cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
1,231 Views
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

RealAntithesis wrote:
Yep, I have this motherboard (bios version 4011). Unfortunately, my new build (2700x, 32gb ddr4) is giving me issues. My pc would reboot itself randomly, with no bsod dump generated. Sometimes, the screen would just go blank with all fans and lights still running (and I need to flick the switch on the psu to turn off - the power and reboot buttons would no longer work). I've put everything back to stock, and tried some of the suggestions from around the Web on similar issues - such as turning HPET on in Windows 10, switching power plan to high performance and nvidia card (2x1080tis) too, setting tdr delay to 8 seconds instead of 2 (turning off tdr detection would cause a hard freeze with screen still on when the issue happens again), turning off global c-states, setting psu idle power to current setting (and not low power) etc etc, but it still happens.

Usually the black screen or reboot would happen very soon after intense activity (such as the video card and CPU mining all day when I'm at work) - restarting manually immediately after stopping mining usually allows me to work uninterrupted for a couple of hours, but it would lock up at some point. The curious thing is, the pc can run for 9-10 hours straight at load when mining (note that I switch off the monitor during this time), but would invariably crash when I'm interacting with the system on minimal load.

This is pointing to some sort of hardware problem I think. I'm hoping it's not the motherboard. I've already replaced the psu with a 1000w corsair, provided each pcie power port on the video cards with their own separate cable to the psu, reclipped all the other cables, reseated the ram, video cards etc, conducted a ram test using hci memtest to 800%.

The next steps are going to involve swapping components with my other Ryzen 1700x pc (ram, CPU, 1050ti), which I was hoping to avoid, but I think I've exhausted other options at this point. I'll also change power points at the wall and see if that helps anything.

I suppose the point of my post is to see if anyone else is having similar issues with their Asus x470 system?

There is a post in the hardware build forum from somebody with a similar problem : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102241-Problems-from-Hell-itself


my friend i have the same issue with the same motherboard , it happened with me for maybe 3 times before one week i thought it was due some uncompatible software or something i formated my windows then the issue gone , system was not stressed then today when i tried prime 95 to test my system the same issue happened, screen will go blank and power button and start button will not work unless i plug the power button from pc after i stoped the test not before then i started the test again and the same issue happed with me after starting i made the test again for 10 mints but this time i selected deferent setting on prime 95 and it didn't crash i am not sure what is the issue but i think it's the motherboard

AniChatt
Level 9
By the way guys use this bios 4008 it is working flawless for me and my FlareX Kit is absolutely at CL14 at default DOCP in 2X8GB mode with 1600X. However not so stable at 4x8GB default. I have not tweaked timing yet and I will post it.

Regarding the RGB mess, it is fixed and the cause was the driver corruption.

Hmm nice a dedicated asus x470-F thread
hundreds of post about people with their fancy crosshair VII, hardy anything on the X470-F gaming

Looking to get some info and insight on CPU overclocking with this board
Was trying to do a bit better cpu overclock, but ideally I would like to still use the PBO,
because its lowers the clock speed when stressing all cores, which means dont have to use much voltage.

But havent really succeeded yet, maybe someone has awnser to these issues

# Vcore:
Do more people have insane high vcore on auto? its 1.47 in bios if you leave it at auto?

# PBO
Adjusting cpu core ratio >> disables PBO
Adjusting blck / ref clock >> disables PBO
So guess this is not possible on this board?
or maybe it works when you leave voltages on auto? which I really dont want to do with this board

# Performance enhance 3
uses PBO with fixed scalar 1x
so less performance then Performance enhance 2 with scalar 10
useless if I cant change blck

# Performance enhance 4
to extreme overclock when using all 8 cores on full stress, its goes to 4200-4240
I need vcore votlage of 4.1 under max stress

so basicly missing some fine tune options to increase the overclock with PBO

Currently using:
- Performance enhance 2
- PBO enabled with scalar 10
- vcore 1.3250
- cpu LLC 3

idle / low load = 1.31 - 1.34
max stress all cores = 1.36 -1.38
2 cores boost to 4350 mhz
8 cores medium stress 4116-4166mhz
8 cores prime heavy stress 4050-4100

Something I noticed with PBO and windows power plan setttings:
The only way I can get to 4350 mhz when 2 cores are stressed is with 'windows balanced power plan'
and this power plan still gives me similar results compared to the other power plans when stressing all cores

You can test this e.g easily with Valley benchmark in window mode and change the power plan between
- high performance power plan
- ryzen balanced power plan
- Windows balanced power plan

Orb79 wrote:

hundreds of post about people with their fancy crosshair VII, hardy anything on the X470-F gaming

The x470-F Gaming is still the most expensive motherboard I've ever purchased. Which is why I was so concerned that I had bought a dud with all the spontaneous reboots and black screens I was getting. However, it's looking more and more to me that it was Asus AISuite causing the issues, as I haven't had a single reboot or black screen since earlier in the week (there was an IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL BSOD yesterday pointing to the NT Kernel, but that was the only one over the last couple of days). I'm waiting for the weekend before concluding the problem is fixed to see how it goes over an extended period of use.

To AniChatt - thanks for your help. I think you've just saved me from many more wasted hours/days/weeks and expense in replacing parts trying to troubleshoot the problem. As it is, I've already spent a few hundred $$ on a new power supply which I didn't need (may have a use in future though).

Thanks Asus - it would be great if you had a look at the problems AISuite is causing. The black screen and spontaneous reboots (with no BSOD log being generated) just looked very much like a hardware problem rather than pointing to a software issue - I was ready to RMA the board on warranty if I couldn't figure it out.

RealAntithesis wrote:
The x470-F Gaming is still the most expensive motherboard I've ever purchased. Which is why I was so concerned that I had bought a dud with all the spontaneous reboots and black screens I was getting. However, it's looking more and more to me that it was Asus AISuite causing the issues, as I haven't had a single reboot or black screen since earlier in the week (there was an IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL BSOD yesterday pointing to the NT Kernel, but that was the only one over the last couple of days). I'm waiting for the weekend before concluding the problem is fixed to see how it goes over an extended period of use.

To AniChatt - thanks for your help. I think you've just saved me from many more wasted hours/days/weeks and expense in replacing parts trying to troubleshoot the problem. As it is, I've already spent a few hundred $$ on a new power supply which I didn't need (may have a use in future though).

Thanks Asus - it would be great if you had a look at the problems AISuite is causing. The black screen and spontaneous reboots (with no BSOD log being generated) just looked very much like a hardware problem rather than pointing to a software issue - I was ready to RMA the board on warranty if I couldn't figure it out.


Glad to know it worked. If you want Aura then use aura and still you can use any 1 additional hw monitor and it will work just fine. For me, I have used it with Aura+HWinfo+Aorus engine with no issues. But if you are using Aura as smart temp lighting mode then you have to stop using HWinfo otherwise there may be issues. You may give it a try and update.

if you use too many programs reading the same smbus with their sensor software you will get errors. just stick to one prog only, dont have multible running. i think thats the prob.
Orwell was an optimist

Hi. 1st time poster and new ROGer. I've always admired ASUS, but this is my first build with their boards. I could use some encouragement...

Brand new rig: Ryzen 2700x, G.Skill 3200 FlareX kit, EVGA 850 Supernova, NZXT Kraken x62, Grizzly Conductonaut, NZXT S340 Elite case, Evo 960 M.2, WD Black 2TB, using StoreMI on those two disk drives.

I am not doing anything aggressive yet. Been using the D.O.C.P. AI Tweaker setting in BIOS (4011), mostly. I have tried leaving that setting on Auto and manually setting DRAM timings and voltages. Temps are good. I avoid running multiple HW monitors, just using either Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

I'm experiencing two lockukps:

1. She locks up randomly, without BSOD, nothing in the Windows Event Logs. I have to hold the power button, or sometimes actually pull the power cable. It boots fine after that. Only to lockup again at some point.
2. When I've tried to run long runs of Prime95, the screens will turn off (per the High Performance power plan, off in 15min) and I can not wake it back up. I can't tell if is actually locked up, or just asleep.

I've run an 1.5 hours of MemTest86 with no errors (or lockups), so I think the RAM is ok.

I'm hoping I missing something simple; maybe a voltage too high/low, a wakup setting (the ErP thing) set wrong.

Any advice on what to check?

Many thanks in advance.

-cgmjr

cgmjr wrote:
Hi. 1st time poster and new ROGer. I've always admired ASUS, but this is my first build with their boards. I could use some encouragement...

Brand new rig: Ryzen 2700x, G.Skill 3200 FlareX kit, EVGA 850 Supernova, NZXT Kraken x62, Grizzly Conductonaut, NZXT S340 Elite case, Evo 960 M.2, WD Black 2TB, using StoreMI on those two disk drives.

I am not doing anything aggressive yet. Been using the D.O.C.P. AI Tweaker setting in BIOS (4011), mostly. I have tried leaving that setting on Auto and manually setting DRAM timings and voltages. Temps are good. I avoid running multiple HW monitors, just using either Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

I'm experiencing two lockukps:

1. She locks up randomly, without BSOD, nothing in the Windows Event Logs. I have to hold the power button, or sometimes actually pull the power cable. It boots fine after that. Only to lockup again at some point.
2. When I've tried to run long runs of Prime95, the screens will turn off (per the High Performance power plan, off in 15min) and I can not wake it back up. I can't tell if is actually locked up, or just asleep.

I've run an 1.5 hours of MemTest86 with no errors (or lockups), so I think the RAM is ok.

I'm hoping I missing something simple; maybe a voltage too high/low, a wakup setting (the ErP thing) set wrong.

Any advice on what to check?

Many thanks in advance.

-cgmjr


Set everything to auto and do not apply docp. Download Intel Burn test and run it for 30 runs and high preset. Now check if it is stable or not. If stable then again restart and apply docp 3200 over previous default and schek with IBT again. If something is messy in this test then I would suggest you to roll back to 4008 bios and test it in the same way. I think it will not occur. Just to make sure use only hwinfo and don't use ryzen master. however the best way of ocing your cpu is through bios. Do not use any windows based dw for oc.

AniChatt wrote:
Set everything to auto and do not apply docp. Download Intel Burn test and run it for 30 runs and high preset. Now check if it is stable or not. If stable then again restart and apply docp 3200 over previous default and schek with IBT again. If something is messy in this test then I would suggest you to roll back to 4008 bios and test it in the same way. I think it will not occur. Just to make sure use only hwinfo and don't use ryzen master. however the best way of ocing your cpu is through bios. Do not use any windows based dw for oc.


Will do.

One update: I -may- have found the culprit: MSI Gaming App. I have an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 1060. It has a little bit of LED going on. I had it running in Services to apply a "breathing" effect to the card. On a hunch I removed it. System ran overnight on Prime95 without locking up. I've been fiddling with settings and such this morning, and the only lockup I've had is NZXT CAM software running concurrently with HWInfo (a known issue, yes? >1 monitoring apps running?)

Anyhoot, I'll give the IBT thing a go as well.

Many thanks for the reply, @AniChatt

My IBT results are in. Mostly positive.

I followed @AniChatt's instructions, and did a few extra runs. Reset all bios options to auto and then:

Run #1: Failed after 7 runs of IBT. Only HWInfo running, but "turn off monitor" was set to 15 min. I disabled that, and did not start HWInfo, yielding:
Run #2: Passed 30 runs. Applied D.O.C.P. and tried again, no HWInfo, giving:
Run #3: Passed 30 runs. I started HWInfo and tested again, resulting in:
Run #4: Failed after 12 runs. Screen was on, I could move the mouse, but IBT, HWInfo and then all windows went unresponsive. I rebooted, started NZXT CAM:
Run #5: Passed 15 of 15 runs.

I surmise that my issue is monitoring software sensor collisions. My previous, unpredictable lockups were due to MSI Gaming App running in the background while HWInfo, Ryzen Master, and CAM were trying to access the sensors at various times.

Next step: run no monitoring software and play some ARK and WoW. See how it does. Then fire up one monitor and see how THAT does.

Next question: What is the real advantage of overclocking these rigs at all? Left on all-auto I've seen some cores running a 4.4ghz for short periods of time. What's wrong with leaving it alone?

-cgmjr.