to my mechanical hard drive (Toshiba 7200 rpm). Now everything seems to run smoothly and I get 30 fps on both simulations (I don't need more than that, I actually have both frame capped to 30 fps.) I guess more RAM isn't always needed and having a lot of virtual memory is almost as good? I just hope I don't put wear on my SSD hence the fixed size for virtual memory- I read that having a fixed size for virtual memory is better since the file size doesn't change.

Right now my total memory is 112 GB (16 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual) and if swap it out with the 32 GB it would be 128 GB (32 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual). Hey, if I wanted to could I use all four slots and have 8x2 in two slots and 16x2 in the other two slots, would that cause any issues? Everything is DDR4-2666 but the 8x2 is Kingston and the 16x2 is Crucial.

Alex0915 wrote:
Well, I run multiple 3D apps on two screens, basically what I am running right now is 16 GB (8x2) and have the 32 GB on standby in case I need it. I have a 1060 6 GB video card and both my monitors are 1280x1024 (I have a third monitor, 1080P but have it on standby in case one of my monitors goes bad (knock on wood that they don't.) I run Starry Night Pro Plus on one screen and Space Engine Pro on the other. I also run 3 browsers with lots of tabs at the same time (Chrome, Firefox and Ice Dragon) as well as OBS Studio to record movies made with Space Engine Pro. Okay so I originally had my virtual memory set to 8 GB but could not do this with all that going on at the same time....so I upped my virtual memory now it's set to 32 GB on my Nvme m.2 SSD (Samsung Evo 970) and 64 GB set to my mechanical hard drive (Toshiba 7200 rpm). Now everything seems to run smoothly and I get 30 fps on both simulations (I don't need more than that, I actually have both frame capped to 30 fps.) I guess more RAM isn't always needed and having a lot of virtual memory is almost as good? I just hope I don't put wear on my SSD hence the fixed size for virtual memory- I read that having a fixed size for virtual memory is better since the file size doesn't change.

Right now my total memory is 112 GB (16 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual) and if swap it out with the 32 GB it would be 128 GB (32 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual). Hey, if I wanted to could I use all four slots and have 8x2 in two slots and 16x2 in the other two slots, would that cause any issues? Everything is DDR4-2666 but the 8x2 is Kingston and the 16x2 is Crucial.


If timings match or are similar enough, you might be fine, but mixing memory brands & timings has never been ideal. I would check timings & do stress tests but any way you look at it real RAM vs Virtual will always be significantly faster even with lowered timings to account for differences in timings & such.

Davemaster84
Level 7
Hello everyone I have a question. I updated my cpu today from a ryzen 2700x to a ryzen 5800x, I updated the bios to the 5809 since I read it is the most stable, everything is working perfect only bug seems to be that my keyboard light turns off and on momentarily , should I be concerned? Thanks a lot

Davemaster84 wrote:
Hello everyone I have a question. I updated my cpu today from a ryzen 2700x to a ryzen 5800x, I updated the bios to the 5809 since I read it is the most stable, everything is working perfect only bug seems to be that my keyboard light turns off and on momentarily , should I be concerned? Thanks a lot


I'd recommend the latest BIOS for 5000 series CPUs. My 5600x loves it. I boost to 4.85 on single core, 4.55 on all with -15 Curve Optimizer on all cores. My USB keyboard disconnection issues disappeared as well. If it doesn't work well for you, there's a way to flash BIOS with dos & a USB to older versions.

Attaching screenshot of CPU-Z Test I just performed while writing this. 88452

hodges.joseph91 wrote:
I'd recommend the latest BIOS for 5000 series CPUs. My 5600x loves it. I boost to 4.85 on single core, 4.55 on all with -15 Curve Optimizer on all cores. My USB keyboard disconnection issues disappeared as well. If it doesn't work well for you, there's a way to flash BIOS with dos & a USB to older versions.

Attaching screenshot of CPU-Z Test I just performed while writing this. 88452


Thank you for the reply, which bios are you using exactly?

Davemaster84 wrote:
Thank you for the reply, which bios are you using exactly?


5843. PBO Curve Optimizer is different for each processor, and although I was stable in stress tests, in games I started crashing. (Valheim oddly enough.) I have since went to -5 all core and have no more crashes. Tbh, for the few degrees difference it makes in temps it's probably not worth messing with much unless you really like to tweak settings for the best performance.