cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

I was wrong, apparently. I decided to change to PWM control on my chassis fans before I did a bit of game testing. Did that in Q-Fan in the BIOS and for giggles ran one more run of IBT. It failed on 5 of 15 runs. No monitoring software running.

*cuss*

Roll back to 4008? Reset Windows? Grrr...

Cleared CMOS (pretty lame that we have to short pins with a screwdriver, ya know?) Rolled back to BIOS 4008. Left all settings on auto. No monitoring software running. Failed IBT on 4th iteration.

That Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming is starting to whisper to me...

Going to do a Safe Boot to Windows and try again...

Update: it passed 30 iterations while in Safe Mode. Disabling Aura...
Update 2: No joy. Locked up again after four iterations of IBT. Wiping everything, reinstalling Windows, StoreMi, etc... grr...
Update 3: [Morning after] I cannot get this system to stabilize. Did a FULL wipe & reinstall of OS, StoreMI, drivers...locked up again first run this morning. I'll debrief in a separate post...

It's been a long day and night of trying to diagnose why I can't get my shiny new Strix + Ryzen to stabilize. I had a looong post ready to go, and this ASUS forum system said I didn't have permission to post on this server. So very ironic to my entire, first ASUS experience.

So I'll list what I did as briefly as I can, in the hopes that one of you follow owners has an idea I missed, and/or to help someone behind me diagnose similar issues.

Issue: random freezes. All open apps become unresponsive, no BSOD, must hold power button 6 sec to halt system.

1. See previous posts in this thread. Bios 4011. Reset to default. Test with HWInfo and IntelBurn Test only. Many tests, but MSI Gaming App seemed to be the problem. But the issue returned. Rolled back to 4008, tested in Safe Mode, still would not stabilize. Used the nuclear option...
2. Wiped EVERYTHING. DISKPART/Cleaned the disks. Reinstalled Windows from DVD. Then StoreMI. It added a message at boot saying "UEFI Interactive Shell 2.2..." and a splash screen. That was not present before. Slowly added software back: Logitech drivers, Razer Synapse, Steam, ARK. Tested with IBT after each install. All good until I installed the drivers from the CD we get with this board.
3. First failed test after re-install. Switched from Ryzen Balanced to the default Balanced power plan. Passed. Went back to Ryzen Balanced. It passed 😞 Inconclusive again.
4. Suspected the chipset driver. Removed them, installed latest from AMD website v18.10. Resumed testing, and it looked good. Installed NZXT CAM software. Tested; good. Ran BOTH HWinfo and CAM to try to recreate the monitoring software collision that I initially thought was the problem. Even that passed! I applied TPU II in Bios. Passed. I applied DOCP. It failed.
5. At that point I noticed that my green Q LED (boot? boot device?) was staying on after boot. It blinks just before that "UEFI Interactive Shell" message appears, as if it is trying to go off. Since we don't have an LED to give us boot codes, I can't tell why. I tried various options in the Boot menu of BIOS, to no avail.
6. I reset BIOS to defaults and went to bed discouraged. I awakened this morning, fired things up, applied TPU II and then DOCP, and she failed on the first run of IBT at iteration 6.

The evidence seems to point to DOCP. I'm still running BIOS 4008. My last ditched efforts today will be to see if I can stabilize without DOCP, and then apply DOCP to recreate the problem. But there's that darn green Q LED glaring at me.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Docp mode i have found to be very unstable and caused no end of issues. In the end i selcted manual settings and set it up myself and my system has been 100% ever since. I put the docp crashes down to running the ryzen 2700x on the old x370-f board but im now wondering wether its just a general issue?

That's good to know. I'll likely go fully manual should things settle down.

Which, frustratingly, they have. I've been running all afternoon with DOCP 3200 14-14-14-34-48, Auto CPU clocks near 4100, and HWInfo while playing ARK. My loaded temp is 41c at the CPU and 67c GPU. Its like the system is teasing me...
-cgmjr

Temps sound good there. Under load my cpu runs at 50degrees celcius under stress test it maxes at 62 degrees and gpu never exceeds 60 degrees either so your temps are good there. If i rememver right i have my ram clocked to 3266mhz ish and base cpu at 3.9ghz boosting to 4.5ghz occasionally goes to 4.6ghz wheen it feels like it lol

Craigo1986 wrote:
Temps sound good there. Under load my cpu runs at 50degrees celcius under stress test it maxes at 62 degrees and gpu never exceeds 60 degrees either so your temps are good there. If i rememver right i have my ram clocked to 3266mhz ish and base cpu at 3.9ghz boosting to 4.5ghz occasionally goes to 4.6ghz wheen it feels like it lol

for that 4.4 to 4.6 GHz pls have alook at the cpu voltage it might be too hing and I think you have the Override boost active. In that case don't allow to push more than 1.425 or 1.43v or it may get too high volt.

Craigo1986 wrote:

That 41c "load" was ARK at night in a pretty cool room (75° F). IBT pushes me up into the high 70s / low 80s, so it isn't like I'm super cool. But the Kraken x62 on Performance Mode with Conductonaut is pretty stout. My S340 Elite case does have a bit of intake/airflow restrictions on the front panel, but it is fine for my application.

Craigo1986 wrote:

I call bull****. There's no way a Zen/Zen+ chip is reaching 4.6GHz "occasionally". You mind showing video proof of this happening from CPUZ, as well as your BIOS settings?

jowdyboy wrote:
I call bull****. There's no way a Zen/Zen+ chip is reaching 4.6GHz "occasionally". You mind showing video proof of this happening from CPUZ, as well as your BIOS settings?

Yeah HWInfo also shows that sometimes on my system, most likely false readings. Never really see it except in the max values