cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

I hope there’s going to be a bios update soon I made the mistake of upgraded my cpu from the 2600x to the 3600x and getting the rx 5700xt. This board doesn’t seem to like it, the cpu fan is going crazy revving up and down also I can’t install the gpu driver without it crashing so I’m stuck using the basic display adapter. 😞

Ok so I was a bit dumb with the ram slots...I put my rams into the Dimm_B1 and Dimm_A1 instead of Dimm_B2 and Dimm_A2...now it's work like a charm on 3400Mhz with DOCP.
3600 was good too but it's need some testing.

Mercenarie
Level 7
Hi,

Got my new 3700X and also had similar issues getting my RAM (G.Skill 3200Mhz CL14 TridentZ) stable at previously perfectly fine setup.

Initially I tried the D.O.C.P. profile but it failed POST, back to SAFE start several times, DRAM voltage was set to 1.35V

So, then I tried setting it manually from 2133 (default frequency) at 1.35V and incrementing by 200Mhz and reboot after each increase.
Managed to get my RAM back to 3200Mhz CL14 @1.35V after like a dozen of reboots, but it seems to be all stable, got my RAM test with 0% errors yesterday (1300% coverage).

Did anyone try to go over 3200Mhz at 1.35V CL14? B.Die should be able to achieve this, but I suspect that our AGESA is not yet stable enough.. also the mouse lag is terrible in this version (1.0.0.2).

rimnaz
Level 7
Finally got my 3700x. I was afraid I would have to tweak a lot of settings in bios, reset cmos and stuff like that. But I just installed and it works!

My ram works too with preloaded d.o.c.p profile (3600) no problem whatsoever, 4dimms Kingston HyperX HX436C17PB3K2 (B-die). I was quite surprised here since I’ve never been able to make it work with Ryzen 2600. Manual settings or d.o.c.p. didn’t matter, I was always getting random blue screen or my apps randomly crashed, sometimes it was ok but then a problem occurred anyway. My maximum stable frequency with 2600 was 3400 MHz + I had to manually tweak my settings to make it work.

So far I’ve tested CB15 since I don’t like or haven’t used to CB20 yet. Multicore score was 2103 and single score – 204. Pretty damn good considering the fact my 2600 at 4 GHz had ~1320 multi and ~170 single core.

Some negative stuff:
Voltage is indeed is pretty high, spiking to 1.4625 underload, sometimes even idle. I’m using cpu-z and ryzen master to monitor it, since I’ve read other apps could show you wrong numbers.
Idle temp sitting around 44c and 67c under load with Noctua nh-u12s. I’m pretty sure it will be a lot higher under stress test.

I hope Asus will release new bios soon as I’m sure it will work even better.
P.S. Updating to 5007 made me quite nervous as it restarted my system like 5 times in a row with red led active, so I was like “this is it, I’m f..ed”.

Topfn
Level 10
Don't use more than 1 monitoring tool at the same time.

"It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies..."
The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen (Source)

Topfn wrote:
Don't use more than 1 monitoring tool at the same time.

"It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies..."
The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen (Source)

Also note for those who have not looked at it recently, they have changed their first recommendation to use the Ryzen Balanced plan. There is an edit to the original post from this week that now says to use Windows Balanced plan, minimum processor state at 85%.

Someone just posted on reddit that they received beta BIOS Version 5104 from Asus. Maybe we'll see a new release soon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cfam3s/bios_version_5104_for_x470f_does_not_fix_the/

Hello, I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x with 32gb (4x8gb) of 3200mhz cl4 (team dark pro) with an asus x470 strix gaming f . I have a Noctua NH-D14 cooler (with upgraded better Noctua fans). Boot drive is a m.2 nvmd adata xpg sx8200 480gb pcie gene x4. GPU is a gigabyte gtx 2070.

Back when I first received the components I did some minor tweaks which I don't remember exactly (followed some guide) but it allowed me to have a stable all core boost of 4.25ghz on the 2600x, I didn't tweak the ram so it's using its normal speeds (3200). I haven't touched anything else and it's been about 1 year now, everything running smooth.

Now I bought a 3600x and just received it. I thought this would be a simple upgrade but I now see that lots of people are having issues and it's stressing me out... I really hope I don't have to spend countless hours getting things working stable... How do you recommend I proceed?

I know I need to do a complete update of everything before I switch the cpu (bios, chipset, windows, GPU, everything else) but is there a specific order procedure to do so? Is it recommended to update the chipset AFTER or BEFORE switching the CPU, some say after is better... Are there settings in the bios I should change before and after the switch? Which programs is most reliable to determine if the system is stable or not?

Assuming the switch goes smoothly, and system is stable, which tweaks in the bios would you recommend?

Anyone with this mobo and cpu experienced issues? How did you resolve them?

Just would appreciate some input on how to do this switch in the most appropriate way to minimize chances of running into issues...

rastacook wrote:
Hello, I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x with 32gb (4x8gb) of 3200mhz cl4 (team dark pro) with an asus x470 strix gaming f . I have a Noctua NH-D14 cooler (with upgraded better Noctua fans). Boot drive is a m.2 nvmd adata xpg sx8200 480gb pcie gene x4. GPU is a gigabyte gtx 2070.

Back when I first received the components I did some minor tweaks which I don't remember exactly (followed some guide) but it allowed me to have a stable all core boost of 4.25ghz on the 2600x, I didn't tweak the ram so it's using its normal speeds (3200). I haven't touched anything else and it's been about 1 year now, everything running smooth.

Now I bought a 3600x and just received it. I thought this would be a simple upgrade but I now see that lots of people are having issues and it's stressing me out... I really hope I don't have to spend countless hours getting things working stable... How do you recommend I proceed?

I know I need to do a complete update of everything before I switch the cpu (bios, chipset, windows, GPU, everything else) but is there a specific order procedure to do so? Is it recommended to update the chipset AFTER or BEFORE switching the CPU, some say after is better... Are there settings in the bios I should change before and after the switch? Which programs is most reliable to determine if the system is stable or not?

Assuming the switch goes smoothly, and system is stable, which tweaks in the bios would you recommend?

Just would appreciate some input on how to do this switch in the most appropriate way to minimize chances of running into issues...

What you say is impossible, or you have not understood how PBO works, or you have erroneous readings, the maximum turbo is for a single core, and from there according to the number of cores in use, percentage of load, availability of power and temperature will be the Maximum frequency they can handle, I leave you some images.

No matter how much you cool it, it will never exceed the allowed limits, in gamernexus there is a revision by cooling with NL of 3900x at -23 ° C and not passing 4300Mhz and only improving 5%.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

rastacook wrote:

I know I need to do a complete update of everything before I switch the cpu (bios, chipset, windows, GPU, everything else) but is there a specific order procedure to do so? Is it recommended to update the chipset AFTER or BEFORE switching the CPU, some say after is better... Are there settings in the bios I should change before and after the switch? Which programs is most reliable to determine if the system is stable or not?* Assuming the switch goes smoothly, and system is stable, which tweaks in the bios would you recommend?

I think ur 2600x was ocd if it stays at that clock all the time

Theres no tweak i kno so far for 3600x just run it stock maybe a little negative offset just for temp.as per tech jesus theres no perf uploft with 3600 undervolted
make sure u load optimised setting after cpu change
**Only prob ppl getting is ram docp
Just boot to windows with all auto
Then restart
Load docp *
Usually works