cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

Okay was looking at faster DDR4 than the 2400 MHz in the system.
Would G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 AMD
go okay in this board as some say it supports 3466MHz and others say it will support the 3600MHz.
Or would I be better to just get 3200MHz for this board?

mixsetup wrote:
Okay was looking at faster DDR4 than the 2400 MHz in the system.
Would G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 AMD
go okay in this board as some say it supports 3466MHz and others say it will support the 3600MHz.
Or would I be better to just get 3200MHz for this board?

Save your money and get a good 3200C14 kit of some kind. It will most likely be able to clock higher than 3200 MHz to begin with, if that's what you desire, but beyond 3200 MHz, you start seeing diminishing returns. Of course, if you've got the cash, you could always get a faster kit. If you're planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx series CPU in the future, rumors are starting to surface that they might support faster memory kits. So it might be a bit more future proof, but they're just rumors. Salt recommended.

thanks no as I just bought the 2600X as my old FX board died so won;t be buying one of the new Ryzen;s for a while.
Wasn't going to OC the memory that's why I was looking at the 3600MHz.

Alcolawl wrote:
Save your money and get a good 3200C14 kit of some kind. It will most likely be able to clock higher than 3200 MHz to begin with, if that's what you desire, but beyond 3200 MHz, you start seeing diminishing returns. Of course, if you've got the cash, you could always get a faster kit. If you're planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx series CPU in the future, rumors are starting to surface that they might support faster memory kits. So it might be a bit more future proof, but they're just rumors. Salt recommended.

Do you buy the idea that the new generation of Ryzen will have 16c/32t CPUs at the top end? That would render all our CPUs obsolete! Even the 2700x! I hope that they at least work in these motherboards!

I didn't know they'd support faster memory kits- I thought they only supported a faster PCIe bus- PCIe 4?

Maybe they will support a higher capacity of memory though? Like 32 GB per channel? Could our motherboards do that with a BIOS update? I think it's possible as well as getting them to support faster memory (but not DDR5 OR PCIe 4).

Using the latest 4207 (and 4204 before), I got the already known bugs:
a. Q-Fan randomly sets stable RPM to fans connected onboard, ignoring settings of Q-Fan in BIOS
b. BIOS randomly choose to reports same stable CPU temperature (on 3rd party applications, mostly AIDA64 and never using more than one in parallel). The sensor in question is "CPU". "CPU Diode" seems to not be affected of this 'freezing' report. On cold reboot, the sensor reports the correct temperature again (Aura and Corsair iCue are not set to mess with CPU Temperature at all). Also, Ryzen Master seems to not be affected of this issue, as it seems to use the "CPU Diode" sensor of the CPU itself.

Is there any sign of these bugs been reported and been in tackled-phase, ready to be published in the next version of the BIOS?

Alex0915 wrote:
Do you buy the idea that the new generation of Ryzen will have 16c/32t CPUs at the top end? That would render all our CPUs obsolete! Even the 2700x! I hope that they at least work in these motherboards!

I didn't know they'd support faster memory kits- I thought they only supported a faster PCIe bus- PCIe 4?

Maybe they will support a higher capacity of memory though? Like 32 GB per channel? Could our motherboards do that with a BIOS update? I think it's possible as well as getting them to support faster memory (but not DDR5 OR PCIe 4).

Guys pls stop wasting your hard earned money buying a faster ram. Total waste. If you are from my area I will hapily sell my 4x3200 bdie kit and buy even a 2400kit and use that money for faster cpu and gpu. I have made a video to address. The performance difference is intangible and totally not worth it

AniChatt wrote:
Guys pls stop wasting your hard earned money buying a faster ram. Total waste. If you are from my area I will hapily sell my 4x3200 bdie kit and buy even a 2400kit and use that money for faster cpu and gpu. I have made a video to address. The performance difference is intangible and totally not worth it

Frankly it depends on your usage of the comp. Some applications work better with faster and greater amount of RAM, some are more CPU/GPU demanding and finally there are some that work better with fast drives.

There is no truth as such to this, I tend to down prioritize CPU for better RAM and GPU, plus NVMe (fast drives). I don'r run any very demanding games, but I do run stuff that requires a decent GPU (1060 in my case), go better with fast RAM, and almost everything works faster with NVMe.

homdax wrote:
Frankly it depends on your usage of the comp. Some applications work better with faster and greater amount of RAM, some are more CPU/GPU demanding and finally there are some that work better with fast drives.

There is no truth as such to this, I tend to down prioritize CPU for better RAM and GPU, plus NVMe (fast drives). I don'r run any very demanding games, but I do run stuff that requires a decent GPU (1060 in my case), go better with fast RAM, and almost everything works faster with NVMe.

Yep agreed.
But till date the benefit of switching from 2400 to 3200Mhz ram is almost intangible for 99.9% users compared to getting a Faster GPU>Faster CPU>Faster Drive and above all relatively better quality equipment of similar spec. Just my experience till date. Actually I have also purchased my B-die kit and its price is ~480 USD which is simply unacceptable (after buying I have realized). I have seen so many reviews showing that it is necessary for ryzen.

homdax wrote:

And it's also true that faster RAM is more stable at 16 GB (8x2 GB) than 32 GB (16x2 GB).

AniChatt wrote:

I mean... This is definitely not true, but I agree, until RAM prices return to near-normal levels, putting your hard earned money to other components will net you better results. That being said, there are plenty of benchmarks out there that show going from 2133 or 2400 to 3200+ MHz memory kits net you some considerable FPS gains. Higher minimums, and higher maximums in games. Much higher synthetic benchmarks as well (If you care about that stuff).