cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming bios downgrade?

KILLER_K
Level 10
I purchased this to do a small build. But from the information on Amazon's page it showed it had a bios flash back button. After taking out the box and looking I now see it doesn't. My fault for not doing better research. I have an older CPU I was going to use in it. But it is not supported in this since it comes with the 2nd to latest bios preinstalled. I looked and googled and there seems to be no way to go down ion the bios since it has a later bios.

My options are just return the board, sell it to someone local to help them with a build if they need it. I don't really want to buy a new CPU as they are going to jump to a new socket soon. So, it be kinda pointless to buy a CPU for a dead socket this late in the game. Or even a newer low-end CPU new or used now.

Any thoughts or suggestions to try at this point. I read a few post saying they was able to go down in bios. But never seen anything or showed an proof. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any better suggestions at this point and time for the board. Why Asus didn't put a bios flash back button on a high end ITX is beyond me. But in my opinion all boards should come with them and would help out the end users as well. It should be a standard now for all makers.
6 REPLIES 6

ationfictons
Level 10
I don't know if they're still doing this (I assume so), but AMD has a "Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit" where you can get a loaner CPU to update your BIOS:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

But, with my experience with Asus' X570-I Gaming, I'd just return it and replace it with their B550-I Gaming. That board has BIOS Flashback, a front-panel USB-C connector and, most importantly, a chipset fan that won't drive you crazy (of course that could be simply a bad board in my case):

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128486-How-Loud-is-the-Chipset-Fan-on-the-ROG-Strix-B550-I...

I returned my X570 to Amazon without problem, got a store credit (I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the B550 route at the time), and then got the Asus B550-I Gaming later. No problems with it except it has one fewer USB connector on the back than the X570-I does (and I need that extra connector).

KILLER_K
Level 10
Unfortunately the loaner program will not help me at all. It is for going up in bios version not down. Since Asus locks you out, unless you have that wonderful bios flash back button they decided to leave out for us. We are stuck with no options.

I guess that I could pay money to send it to Asus to reflash the bios. That just doesn't sit well with me for something they over looked on their end. I honestly couldn't tell you if the fan is loud or anything with the board. Since it is basically dead to me now.

I will keep searching and looking. But as noted it doesn't look good for me. I am not trying to hammer Asus but their logic is a bit backwards now. Lower end board, here have a bios flash back button. High end x570 board you get nothing. You just have to laugh sometimes.

ationfictons
Level 10
I was thinking that with a supported CPU, you could get into the BIOS and flash an older version. But, now that you mention it, I don't think it's possible to do a normal flash to an older version. Drat. Sorry about that.

KILLER_K
Level 10
No worries at all. But that is correct. Once you update to the newer "CAP" bios you are stuck there. As noted unless you are lucky to have the bios flash back button. I appreciate the help just the same.

KILLER_K
Level 10
What about one of those USB flashers with a SOP8 clip? I would have figured someone woulds have gotten around this on here. I guess Asus did it for this purpose to spend more money on a board or RMA it though.

KILLER_K
Level 10
Anyone need a new board? Since this is wasting my time. Will trade or sale it. Hit me up if you are interested in it. Time to move on to other things.