cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix X470-F Gaming owners thread

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello guys, I am starting this thread for all Stix X470-F owners to discuss their overclock settings, issues etc. So that everyone get help quickly in a organised way. Installed my old 1600x in this mobo with 4011 bios and flareX 3200 with default docp and it works just fine without any issues so far. One thing to mention The board pushes 1.15v soc default docp profile. Is it normal seems a bit high for me as I have upgraded from B350-F gaming.
However a small issue I believe, the asus lighting control is not behaving normal. I mean just after login to windows it is taking a bit time to start (5min) before that if I try to on Lighting Control by clicking it, program crash window appears after few seconds. But when it starts on it's own then I can open asus lighting control. Anyone experiencing similar issue???
Also tried to use older version.
969,020 Views
2,438 REPLIES 2,438

RealAntithesis
Level 7
Yep, I have this motherboard (bios version 4011). Unfortunately, my new build (2700x, 32gb ddr4) is giving me issues. My pc would reboot itself randomly, with no bsod dump generated. Sometimes, the screen would just go blank with all fans and lights still running (and I need to flick the switch on the psu to turn off - the power and reboot buttons would no longer work). I've put everything back to stock, and tried some of the suggestions from around the Web on similar issues - such as turning HPET on in Windows 10, switching power plan to high performance and nvidia card (2x1080tis) too, setting tdr delay to 8 seconds instead of 2 (turning off tdr detection would cause a hard freeze with screen still on when the issue happens again), turning off global c-states, setting psu idle power to current setting (and not low power) etc etc, but it still happens.

Usually the black screen or reboot would happen very soon after intense activity (such as the video card and CPU mining all day when I'm at work) - restarting manually immediately after stopping mining usually allows me to work uninterrupted for a couple of hours, but it would lock up at some point. The curious thing is, the pc can run for 9-10 hours straight at load when mining (note that I switch off the monitor during this time), but would invariably crash when I'm interacting with the system on minimal load.

This is pointing to some sort of hardware problem I think. I'm hoping it's not the motherboard. I've already replaced the psu with a 1000w corsair, provided each pcie power port on the video cards with their own separate cable to the psu, reclipped all the other cables, reseated the ram, video cards etc, conducted a ram test using hci memtest to 800%.

The next steps are going to involve swapping components with my other Ryzen 1700x pc (ram, CPU, 1050ti), which I was hoping to avoid, but I think I've exhausted other options at this point. I'll also change power points at the wall and see if that helps anything.

I suppose the point of my post is to see if anyone else is having similar issues with their Asus x470 system?

There is a post in the hardware build forum from somebody with a similar problem : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102241-Problems-from-Hell-itself

RealAntithesis wrote:
Yep, I have this motherboard (bios version 4011). Unfortunately, my new build (2700x, 32gb ddr4) is giving me issues. My pc would reboot itself randomly, with no bsod dump generated. Sometimes, the screen would just go blank with all fans and lights still running (and I need to flick the switch on the psu to turn off - the power and reboot buttons would no longer work). I've put everything back to stock, and tried some of the suggestions from around the Web on similar issues - such as turning HPET on in Windows 10, switching power plan to high performance and nvidia card (2x1080tis) too, setting tdr delay to 8 seconds instead of 2 (turning off tdr detection would cause a hard freeze with screen still on when the issue happens again), turning off global c-states, setting psu idle power to current setting (and not low power) etc etc, but it still happens.

Usually the black screen or reboot would happen very soon after intense activity (such as the video card and CPU mining all day when I'm at work) - restarting manually immediately after stopping mining usually allows me to work uninterrupted for a couple of hours, but it would lock up at some point. The curious thing is, the pc can run for 9-10 hours straight at load when mining (note that I switch off the monitor during this time), but would invariably crash when I'm interacting with the system on minimal load.

This is pointing to some sort of hardware problem I think. I'm hoping it's not the motherboard. I've already replaced the psu with a 1000w corsair, provided each pcie power port on the video cards with their own separate cable to the psu, reclipped all the other cables, reseated the ram, video cards etc, conducted a ram test using hci memtest to 800%.

The next steps are going to involve swapping components with my other Ryzen 1700x pc (ram, CPU, 1050ti), which I was hoping to avoid, but I think I've exhausted other options at this point. I'll also change power points at the wall and see if that helps anything.

I suppose the point of my post is to see if anyone else is having similar issues with their Asus x470 system?

There is a post in the hardware build forum from somebody with a similar problem : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102241-Problems-from-Hell-itself


Are you running multiple hardware monitoring software like AiSuite+HWinfo or something? In that case remove one and the black screen issue will stop.

I am running Asus AISuite with MSI Afterburner. Are you saying these are incompatible because they are monitoring the same sensors? That's a bit of an oversight by Asus or MSI (or Microsoft etc) if that's the case. I'll uninstall AISuite and see if that helps (I use Afterburner hotkeys to switch between power profiles for my 1080tis so they don't overheat when I'm mining). Thanks.

RealAntithesis wrote:
I am running Asus AISuite with MSI Afterburner. Are you saying these are incompatible because they are monitoring the same sensors? That's a bit of an oversight by Asus or MSI (or Microsoft etc) if that's the case. I'll uninstall AISuite and see if that helps (I use Afterburner hotkeys to switch between power profiles for my 1080tis so they don't overheat when I'm mining). Thanks.


Ok chances are less since afterburner and AI suite is not supposed to create conflict but AI suite is buggy so remove it first. However I think you have aura installed. Is it set to sence mode where the led colour changes with cpu utilization/temp?

Yep - I have Aura installed, but it's set to rainbow, mostly because I've been pre-occupied with the crashing to change it to monitor cpu temps (my preferred). Will this cause the same issue if it is synced to temps?

I've now uninstalled AISuite and kept Afterburner running. So far so good. I didn't manually restart after stopping mining, and it's been a few hours of working normally with no crash yet. I'm getting mildly optimistic now 🙂

RealAntithesis wrote:
Yep - I have Aura installed, but it's set to rainbow, mostly because I've been pre-occupied with the crashing to change it to monitor cpu temps (my preferred). Will this cause the same issue if it is synced to temps?

I've now uninstalled AISuite and kept Afterburner running. So far so good. I didn't manually restart after stopping mining, and it's been a few hours of working normally with no crash yet. I'm getting mildly optimistic now 🙂


Ok the problem is when you try to access the sensors with more than one hw monitors then there will be black screen due to conflict. You can install hwinfo+msi afterburner this should work fine. Avoid AISuite for all cost it is a devil made by asus.

AniChatt wrote:
Ok the problem is when you try to access the sensors with more than one hw monitors then there will be black screen due to conflict. You can install hwinfo+msi afterburner this should work fine. Avoid AISuite for all cost it is a devil made by asus.



this solved my problem but it came back after prim 95

AniChatt wrote:
Are you running multiple hardware monitoring software like AiSuite+HWinfo or something? In that case remove one and the black screen issue will stop.


The only time I experience monitor switching of or complete freeze is when I was testing the minimal vcore needed.

when vcore on idle was to low, would ussualy freeze, cant move mouse anymore. When vcore on load was to low screen would go black, this was mostly when gaming.

dunno if you changed vcore from auto to some fixed value with LLC. Im doing this because find the default vcore to high

Orb79 wrote:
The only time I experience monitor switching of or complete freeze is when I was testing the minimal vcore needed.

when vcore on idle was to low, would ussualy freeze, cant move mouse anymore. When vcore on load was to low screen would go black, this was mostly when gaming.

dunno if you changed vcore from auto to some fixed value with LLC. Im doing this because find the default vcore to high


default vcore is high because of core performance boost is on. To reduce the default vcore you need to turn off CPB or PBO then test it. However it will no longer boost to higher frequency.