cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
546 Views
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

Alcolawl wrote:
I've successfully overclocked my 3466CL16 kit to 3600 CL16 on the latest BIOS. Pretty tight timings too. Several other users have been able to reach 3733 MHz as well according a community overclocking sheet.



Yeah, this BIOS has been a pain in the ass. I've had instances where previously perfectly stable settings would suddenly just not boot. Here's what I've had to do to get memory settings to stick:


  • Load Optimized Defaults
  • Save and Reset
  • Set Memory to 2933 MHz
  • Set Memory Voltage to your desired voltage.
  • Save and Reset
  • Boot Back into the BIOS
  • Set desired memory speed
  • Save and reset


I was able to get my memory to stick at 3600 MHz @ 1.44V this way.


I haven't tried overclocking yet, but I am now able to run DOCP profile for my Flare X 3200 CL16. I'm guessing it was because I worked my way up manually to 320 frequency with a lower CL setting, and then tried DOCP again.

Fixed.

Yeah it seems that first manually setting the voltage then rebooting then setting DOCP is the workaround.

EDIT: though the tighter timings have caused a failure to post, so using default XMP for now.

I have the same problem with my rams.Tried all the solutions metioned above.I tried manual setup too but nothing worked.I can achieve only 3000Mhz.
I have a Patriot Viper 4 2x8Gb Cl16 3400Mhz kit,I hope that the new bios will solve the problem.

If anyone is having mouse problems with the 5007 bios, it seems to be mouse dependent.

When I was first building my machine at my work table and using my old Logitech G400, the mouse worked fine.

I moved the PC to my home office after Windows installation, where I have my computer setup with two mice. I have one set up on the left and one set up on the right, because switching mice for a few minutes every couple of hours minimizes several RSI problems that have. My Razer DeathAdder Elite functions very poorly. My Corsair M45 raptor works fine. I switched the USB connections just to see if that was it, and the DeathAdder continued to work very poorly.

So if you are having problems with a gaming mouse that has special drivers to access features, try hooking up a very basic optical mouse. Your problems might go away.

Alcolawl wrote:
I've successfully overclocked my 3466CL16 kit to 3600 CL16 on the latest BIOS. Pretty tight timings too. Several other users have been able to reach 3733 MHz as well according a community overclocking sheet.



Yeah, this BIOS has been a pain in the ass. I've had instances where previously perfectly stable settings would suddenly just not boot. Here's what I've had to do to get memory settings to stick:


  • Load Optimized Defaults
  • Save and Reset
  • Set Memory to 2933 MHz
  • Set Memory Voltage to your desired voltage.
  • Save and Reset
  • Boot Back into the BIOS
  • Set desired memory speed
  • Save and reset


I was able to get my memory to stick at 3600 MHz @ 1.44V this way.


actually been quite lucky with bios 5007 in terms of ram compatibility

recently upgraded from 2700x to 3900x and havent had issue so far
im using 4 ram sticks hynix cjr, from 2 kits of trident z rgb 3600 cl 18

booted with DOCP no problem tho i ddnt test stability i did play bfv with it no prob

used ryzen calculator 3200 16-18-19 (safe preset) @ 1.35v n stable aida 1hr/prime/bfv/divsion 2 /premiere
decided to try 3466 cas 16 (safe preset) but stepped 1.35->1.36v(noticed on older bios that high mhz docp need and extra 0.05v to be stable) soc @ 1.05v setting is stable on my test ,games and premiere

bugs i saw with bios is PBO not working as manual where tdc 114->95 and edc 168-140 (lower power limit) which dropped some cpu perf on new bioses (this number might be for ryzen 3000, but im sure these numbers where changed when i was still on 2700x. pretty sure there are post about lowered multicore perf somwhere. it did break aura sink after ram tweak had to install old version

anyway only way to change this is to use performance enhancer level 1 or 2
level 1 removes limit on ppt and tdc which also increases temp by ~10 deg c (high 70 to low 80)
level 2 removes all limit and adds another 10deg on temp (90+ deg) yep ive hit 93 deg dont even wanna know vrm temp
at stock with nhu12a temp are around 30-40+ deg idle 70-73 on games, 75 on prime small fft
temps are same as 2700x with higher pbo setting

Rbryan04 wrote:
actually been quite lucky with bios 5007 in terms of ram compatibility

recently upgraded from 2700x to 3900x and havent had issue so far
im using 4 ram sticks hynix cjr, from 2 kits of trident z rgb 3600 cl 18

booted with DOCP no problem tho i ddnt test stability i did play bfv with it no prob

used ryzen calculator 3200 16-18-19 (safe preset) @ 1.35v n stable aida 1hr/prime/bfv/divsion 2 /premiere
decided to try 3466 cas 16 (safe preset) but stepped 1.35->1.36v(noticed on older bios that high mhz docp need and extra 0.05v to be stable) soc @ 1.05v setting is stable on my test ,games and premiere

bugs i saw with bios is PBO not working as manual where tdc 114->95 and edc 168-140 (lower power limit) which dropped some cpu perf on new bioses (this number might be for ryzen 3000, but im sure these numbers where changed when i was still on 2700x. pretty sure there are post about lowered multicore perf somwhere. it did break aura sink after ram tweak had to install old version

anyway only way to change this is to use performance enhancer level 1 or 2
level 1 removes limit on ppt and tdc which also increases temp by ~10 deg c (high 70 to low 80)
level 2 removes all limit and adds another 10deg on temp (90+ deg) yep ive hit 93 deg dont even wanna know vrm temp
at stock with nhu12a temp are around 30-40+ deg idle 70-73 on games, 75 on prime small fft
temps are same as 2700x with higher pbo setting


I haven't been using the Performance Enhancer Levels since I got my 3700X. I just set the PPT, TDC, and EDC manually. Definitely leads to increased power usage and temps, though. Temps hit 73°C during wPrime 1024M benchmark.

Hi! Also owner of this board and a 3900X, plus 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 CL14.

Just to confirm what I've read from some other people, RAM don't boot with DOCP, but I can manually set its XMP values and it'll boot just fine. I even pushed them to 3600MHz 16-18-18-36 1T (still 1.35V) no problem whatsoever, stable after 6h of Prime95. As for the CPU, after some testing I found out that setting a vcore negative offset is the best I can do to it. Sustained clocks will be higher after 6h of Prime with -0.125V (best balance I've found).

Now I have everything at default except RAM at 3600MHz CL16 and negative vcore offset of -0.125V.
For actual work, like x264 encoding (what I want this machine for primarily), all cores stay at around 4275Mhz on their own as an average, during 4-5h encoding queues on an average load of 70-80%, with vcore ranging 1.25 - 1.275V and temps never going above 57ºC (Corsair H115i Platinum).

I don't know about synthetic benchmarks, I know that for my actual work, this is rock solid and gives amazing performance at stock. These Ryzen chips don't have that much overclock room (if any), because they do it by default. Undervolting to lower temps even more is what worked best for me, as stated above.

By the way, in my actual workload this thing is like a 450% faster than my previous 1700 @ 4GHz. Also I borrowed a 9900K some time ago, and this 3900X is still like 60% faster (again, on my workload, which is what I care about in this machine tbh).

Cheers!

JobCampbell wrote:
Hi! Also owner of this board and a 3900X, plus 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 CL14.

Just to confirm what I've read from some other people, RAM don't boot with DOCP, but I can manually set its XMP values and it'll boot just fine. I even pushed them to 3600MHz 16-18-18-36 1T (still 1.35V) no problem whatsoever, stable after 6h of Prime95. As for the CPU, after some testing I found out that setting a vcore negative offset is the best I can do to it. Sustained clocks will be higher after 6h of Prime with -0.125V (best balance I've found).

Now I have everything at default except RAM at 3600MHz CL16 and negative vcore offset of -0.125V.
For actual work, like x264 encoding (what I want this machine for primarily), all cores stay at around 4275Mhz on their own as an average, during 4-5h encoding queues on an average load of 70-80%, with vcore ranging 1.25 - 1.275V and temps never going above 57ºC (Corsair H115i Platinum).

I don't know about synthetic benchmarks, I know that for my actual work, this is rock solid and gives amazing performance at stock. These Ryzen chips don't have that much overclock room (if any), because they do it by default. Undervolting to lower temps, even more, is what worked best for me, as stated above.

By the way, in my actual workload this thing is like a 450% faster than my previous 1700 @ 4GHz. Also I borrowed a 9900K some time ago, and this 3900X is still like 60% faster (again, on my workload, which is what I care about in this machine tbh).

Cheers!


Just an FYI they have found that undervolting Zen2 may give you lower temps and higher sustained clocks, but lower performance. You can check yourself by running a cinebench with stock voltage and then with your negative offset, you should get a lower score. It has to do with how it manages the voltage. It's fine if what your main problem is temp and not performance, but keeping it at the higher voltage won't hurt the chip, it takes care of itself well.

https://ns.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

https://ns.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdkbkk/psa_undervolting_does_not_retain_performance_with/

For Zen and Zen + undervolting is fine.

schmak wrote:
Just an FYI they have found that undervolting Zen2 may give you lower temps and higher sustained clocks, but lower performance. You can check yourself by running a cinebench with stock voltage and then with your negative offset, you should get a lower score. It has to do with how it manages the voltage. It's fine if what your main problem is temp and not performance, but keeping it at the higher voltage won't hurt the chip, it takes care of itself well.

https://ns.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

https://ns.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdkbkk/psa_undervolting_does_not_retain_performance_with/

For Zen and Zen + undervolting is fine.


Mmm, very interesting indeed. I'm not a fan of synthetic benchmarks... they're fine for comparisons across chips, but when trying to determine how one particular tech performs best, in my case, I'd rather throw at it an actual load I'll be performing on it.

I prepared a 11:20 length lossless 2160p60 clip and transcoded it with Handbrake to custom 1080p preset ten times. Here are averages results:


  • Undervolt of 0.125V

    • Load: 85-95%
    • Voltage: 1.21V - 1.23V
    • Temp: 63-67C (package temp)
    • Freq: All cores between 4090Mhz and 4150Mhz aprox.
    • TIME: 11:01

  • Stock:

    • Load: 85-95% (but some peaks to 96-98% and some downs to even 75-80%)
    • Voltage: 1.23V - 1.33V (but lows of even 1.09V)
    • Temp: 71-75C (peaks to 82C) (package temp)
    • Freq: All cores between 3950Mhz and 4070Mhz aprox.
    • TIME: 10:49



So lower clocks in average, higher voltages with similar load, higher temperature... but yes, lower times indeed. A 1.8% lower time.
Also for the sake of it, I ran cinebench ten times with eath config too, and the difference was a 0.7% decrease in score with undervolting.

So... well yes, I guess technically I lose some performance, but a 0.7% in synthetic benchmarks and a 1.8% in an actual task that I do... I don't think it's worth considering the higher much higher temps... or is it?

For now, I'll leave it auto. I want to see the difference in a day to day basis. I'll decide in a couple of more days, but if difference stays at around 1-2%, I'll probably go back to an undervolt. At least until new BIOSes come out and I can try again.

Cheers!

On the same topic of undervolting, Gamer Nexus just made a video about this.
He loses a lot of performance by setting a VCore of 1V, which is kind of expected imo... but with a small offset (even 0.1V), he gets better temps and almost exact results, some losses of 1% there and some gains of 2% here... kind of my results too.

GN VIDEO

81122