cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

norman_87 wrote:
I just got 3533MHz stable on my Flare X 2x8GB b-die kit
1.45V dram, 1.15V soc

3600MHz is not gonna happen with those timings, I tried already with 1.5V but showed errors, probs have to loosen some timings not worth the hassle.

Does anyone have a clue about the Aida64 benchmark? Only got the trial version, are those numbers accurate? I just know that the lowest possible latency is around 58ns for zen+

Nice job, that is a great speed to achieve on Ryzen. I was able to get my B-Die kit stable at 3466 MHz and decently tight timings. My numbers were just a little lower than yours, both read speeds and latency. There's actually a community overclocking sheet that I put together and combined with the data from another community (OCN) for Zen+ Memory Overclocking. Check it out here. You'll see that your numbers fall right in line with others that were running their kits at similar speeds.

EDIT: I was a little surprised at your SOC voltage, seems like most other people had luck, including me, running a much lower vSOC. I'd probably try to work on that a little when you have some spare time. At the very least, lowering the vSOC will help with temperatures.

Alcolawl wrote:
Nice job, that is a great speed to achieve on Ryzen. I was able to get my B-Die kit stable at 3466 MHz and decently tight timings. My numbers were just a little lower than yours, both read speeds and latency. There's actually a community overclocking sheet that I put together and combined with the data from another community (OCN) for Zen+ Memory Overclocking. Check it out here. You'll see that your numbers fall right in line with others that were running their kits at similar speeds.

EDIT: I was a little surprised at your SOC voltage, seems like most other people had luck, including me, running a much lower vSOC. I'd probably try to work on that a little when you have some spare time. At the very least, lowering the vSOC will help with temperatures.

Thanks for linking the document to compare stuff, really helpful.

To be honest I left my soc voltage on auto which is 1.15V in Bios and 1.135V under load. Can probably test 1.0V-1.1V. Hopefully my cpu oc doesn't get unstable with lowering soc voltage, I heard that soc voltage can help with your cpu oc stability. I will stress test 1.05V soc and see how it goes, if it's unstable 1.1V soc.

norman_87 wrote:
Thanks for linking the document to compare stuff, really helpful.

To be honest I left my soc voltage on auto which is 1.15V in Bios and 1.135V under load. Can probably test 1.0V-1.1V. Hopefully my cpu oc doesn't get unstable with lowering soc voltage, I heard that soc voltage can help with your cpu oc stability.

Even 1.10v is not required most of the times. It is helpful for RAM OC but something 1.00 to 1.10v should do the job for Ryzen+. 1.15v is not required for almost 98% times I believe. Set a decent LLC 3-4 level and reduce the Vcore part to max possible to achieve a super low voltage stable oc. Made a tutorial on it (a bit boring though) but I have measured the power draw (by hw monitor) and found it is really worth it compared to setting the LLC lower and vcore higher.

AniChatt wrote:
Even 1.10v is not required most of the times. It is helpful for RAM OC but something 1.00 to 1.10v should do the job for Ryzen+. 1.15v is not required for almost 98% times I believe. Set a decent LLC 3-4 level and reduce the Vcore part to max possible to achieve a super low voltage stable oc. Made a tutorial on it (a bit boring though) but I have measured the power draw (by hw monitor) and found it is really worth it compared to setting the LLC lower and vcore higher.

I just stress tested with 1.05V soc, it's stable and 5C lower on dimms. Vsoc drooping to 1.03V under load, 1.044V idle.

The PSU is okay, I am just upset because I specifically selected the 850W model because it was listed as having over temperature and surge-inrush protection and this one has neither, although my new UPS makes up for the latter. The PSU has some nice reviews and in the Hardforum review it's stated that even though it's rated for only 40C it works well up to 50C. I just need to make sure I stay on top of the temps. My GPU is a Gigabyte Windforce (dual fans) GTX 1060 6 GB since it is the only 10 series GPU I could find that has two DVI slots for my two DVI monitors.

I was originally going to go with the Thermaltake Core 31 case they offered which has 8 fan slots but found out from reviews that that case has a problem with dust, even with its magnetic air filters and as I live in a dusty environment thats a no go. The Raidmax case has 2 fan slots in the front for intake and one in the back and one on top which are for exhaust which I like because heat rises, and I like the 4 case fan configuration. I will keep it to air cooling and I noted in the specs that the case supports up to 160mm height coolers so I will get one of the air coolers you suggested next week. Meanwhile I did the power profile thing you suggested (I assume my PE is already disabled since it is set to default- thats what you mean by PE disabled I think?) and found rather interesting results. At 100% my cpu runs at 4.2 GHz, between 90-99% it runs at 3.2 GHz and under 90% it runs at 2.2 GHz- so the settings are very coarse. I put it at 99% and noticed an immediate drop in temps to 42C. I wish there were an intermediate setting, but for now the cpu is running at 3.2 GHz which is the same speed as a Ryzen 2700.

I opened CPU-Z and went to the memory tab and found my memory is running at 2666 but the timings are loose they are 20-19-19-43-62-1T at 1.20v. Under SPD I found four JEDEC options for timings but faster timings cause slower clocks, the fastest I could find was JEDEC #10 at 19-19-19-43-61-1T at 2666 speed at 1.20v. And I thought it was Crucial memory, particularly since it came with a Crucial memory pamphlet, but according to CPU-Z it's actually Kingston memory. The quality is about the same isn't it?

Thanks for all your help, I am going to pick out a better air cooler since that seems to be the one thing I really need to do.

Sorry I had no way to test it, as I'm away from my Ryzen. Setting 99% should then apply the next p-state bellow 3.7GHz, hence the huge drop in speed. You could try reverting to 100%, and just disable performance boost (Yes, PBO is already off with PE on Default). You should find it on Advanced\AMD CBS\"Core Performance Boost". It should set your CPU to max base 3.7GHz, by disabling PB/XFR.
Regarding air coolers, please double-check size diagrams on their corresponding pages to ensure proper clearance in all directions (ex, the lower zone at the top of the side panel before it protrudes). Those things are huge.

On memory It's not so much about "quality", it's just that those sticks on the picture should have had better timings for that speed and be quite more expensive (even if not the most appropriate choice for a Ryzen+ build). The only Kingston 2666 C19 rated sticks I see are their value series without heat spreaders, and that explains the lack of a tighter XMP profile. If you wish to correct that CL timing at 20, check if DOCP does it for you, else, just input 19 in the first setting of Ai Tweaker\Memory Control, DRAM CAS# Latency. Don't bother about the rest for now.

@norman_87, good stuff! How are reported stick temps while stress testing them?

AlleyViper wrote:

Thanks, around 45-48C with some airflow over the sticks, up to 1.5V is safe for daily on b-die.

Tried installing the latest audio driver for the motherboard, can't get any sound. Tried clean installs and everything. Any tried updating?

AlleyViper wrote:
Sorry I had no way to test it, as I'm away from my Ryzen. Setting 99% should then apply the next p-state bellow 3.7GHz, hence the huge drop in speed. You could try reverting to 100%, and just disable performance boost (Yes, PBO is already off with PE on Default). You should find it on Advanced\AMD CBS\"Core Performance Boost". It should set your CPU to max base 3.7GHz, by disabling PB/XFR.
Regarding air coolers, please double-check size diagrams on their corresponding pages to ensure proper clearance in all directions (ex, the lower zone at the top of the side panel before it protrudes). Those things are huge.

On memory It's not so much about "quality", it's just that those sticks on the picture should have had better timings for that speed and be quite more expensive (even if not the most appropriate choice for a Ryzen+ build). The only Kingston 2666 C19 rated sticks I see are their value series without heat spreaders, and that explains the lack of a tighter XMP profile. If you wish to correct that CL timing at 20, check if DOCP does it for you, else, just input 19 in the first setting of Ai Tweaker\Memory Control, DRAM CAS# Latency. Don't bother about the rest for now.

Thanks for all your assistance. I called Portatech several times and spoke to several different techs and got a major run around from all of them. They all basically said that the parts they gave me are handpicked for compatibility and they all last a long time and they have the same parts in their own computers and they have been running for 20 years in Southern California heat lol.

They said Kingston memory was more compatible for my build, they said they chose the power supply that fit most appropriately for my case, they could not tell me what brand the cooler was because they said they get different ones all the time, even when I told them it said Cooler Master on the fan they could not tell me the size of the fan - they told me to measure it myself! No idea on the cooler either, but what they did tell me is that their AMD coolers are larger and better than their Intel coolers, because Intel CPU run cooler. They mentioned the 9700K but also said that they aren't currently selling the 9900K because it isn't in stock anywhere in North America, though they were promised a new delivery by November 5, that obviously didn't happen. The expect it before the end of the year though. I almost laughed when they said Intel CPU run cooler and that's because AMD CPU are larger.

About my overheating they said that none of these third party programs measure temps properly and I just have load issues and if my fans are too loud I should change their speeds lol and select a different fan profile. He also said dont worry about overheating the computer will shut off long before any damage to anything happens, it is designed to run hot lol.

They said that what they choose for the power supply, memory, cpu cooler, fans, etc., last just as long as the parts I had wanted. In your experience is Kingston memory as durable? Same with the power supply, cpu cooler and fans? I've had issues with memory before (even Crucial memory) that I had to return and get an exchange- fortunately they had a lifetime warranty, not so sure about Kingston.

Thanks for the info on fixing my speeds, that Advanced menu you're talking about, that's in BIOS? Same for changing the memory settings? I am about to head over into BIOS and do all that you suggested.

BTW at 3.2GHz my temps are staying in the upper 40s, but I want this computer to perform better than a Ryzen 2700 non X lol. At 3.2 GHz that's what it would be comparable to right now? I wanted to ask you about core parking and all that, does editing the power profile still keep that disabled in windows balanced mode?

I won't comment on what the store told you, as you should have enough info to make your mind by now.
No problem with Kingston as a brand. IIRC they offer lifetime warranty like other brands, even for the value series.

Yes, the advanced menu on bios, that's where AMD CBS is at the bottom, and inside it you can disable Core Performance Boost (pic). For memory, under the Ai Tweaker tab, to select DOCP, that's under Ai Tuner mode, and then under it DOCP profiles should be listed for your ram (example). Just pick the closest to your default timings. Else, you can correct current settings manually in the memory timings subpage still under the ai tweaker tab.

Don't bother with 3.2Ghz, that suggestion was a mistake on my part. Try simply without PB then, with 100% max speed on the W10 power profile. Don't mind about core parking, it's still enabled in the Balanced Profile, but it shouldn't be a problem like when the first Ryzen came out, and windows wasn't updated for it. Under decent cooling, those cores resting actually help PB to boost higher speeds to the rest. If you really want core parking disabled, then you can use the Ryzen Balanced power plan instead that forces it disabled, but take care to lower minimum cpu speed from 90% to 5%.