cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING Not Posting Q-Code 36 and 39

_rage_
Level 7
My ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING refuse to post.

I get this error on the Q-code "36 "CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization "
And white VGA LED shines on motherboard.

My specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C17Q-64GTZSW (Compatible on QVL list for this motherboard)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1080Ti OC (Newest firmware and Nvidia DP 1.4 patch)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

What I have tried to solve this problem.

* I have flashed ALL bios versions supporting 5000 series CPU using BIOS Flashback, several times with every hardware change like RAM. Flash process works, light blinks slow, then faster for a few minutes and goes out at the end.
Versions tested:
2606
2802
2812
2816
3001
3202
3402

*I have reseated CPU, RAM, GPU and all power cables hundreds of times.

*I have inspected every port possible on motherboard and all connections on hardware for dirt or damage with my 20X magnification glasses. Nothing found.
*Processor Pins are all in good condition, nothing bent.

*GPU and PSU works perfectly fine in my old computer that I use daily,

*I tested all possible RAM configurations with 1 stick, 2 sticks and all 4 sticks. And yes of course the recommended A2 B2 positions.
*I tested another set of RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16

*I reset BIOS many times by jumper on motherboard, by removing battery for hours.
*Tested to clear CMOS before BIOS flash.
*Tested to clear CMOS after BIOS flash.
*Tested to clear CMOS before and after BIOS flash before first attempt to power on.

*I tested another GPU that works in my old computer ASUS Geforce ENGTX 560Ti DCII TOP
*I tested GPU in all 3 PCI-E sockets.

*I tested using 3 different screens.
*I tested several different HDMI cables and DVI cables.

*I tested with all my drives, fans, USB ports connected.
*I tested with the bare minimum of 8Pin CPU, 24Pin Motherboard power, 2x 6Pin GPU power and GPU, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, 1Cpu fan and Power button connection to motherboard.

*Tested different cables on my PSU for GPU.

*I tested to not have any RAM at all, Got error 21. (Ram error)
*I tested to flash a BIOS that are old and don't support 5000 series. Got CPU error RED CPU LED.
*I tried many more tings that I forgot to mention, I'm totally out of ideas by long ago.
*I tried to remove the GPU, then it's the same error. Same if it's plugged in and if it's not. (GPU works in my old computer though)
*I even prayed to god for mercy.


Error is always the same. Stops on Q-code 36 and white VGA LED shines.
I tried to let it sit on that error for over 14 hours, noting happens.

When I power on the fans start, rgb on GPU lights up, looks very normal.
Motherboard flips through the qcodes, in the end it goes to these codes 36->39->36 and stops there and then GPU slows down and stop spinning, but RGB shines. (GPU fans don't spin in idle in windows btw only when under load or startup)

That Q-Code 39 that it flips too for a half a second is "Post-Memory North Bridge initialization (North Bridge module specific)"

So this is what I got:
"36" "CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization "
"39" "Post-Memory North Bridge initialization (North Bridge module specific)"

Seems to me there is a problem in the early post process once System Management Mode is initialized and once it have reserved it's RAM or something and then try to proceed with it's thing. Maybe get locked in itself and don't release hypervisor control back to BIOS/OS and freeze on 36?
CPU broken? Firmware Bug?
I'm not too familiar with this process so could be totally wrong here.

I contacted ASUS support, they said I had tried everything and that I should return the motherboard to seller.
I returned the motherboard to seller, they tested it with an 5800X CPU and unknown RAM,GPU,PSU and they got it to post and boot windows 10 and run Cinebench.
They also said they updated the Bios as I requested them to do. (In case BIOS flashback was corrupted somehow)

When board was returned to me, it was still the same error with my 5900X and my hardware.

Any ideas? I have been trying to solve this for about 2 months now. 😞
15,856 Views
12 REPLIES 12

primeshooter
Level 10
_rage_ wrote:
My ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING refuse to post.

I get this error on the Q-code "36 "CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization "
And white VGA LED shines on motherboard.

My specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C17Q-64GTZSW (Compatible on QVL list for this motherboard)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1080Ti OC (Newest firmware and Nvidia DP 1.4 patch)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

What I have tried to solve this problem.

* I have flashed ALL bios versions supporting 5000 series CPU using BIOS Flashback, several times with every hardware change like RAM. Flash process works, light blinks slow, then faster for a few minutes and goes out at the end.
Versions tested:
2606
2802
2812
2816
3001
3202
3402

*I have reseated CPU, RAM, GPU and all power cables hundreds of times.

*I have inspected every port possible on motherboard and all connections on hardware for dirt or damage with my 20X magnification glasses. Nothing found.
*Processor Pins are all in good condition, nothing bent.

*GPU and PSU works perfectly fine in my old computer that I use daily,

*I tested all possible RAM configurations with 1 stick, 2 sticks and all 4 sticks. And yes of course the recommended A2 B2 positions.
*I tested another set of RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16

*I reset BIOS many times by jumper on motherboard, by removing battery for hours.
*Tested to clear CMOS before BIOS flash.
*Tested to clear CMOS after BIOS flash.
*Tested to clear CMOS before and after BIOS flash before first attempt to power on.

*I tested another GPU that works in my old computer ASUS Geforce ENGTX 560Ti DCII TOP
*I tested GPU in all 3 PCI-E sockets.

*I tested using 3 different screens.
*I tested several different HDMI cables and DVI cables.

*I tested with all my drives, fans, USB ports connected.
*I tested with the bare minimum of 8Pin CPU, 24Pin Motherboard power, 2x 6Pin GPU power and GPU, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, 1Cpu fan and Power button connection to motherboard.

*Tested different cables on my PSU for GPU.

*I tested to not have any RAM at all, Got error 21. (Ram error)
*I tested to flash a BIOS that are old and don't support 5000 series. Got CPU error RED CPU LED.
*I tried many more tings that I forgot to mention, I'm totally out of ideas by long ago.
*I tried to remove the GPU, then it's the same error. Same if it's plugged in and if it's not. (GPU works in my old computer though)
*I even prayed to god for mercy.


Error is always the same. Stops on Q-code 36 and white VGA LED shines.
I tried to let it sit on that error for over 14 hours, noting happens.

When I power on the fans start, rgb on GPU lights up, looks very normal.
Motherboard flips through the qcodes, in the end it goes to these codes 36->39->36 and stops there and then GPU slows down and stop spinning, but RGB shines. (GPU fans don't spin in idle in windows btw only when under load or startup)

That Q-Code 39 that it flips too for a half a second is "Post-Memory North Bridge initialization (North Bridge module specific)"

So this is what I got:
"36" "CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization "
"39" "Post-Memory North Bridge initialization (North Bridge module specific)"

Seems to me there is a problem in the early post process once System Management Mode is initialized and once it have reserved it's RAM or something and then try to proceed with it's thing. Maybe get locked in itself and don't release hypervisor control back to BIOS/OS and freeze on 36?
CPU broken? Firmware Bug?
I'm not too familiar with this process so could be totally wrong here.

I contacted ASUS support, they said I had tried everything and that I should return the motherboard to seller.
I returned the motherboard to seller, they tested it with an 5800X CPU and unknown RAM,GPU,PSU and they got it to post and boot windows 10 and run Cinebench.
They also said they updated the Bios as I requested them to do. (In case BIOS flashback was corrupted somehow)

When board was returned to me, it was still the same error with my 5900X and my hardware.

Any ideas? I have been trying to solve this for about 2 months now. 😞


Lower your RAM SOC voltage to 1.06250 and let us know if this works.

I have found the problem!

The problem was the Corsair AX1200i. It works in my old coputer but not this newer one using exact same cables.
I tested a friends PSU and it posts. If I change back to the AX1200i it gets same error again!

I'm going to forward this info to ASUS and Corsair and maybe AMD and hopefully they can find the bug/error and prevent it in the future.

_rage_ wrote:
I have found the problem!

The problem was the Corsair AX1200i. It works in my old coputer but not this newer one using exact same cables.
I tested a friends PSU and it posts. If I change back to the AX1200i it gets same error again!

I'm going to forward this info to ASUS and Corsair and maybe AMD and hopefully they can find the bug/error and prevent it in the future.


Why report it to Asus and AMD? the Corsair AX1200i is from 2012 and is EOL.

If your PSU has a problem/ broke down Asus and AMD can to noting.

The PSU has a 10 years warranty so you can only RMA it to Corsair.

I dont find any1 else on the internet with the same problem, then its just your PSU who has a problem.

Asus Q-code 36= CPU post-memory initialization
Asus Q-code 39= Post-Memory System Agent initialization is started

http://www.asusqcodes.com/

I had the same problem with the same power supply: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122495-Asus-ROG-Strix-X570-E-4000Mhz-DDR4&p=825312#post825...

Has PSU tech changed?
Not to my knowledge.

First of all, my friends PSU was a Corsair 750W.
I only used the 8 pin CPU power cable.

Erwin05 wrote:
Why report it to Asus and AMD? the Corsair AX1200i is from 2012 and is EOL.

If your PSU has a problem/ broke down Asus and AMD can to noting.

The PSU has a 10 years warranty so you can only RMA it to Corsair.

I dont find any1 else on the internet with the same problem, then its just your PSU who has a problem.

Asus Q-code 36= CPU post-memory initialization
Asus Q-code 39= Post-Memory System Agent initialization is started

http://www.asusqcodes.com/

I disagree, a 7-8 years old high end quality PSU is definitely not end of life hardware.
I have found several people with this same error and been in contact with a few of them. What we have is this exact motherboard and CPU, and in one case the same PSU.

I'm reporting to ASUS because it could be a problem with x570 motherboards and AMD because it could be the new Ryzen CPU 5000 series.
One who had this exact same problem got his motherboard to post with an Ryzen 3900 but not his 5900x in the same motherboard.

Erwin05 wrote:
https://youtu.be/-IqP2ot8w34?t=499

This could be your problem.

The AMD Ryzen 5900X is a high end CPU. I think u need that extra cable.

The extra 4 pin cable is not needed.
The 8 pin can draw 375 amps.
If you gonna draw more than that and need 25 more you use the 4 pin as well, in that case you will not only overclock your CPU but also your power phases to the extremes and you will cool your system with liquid nitrogen.

Check Buildzoid on the tube he explains it pretty well.

Btw I only used the 8 pin from a low-mid tier Corsair PSU that is rated 750W and the motherboard posts.

My AX1200i works perfectly fine in my old computer right now, never ever have it behaved badly and I used it with high overclocks, double powerhungry GPUs and 8 harddrives. It can deliver, no problem. And even that system I used it for was not even close to it's full capacity.

The AX1200i is a beast of a PSU made of high tier components.

Something very fishy is going on here. Here's a review that used a Corsair AX1200i + 5900x but with a X570 ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO motherboard instead....

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-and-5950x-review,8.html

Erwin05
Level 10
This board has a extra 4 pin ATX power connector.

1x8 pin + 1x4 pin ATX power connector.

My understanding is that only the 8 power pin is necessary...?

Bcspd wrote:
My understanding is that only the 8 power pin is necessary...?


https://youtu.be/-IqP2ot8w34?t=499

This could be your problem.

The AMD Ryzen 5900X is a high end CPU. I think u need that extra cable.